Doorless time and rainy day

Fir-na-tine

Caught the Bug
Been doorless and topless since September of last year.......summer here in South Florida is brutal and it rains nearly every day..........I've been caught several times while driving and gotten soaked......but as someone on here said "It's a rite of passage" and is bound to happen........I bought a Bestop cover which I keep in the back and I check my Wunderground app for local radar every time I head out.........if the weather calls for rain for an extended period of time I take my other vehicle..........going to stay open aired till I get tired of it which is probably never....:beer::rock:
image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

loscann48

I hit that rite of passage today, complete down pour, with thunder and lightining. At least I had my top, just no doors (unlike the guy I saw driving the other way all bundled up in a sweatshirt.

Sent from my ADR6400L using WAYALIFE mobile app

In5ane1

So....what do you do with the carpet after it gets wet. I got soaked on the way home the other day and have pulled all edges of carpet up to help it dry. Its been a pain. Just didnt want any mildew or mold.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using WAYALIFE mobile app

munstie

So....what do you do with the carpet after it gets wet. I got soaked on the way home the other day and have pulled all edges of carpet up to help it dry. Its been a pain. Just didnt want any mildew or mold.

I pulled mine out the last time I was caught in a downpour and hung them up to dry.

2011 JKU 3.5 R.E. Longarm lift.

In5ane1

I pulled mine out the last time I was caught in a downpour and hung them up to dry.

How difficult are they to pull all way out? Almost looks like youd have to remove back seat

munstie

How difficult are they to pull all way out? Almost looks like youd have to remove back seat

There not that bad, if the carpet has never been out you may need to finish the cuts around the seat brackets. I used a pair of heavy duty scissors to cut mine.Then it's just a matter of working the carpet out, it also makes it easier if you pop the plastic trim by the door sills out but can be done with them in.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I just pulled really hard around the seat brackets, carpet came out fine. Take it out and hang it up to dry, youll be fine. I just run without it on the floors now, but put the carpet back in the cargo are to keep my crap from sliding around.

noroad

so im guessing other people do this as well but i went the whole summer besides 5 days with out doors and im from Boston. My trick is some times i move the seats forward like your going to put people in the back. this in my opinnion does two thinks 1 keeps the side rain from hitting the center where jeep has put everything(provided the top is up) 2 it also keeps some of the seat dry. never had a problem so far.

Diver_matt

I've been caught in a downpour twice. No top, no doors. Visibility sucked. As soon as sun came out I parked it in the sun all day. No residual issues. I did close the tuffy door over my stereo. Replacing that would have cost almost as much as my tires. Yikes!!

Slappy32

I'm GM at a mostly outdoor restaurant in the Florida Keys. I use an iPhone app called Radar Scope and I swear by it. No weather sites, just raw radar feeds for the entire country. It's pricey at ten bucks, but well worth it for me since weather really affects the bottom line. http://radarscope.tv/products/

Christarp

Since I live in the PNW we get rain for pretty much every day from october to may. That being said I have gone doorless and topless in my JKU in the mountains to go wheeling up at Tillamook state forest in a downpour. The only thing I had on was my freedom panels. The inside of the windshield will need to be wiped down after a bit, but other than that it's fairly easy to stay dry in a downpour even with only the freedom panels on. For the rear passengers it's a much different story. The tires have a much easier time throwing mud and water into the rear passenger seat than the front ones, and without freedom panels they'll be pretty much soaked. When I went I actually hadn't put my rear seats back in since I bedlined the tub and there was a ton of water and mud back there.

bznC1n3.jpg

This was after it had all dried out so it doesn't look as bad, but it was bad. The seats would've been a terrible thing to clean so I'm glad they weren't there that day. As for the front, again you'll get a little bit of mist, but it's really tolerable, and then from the air flowing over the freedom panels (if you leave them in) you'll get a bit of water that drips off the back and manages to blow towards the front. but again it's only a few drips. I also drove like this for the better part of a week to work where it rained heavily every day, the most that got wet were a bit of the sides on the seats from rain blowing sideways while it was sitting overnight, but it wasn't too bad. As for my radio, everything still works (even my subwoofer which kind of surprised me).

Rayz

I just got caught in the rain the other day on the way home completely naked and like Eddie said if your cruising u don't have to worry to much until u stop :cheesy: after that day I put my freedom top on and got caught in another one last night don't really have to worry about it with the freedom top on except for when you turn. Some water gets on the door jams but that's about it o and sometimes it comes down the speaker bar to but my radio got soaked and I haven't had any issues yet with it. Just got to deal with the funny looks you will get

hehe if its any consolation, I drove through 4 states one time and not once were the "real time' weather reports even remotely accurate ...lol

Woody3

I've been caught out in the rain more than a few times without doors or top. No issues with any stock electronics whatsoever. I just make sure I wipe everything down when I get home. It seems like its always freaking raining here! Life WAYALIFE said, you'll definitely want to carry a rag around with you to wipe the inside of the windshield. Having to use your sleeves and hat sucks!
View attachment 44988
View attachment 44989
View attachment 44990
View attachment 44991

EDIT: I have since removed the carpet on the floors because that's a pain is the A$$ to dry ot all the time. As humid as it is here, when I put the doors back on and the carpet was wet, I would have my own damn rainstorm in the Jeep. Condensation dripping from the roof, dash, windows, everywhere! Wont do that again!!

Side note:

Diggin the 5fingers. I've got two pairs and love them.

....,,,Return to normal thread......

Keep your head low and your powder dry.

Twiztid11

Well it was bound to happen, I checked the weather it said 10% chance of rain. I chanced it by leaving the top off. While eating I look outside and it's pouring buckets!!!! I run out throw the top back on, when the rains stopped I got a vacuum to suck up the cup holders that were filled with water and a heater gun to dry off the seats. It was an experience.

2014 JKU, manual, stock....for now.
Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

S7DZ

I live in Seattle. From memorial day to Sept. I have my summer top on and doors off. I an amp and 2 10" sub's in the back and have never had a problem with rain. I get a little wet especially with the bikini top, the water seems to roll right into your lap but the only problem I've had was fording a pond I shorted out my ground but that's it

Top Bottom