Drag Link won't unthread

NME

So after about 40 minutes with a cold chisel and 4lb mallet I got the nut off the drag link bolt. The threads on the nut were toasted. Now I just need to get the damn drag link to drop. Was out there hammering and pickle forking(?) for about an hour now and the damn thing still won't drop out. Sprayed some PB, hammered all around the pitman arm with a ball peen and the mallet, tried to use a prybar for downward pressure on the bolt using the frame as an anchor point, and tried several combinations of all of the above. Stubborn son of a bitch.

WJCO

Meme King
So after about 40 minutes with a cold chisel and 4lb mallet I got the nut off the drag link bolt. The threads on the nut were toasted. Now I just need to get the damn drag link to drop. Was out there hammering and pickle forking(?) for about an hour now and the damn thing still won't drop out. Sprayed some PB, hammered all around the pitman arm with a ball peen and the mallet, tried to use a prybar for downward pressure on the bolt using the frame as an anchor point, and tried several combinations of all of the above. Stubborn son of a bitch.
Glad you got it off. Pickle fork and hammer should do the trick as long as the drag link stud didn't leave material mushroomed on top of the pitman arm bore. You will have to hit that pickle fork hard.

Reactions: NME

NME

Glad you got it off. Pickle fork and hammer should do the trick as long as the drag link stud didn't leave material mushroomed on top of the pitman arm bore. You will have to hit that pickle fork hard.
Yeah I have been hammering it until its solid and then double hand swinging to no avail. So I soaked the hell out of it right now in PB and I will be going back tomorrow to try again. Arms and hands are swollen and sore as hell right now from hammering that pickle fork to death. If nothing else I might try and just jack the bolt top up with a chisel and maybe it'll help coerce it down. Hopefully I wont have to do that though. I'll take the small win for the day though.

jdofmemi

Put your purse down, use two hands on a hammer bigger than a ball pien. This is a job for a BFH, and swing it like you are aiming for someone you hate.

MericaMade

Are you leaving the Draglink connected to the knuckle? If so take it off the knuckle and flatten out the draglink angle using something to tie it up on the pass side. This takes off some bind off the pitman arm.

NME

Put your purse down, use two hands on a hammer bigger than a ball pien. This is a job for a BFH, and swing it like you are aiming for someone you hate.
Oh no I have been using a mallet not the ball-peen. Lol. I have been two handing the mallet swings on the pickle fork. I have a 10lb sledge I will be taking to it today.

NME

Are you leaving the Draglink connected to the knuckle? If so take it off the knuckle and flatten out the draglink angle using something to tie it up on the pass side. This takes off some bind off the pitman arm.
You know I did leave it on the knuckle so I will tie it up with a strap. Thanks for the suggestion

NME

20210504_143300.jpg I have been sledge smashing this asshole to death and it doesn't look like it's moved even a little bit. I've washed it in PB blaster, smacked all over the link and pitman arm, anchored the other side above and parallel to the pitman arm, and combinations of the above. Beside cutting it off, any other suggestions?

View attachment 362599 I have been sledge smashing this asshole to death and it doesn't look like it's moved even a little bit. I've washed it in PB blaster, smacked all over the link and pitman arm, anchored the other side above and parallel to the pitman arm, and combinations of the above. Beside cutting it off, any other suggestions?
Replace the pitman and the link. but really, just cut the damn thing off already you seem to be making this harder then it needs to be. Can also try a propane torch and heating the shit out of it and then hitting it. Get creative with a c clamp to put downward force on it while you beat it, etc etc.... get redneck on it already.

NME

Replace the pitman and the link. but really, just cut the damn thing off already you seem to be making this harder then it needs to be. Can also try a propane torch and heating the shit out of it and then hitting it. Get creative with a c clamp to put downward force on it while you beat it, etc etc.... get redneck on it already.
I've just been trying to avoid buying more tools if I didn't need to. Tried the c clamp already. The bolt looks bent which might be why it isn't dropping. If I cut it off at the bolt and arm bore it should release it?

WJCO

Meme King
I have been sledge smashing this asshole to death and it doesn't look like it's moved even a little bit. I've washed it in PB blaster, smacked all over the link and pitman arm, anchored the other side above and parallel to the pitman arm, and combinations of the above. Beside cutting it off, any other suggestions?
Pretend in your head that the flat end of the pickle fork is one inch closer to the pitman arm while you're swinging. In other words, in your mind, don't picture the hammer hitting the end of the fork, rather picture the hammer swinging through it. I know that sounds silly, but it works. In your mind, don't let the hammer stop when it makes contact with the fork.

photo_movieMatrix-quoteSpoon.jpg

Is the oil from the boot or the PB blaster flammable?
I understand that when you first start working on cars, especially ones you’ve put significant amounts of your paycheck on you want to be nice to them. But you need to beat the fuxking shit out of it, burn it, cut it, do what you need to do bc at this point id say you’ve damaged it enough that it’s not safe to drive until you replace. Fucking kill it dude.
Also, you always need more tools that’s no excuse.

NME

I understand that when you first start working on cars, especially ones you’ve put significant amounts of your paycheck on you want to be nice to them. But you need to beat the fuxking shit out of it, burn it, cut it, do what you need to do bc at this point id say you’ve damaged it enough that it’s not safe to drive until you replace. Fucking kill it dude.
Just went and bought the Milwuakee hackzall and about to cut it off.

NME

Gonna cut it off in a minute and if it still won't come out for whatever reason I'll go to the torch next.

Top Bottom