Driveline length

black pearl

Hooked
So when I got my gears put in. They told me my rear driveline was too long. Now I don’t disagree with them. The numbers do show it can be a little shorter.
the Jeep driveline space
Ride hight 44”
Full droop 42 3/4”

driveline fully compressed
42 1/2 😬

now my mental dilemma. I don’t have time to get it into the driveline shop to have it shortened (the shops schedule, not mine), before the next rubicon run. But is it really worth it to put limiting straps in for one run. I mean sure there is the chance of hitting full drop on the trail. Most likely though it’ll be heavy articulation, that would keep the driveline in a acceptable range.
Thoughts or ideas?

A few years ago, I bought a front “one-length-fits-all” for a 3 1/2” lift because I needed something quickly off the shelf and it was always a bit too long.

I could look under my Jeep at 90% axle droop and see the driveshaft fully compressed.

I finally got it shortened at a local shop, but for the time that I ran it, I don’t have any noticeable lasting issues. I think the T case has a little lateral play…

in other words, it probably wasn’t great for my driveline but nothing got grenaded. If you are 1/4” on the right side of the fence, you should be fine to run the rubicon one time.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
So when I got my gears put in. They told me my rear driveline was too long. Now I don’t disagree with them. The numbers do show it can be a little shorter.
the Jeep driveline space
Ride hight 44”
Full droop 42 3/4”

driveline fully compressed
42 1/2 😬

now my mental dilemma. I don’t have time to get it into the driveline shop to have it shortened (the shops schedule, not mine), before the next rubicon run. But is it really worth it to put limiting straps in for one run. I mean sure there is the chance of hitting full drop on the trail. Most likely though it’ll be heavy articulation, that would keep the driveline in a acceptable range.
Thoughts or ideas?
Haven’t you also been running it that way for quite some time or is it a new driveshaft? I’d say you’re fine because you still have that 1/4”. Also if you had the wiggle room and adjustable control arms you could move the axle back slightly instead of shortening the shaft.

black pearl

Hooked
Haven’t you also been running it that way for quite some time or is it a new driveshaft? I’d say you’re fine because you still have that 1/4”. Also if you had the wiggle room and adjustable control arms you could move the axle back slightly instead of shortening the shaft.
I have been running it for a few years now, but I have much more travel now with the coilovers.
I do have adjustable control arms now! I didn’t even think of that possibility. That’s also a much cheaper option!! Thanks for the idea!

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
I have been running it for a few years now, but I have much more travel now with the coilovers.
I do have adjustable control arms now! I didn’t even think of that possibility. That’s also a much cheaper option!! Thanks for the idea!
No problem. Hopefully you have clearance so you don’t cause any rubbing. But yea, that would save you a few bucks.

Top Bottom