Drives like crap

rogerk93

Remove the spring booster while leaving the superchips tune, the condition should improve, also the superchip tunes are way too aggressive on engine timing, at least in other platforms where V8's are involved, I know people that run their 91 tune with 93 octane to avoid engine ping. You migth want to try how she feels with the stock tune, all you need to do is adjust the tire size worst case and that's about it.

I run 91 myself, don't really care about the 87 octane piss we get around here, and not only I can see timing advance, knock retard, fuel trims, mass aircharge, torque management etc, etc, I can change and improve what the factory did, I don't use the kiddy type superchip stuff, I use a pro Tuning software to get the job done.

I run 33's with the factory 3.21's and my own tune, no complaints about power so far, and I'll venture to say if you were staying with 33's, you didn't need to regear, I love how the new engine/trans feel like compared to the old 3.8 or 3.7 engines/trans setup.

I did remove the sprint booster to see if it changed. I hate the response I get without the sprint booster. It makes a noticeable difference. We don't have 91 around my area we have 87,89,and 93

rogerk93

You bought a jeep, not a mustang. Also, the bolded comment tells me that you don't seem to know much about modern engines. The only thing that will help you is changing out your gear ratio.

I didn't even realize it was in bold. But I would say I am pretty inclined with modern engines as I was a mechanic for 5 years prior from my current job and still currently work and cars and my own jeep.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I didn't even realize it was in bold. But I would say I am pretty inclined with modern engines as I was a mechanic for 5 years prior from my current job and still currently work and cars and my own jeep.

I didn't mean to offend you, just that someone saying they were thinking about changing spark plugs to increase performance threw me. Regardless, the only real performance gains you are going to get (other than going with forced induction) are going to be the gears, which are BY FAR the best bang for the buck,

rogerk93

I didn't mean to offend you, just that someone saying they were thinking about changing spark plugs to increase performance threw me. Regardless, the only real performance gains you are going to get (other than going with forced induction) are going to be the gears, which are BY FAR the best bang for the buck,

I plan on re-gearing to 5:13 once I go to 37's beginning of next year

Saharacon

I plan on re-gearing to 5:13 once I go to 37's beginning of next year

Perfect you'll gain a lot of your power back. MPG almost always increases in regear cases. And quite frankly unless your planning on building or buying new axles you should regear.

Just like you should add a trans cooler. It's just a must if you truly want to enjoy your jeep

BDSJEEP

I have a 14 jku that drives pretty bad. It has superchip 93 tune, (I use 93 octane gas),sprint booster always in aggressive mode. 33x12.5 bfg km2 used mobile 1 extended performance since the first oil change. Added a transmission cooler but I'm still getting lack of power until 4,000 rpm then it picks up pretty good. Gear change is sluggish at times. I recently changed my gear oil. Gears are currently stock 3.21. I'm thinking about changing the spark plugs but not sure if that will help.

So as some of you might already know, I just recently bought my JKU.

While I was shopping around and taking a ton of test drives at various dealers around my area, I came across this brand new JKU Sport that was all ready tricked out with bumpers, sliders, what looked like a budget lift kit with 35" Nittos. It had a hefty price tag on it...especially for a Sport trim level! So I took it for a spin, what the heck, and HAHA! OMG! GUTLESS WONDER!!

...then I looked at the window sticker after I got back and ...no wonder...it still had the 3.21s in it! ...on 35s! *smDh*

Good luck to whomever purchases that vehicle! :thinking:

Last edited:

jesse3638

Hooked
So as some of you might already know, I just recently bought my JKU.

While I was shopping around and taking a ton of test drives at various dealers around my area, I came across this brand new JKU Sport that was all ready tricked out with bumpers, sliders, what looked like a budget lift kit with 35" Nittos. It had a hefty price tag on it...especially for a Sport trim level! So I took it for a spin, what the heck, and HAHA! OMG! GUTLESS WONDER!!

...then I looked at the window sticker after I got back and ...no wonder...it still had the 3.21s in it! ...on 35s! *smDh*

Good luck to whomever purchases that vehicle! :thinking:

Sounds like my barber's son would have loved it. I was talking with my barber last weekend and we got to talking jeeps (He used to own one and I drove mine). He told me his son just bought a 15' JKU Rubi got it for $34K out the door with the features he wanted. Sounded about right for what he got. Then he told me he took it back to the dealer and had them put the Mopar lift, wheels, tires (35's), and a few other things and it cost him $7K. I kept my mouth shut, as my mom always told me if I couldn't say something nice not to say anything at all..;). Then he also tells me that it'll probably never see dirt and it was mostly for looks. I'm thinking to myself that if its merely for looks he could have gotten a budget boost, done it in a weekend, and for probably a 3rd of what he paid the dealer. But to each his own and as long as he can afford it and is happy that's all that matters, its his and he is free to do as he pleases..:D.

P.S.- Why can't all people who ask for advice on here take it the way the OP did? Not getting defensive and being happy for the input. Thats how it should be.

Top Bottom