Driving/off road light

silverbackjk

I run the aux HID's that many companies are rebranding. I bought mine from a local Kragen store, they run anywhere from $104-140ea for the 4inch and like $10 more for the 7inch models. I picked mine almost 5 years ago for $104ea before they were getting rebranded left and right which helped drive up demand and subsequently cost.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...ap?ck=Search_N0394_-1_3975&pt=N0394&ppt=C0335

I have the Trucklite's and while they are good for normal head light replacement, they aren't replacements for good, powerful Aux lighting if you plan on doing night time wheeling. That's just my opinion and I've done plenty of night time wheeling.

I have mine aimed wide and almost horizontal so that I get a decent throw and they have a wide enough beam that it helps fill straight ahead and distance. I've toyed with adding two more on the A pillars with a very wide spread, but as of yet haven't

Here's a recent pic in a blizzard with them on and the Trucklites. I wish I had a pic with just the Trucklites...again good light for regular headlight replacement..

View attachment 17122

This is a great option at my local store they are $130 great deal:thumb: I have some thinking to do:yup:

silverbackjk

They look like all hid projectors though. Just in a round housing makes it look different.
Price varies depending on what u get. DIY kit is like two something. Complete kit ready to install is 520. 570 as shown painted black. More pics

View attachment 17123 View attachment 17124

Yea i think i'll just get a set of bright driving lights and figure out headlight in the future. I have other mods on my list before them. But cool option.

rtguy1

I have a set of regular rigid duallys in my psc bumper. Lots of light for offroad but no good for n road. I need new headlights...lol

MTG

Caught the Bug
I have the Trucklite's and while they are good for normal head light replacement, they aren't replacements for good, powerful Aux lighting if you plan on doing night time wheeling. That's just my opinion and I've done plenty of night time wheeling.

I have mine aimed wide and almost horizontal so that I get a decent throw and they have a wide enough beam that it helps fill straight ahead and distance. I've toyed with adding two more on the A pillars with a very wide spread, but as of yet haven't

Why do you need a wide spread when night wheeling? :thinking: Most of the stuff I've done (mainly in Vegas) is slow crawling, often in canyons, and you are better off with just your rock lights on anyway. The driving lights are great when running through the desert on the way to and from the trail, but unless you are in the front (or wheeling alone), they are virtually useless and something that get used very little. IMHO

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I fall into the wide on the outside and long throw (spot or driving) on the inside camp. At even moderate speeds on wooded roads, lighting everything up on 45 degree angles helps on turns and also helps you spot forest creatures that go bump in the night.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I tend to think driving are a bit better than spots on the bumper. True long throw spots should be up high IMHO. I had Lightforce 170's on my A-Pillars and loved them. You can focus them like a maglite and buy different diffusing lenses. I know I'm a bit old school, but I prefer them to LED's.

silverbackjk

I tend to think driving are a bit better than spots on the bumper. True long throw spots should be up high IMHO. I had Lightforce 170's on my A-Pillars and loved them. You can focus them like a maglite and buy different diffusing lenses. I know I'm a bit old school, but I prefer them to LED's.

Does lightforce make driving lights?

LoPo

Caught the Bug
Why do you need a wide spread when night wheeling? :thinking: Most of the stuff I've done (mainly in Vegas) is slow crawling, often in canyons, and you are better off with just your rock lights on anyway. The driving lights are great when running through the desert on the way to and from the trail, but unless you are in the front (or wheeling alone), they are virtually useless and something that get used very little. IMHO

Sharkey captures it pretty well. Along with wooded much of the desert area I've been includes taller shrubbery. Plus, you want visibility out to the side, even at slow speeds when looking for turns or other obstacles.

I fall into the wide on the outside and long throw (spot or driving) on the inside camp. At even moderate speeds on wooded roads, lighting everything up on 45 degree angles helps on turns and also helps you spot forest creatures that go bump in the night.

silverbackjk

Sharkey captures it pretty well. Along with wooded much of the desert area I've been includes taller shrubbery. Plus, you want visibility out to the side, even at slow speeds when looking for turns or other obstacles.

Yes this is what I was looking for. Just was not sure how to describe it till I saw the picture sharkey posted haha

Top Bottom