Drone pilot recommendations for Christmas.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
This is more to help catch the ones that are dumb with them, flying near a wildfire, military airspace or into power lines and cause outages.

but you can fly a RC plane/helicopter without "registration" and do the same shit. Buy it if you belive the B.S. reason. but $5 each, times a few hundred thousand drones... i'm sure its to protect the USER... yep... thats it... just saying... :thumb::crazyeyes:

Skid_Kid

but you can fly a RC plane/helicopter without "registration" and do the same shit. Buy it if you belive the B.S. reason. but $5 each, times a few hundred thousand drones... i'm sure its to protect the USER... yep... thats it... just saying... :thumb::crazyeyes:

Free for the first month.....

JeepJeep75

My understanding is its any model aircraft over 8 ounces and under 50 pounds. I believe that the registration fee also goes to a fund that covers you, should your model crash into something causing damage. I could be mistaken, but that's how it was before this new law that requires you to register. Looks like it'll be a head-hunt next time there is an "incident".

JKCRWLR

The $5 is not to help the drone pilot in any way. It will not cover you In wreck, it will not help you in court, it will not be a fund to create safe flying areas, etc.
It is all just another way for the government to get into our pockets.

Here is why I say that.

1. They do not require the serial number for your aircraft.

2. They do not require your phone number or email address.

3. The information will not be shareable by the Freedom of Information Act since there are minors involved.

This is the FAA's way of looking like they're doing something about all the idiots that don't realize that you should not fly in the path of an airliner. It is also a way for them to help find themselves in the name of safety.
To correct DWiggles, it is millions of drones and not a few hundred thousand. They speculate over a million will be sold just during the holiday season.

But as long as you have people flying where they shouldn't and then even posting it online for the news and everyone else to see, we only have our selves to thank for letting the FAA take our money.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
The $5 is not to help the drone pilot in any way. It will not cover you In wreck, it will not help you in court, it will not be a fund to create safe flying areas, etc.
It is all just another way for the government to get into our pockets.

Here is why I say that.

1. They do not require the serial number for your aircraft.

2. They do not require your phone number or email address.

3. The information will not be shareable by the Freedom of Information Act since there are minors involved.

This is the FAA's way of looking like they're doing something about all the idiots that don't realize that you should not fly in the path of an airliner. It is also a way for them to help find themselves in the name of safety.
To correct DWiggles, it is millions of drones and not a few hundred thousand. They speculate over a million will be sold just during the holiday season.

But as long as you have people flying where they shouldn't and then even posting it online for the news and everyone else to see, we only have our selves to thank for letting the FAA take our money.

They require the opposite. When you register, you will be issued a number. You must put THAT number on all your drones....this way, if you crash it on say, the white house lawn, they can trace it back to you.

JKCRWLR

They require the opposite. When you register, you will be issued a number. You must put THAT number on all your drones....this way, if you crash it on say, the white house lawn, they can trace it back to you.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm going to do is put the number on my drones. Good luck in getting anyone to do that.
What is the penalty for not submitting to this?
Who will enforce?

Sorry, I know I'm on a rant here but as you can tell this really chaps my hide.

Stepping off the soapbox now.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Yeah, that's exactly what I'm going to do is put the number on my drones. Good luck in getting anyone to do that.
What is the penalty for not submitting to this?
Who will enforce?

Sorry, I know I'm on a rant here but as you can tell this really chaps my hide.

Stepping off the soapbox now.

The penalty is stiff as hell, like a $27k fine. Not only that, but you must also keep your FAA drone "license" on you at all times. As for who will enforce it, that depends. If the FAA authorizes local police to enforce it (and gives them a cut), they will start carding anyone they see with a drone controller, and god help you if you accidentally crash your drone into your neighbor's backyard.

JKCRWLR

The penalty is stiff as hell, like a $27k fine. Not only that, but you must also keep your FAA drone "license" on you at all times. As for who will enforce it, that depends. If the FAA authorizes local police to enforce it (and gives them a cut), they will start carding anyone they see with a drone controller, and god help you if you accidentally crash your drone into your neighbor's backyard.

Well everything you said is absolutely correct. Definitely a shame. I've been flying r/c and autonomous aircraft for many, many years now and will definitely rethinking flying drones any longer. Though it looks like they will do away with fixed wing pleasure down the road.

Fly below 400 feet and remain clear of surrounding obstacles
Keep the aircraft within visual line of sight at all times
Remain well clear of and do not interfere with manned aircraft operations
Don't fly within 5 miles of an airport unless you contact the airport and control tower before flying
Don't fly near people or stadiums
Don't fly an aircraft that weighs more than 55 lbs
Don't be careless or reckless with your unmanned aircraft – you could be fined for endangering people or other aircraft

The above rules are for all other aircraft. Which rules out everywhere in the Las Vegas valley.

Sorry to takeover your thread Jaydoc1, but I think you can see the writing on the wall. Stick with the indoor small drones.

Top Bottom