Drones, drones, and more drones!

jorgelrod

Hooked
I bought a Yuneec Q500 4K and it's been awesome, as to the no fly zones, it's on the controller, and won't even start within 5 miles of a Major airport, it will start fine next to regional airports...

IMG_1479041623.079758.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
Thinking of getting our 11yo son an entry level drone for Christmas. I know the more expensive ones tend to be better. I don't want to get something that is just coming to turn into an expensive pile of broken parts. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Bumping this thread,

Johnny Fly has arrived!

18891843_10213469703799897_2239744746071452667_o.jpg

Planning a trip out to wyoming in August, can't wait to share the footage with you guys, and this will eliminate the "survivorman" method of filming, where you have to do everything twice (get out, set up camera, drive back a mile then drive past the camera like you had a crew there.). Now I can just fly the drone ahead, and get the shot, and even have it follow me afterwards. Got a smoking deal on amazon for $1379 for a huge bundle of stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LY287P9/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now just learning, practicing, perfecting the settings, etc.

Frydaddy

Anyone starting out, i strongly recommend getting a cheap FPV first. That way you learn how to fly it, learn how to control it from the screen, and the crashes are cheap.

I started with a Proto X FPV. That think was TOUGH to keep in the air, it was manual everything. I got to borrow my bosses Phantom Pro 3 recently, and i learned two things. Wow, these automatic systems are awesome, and I am sure glad I practiced on something cheap first.

In education, many people teach the hard method first, this teaches core value so the finesse can be learned later. With my little Proto X FPV, I learned controls and how to adjust for wind and compensate for camera angles, as well as how to fly it from the screen. When I took up the Phantom, controls were second nature, and all the learning was with getting a good shot.

Proto X FPV First Flight - this required tons work with stabilization software and tweaking it to look even this good.

Phantom Pro 3 first try - just some windows movie maker and thats it.
(Crosspost from "Where did your jeep take you this week?)

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Did a minor test flight today with some calibration (calibration was done AFTER I shot this video, mostly on video log, color settings, and gimbal sensitivity), but it was surprisingly easy to control.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Did a minor test flight today with some calibration (calibration was done AFTER I shot this video, mostly on video log, color settings, and gimbal sensitivity), but it was surprisingly easy to control.

Very cool! Seemed very stable as well. I gotta get me one of dem! I could have used it when I went to Creede and Lake City a few weeks ago.

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

GraniteCrystal

Planning a trip out to wyoming in August, can't wait to share the footage with you guys, and this will eliminate the "survivorman" method of filming, where you have to do everything twice (get out, set up camera, drive back a mile then drive past the camera like you had a crew there.).

Definitely done that. How do you do this solo? Get the drone in position, set the controls down so it hovers, then drive on by?

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Definitely done that. How do you do this solo? Get the drone in position, set the controls down so it hovers, then drive on by?

I will be with the wife, so she can drive so I can do some more cinematic stuff, but if I was alone, I'd set it in tripod mode (the mavic hovers exceptionally well) and drive right past it, then just fly it to catch up to me and land it on my roof. :)

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
My nephew has a DJI, and that has a tether mode where it links to your phone and it will actually fly a set ditance from you and point at your phone the whole time.

Sent from my XT1565 using WAYALIFE mobile app

The amount of things these drones can do is mindboggling. It wasn't long ago the military can dream of something like this. The tether mode, point of interest orbit, follow me, etc are all simply amazing. Now they just added fixed wing mode!

Wethy

I have a q500 4K and it flys well and has a follow me mode which it will stay by the controller a set distance. It is nice. But i will admit its a bit cumbersome to cart around all the time. Especially with a soft top ha ha. If it wasnt a gift or i had the choice od have gone with the mavic pro for its size difference. But i will say it is an impressive machine. I find if your starting out though the yuneecs are the best value because you get a nice controller and the q500 4k come with a handle mount that you can connect your camera from the drone to and its a nice handheld stabilizer too.

Here is a short video (nothing fancy) shot on the follow me mode. Works well for what i use it for.

https://youtu.be/tMG8IS7qacA

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom