Dual Battery Tray

Was wondering. I see the PSC res is back by the battery. I believe that is the same for the 08'. Was thinking of getting A high flow setup as I believe I have a bad pulley seal.

Now that you mention it I think I had to drill one hole for the res to fit there, which is pretty much in the same place as it was with the OEM battery tray.

Stegertime

Caught the Bug
View attachment 143328 View attachment 143329 The Genesis tray is by far the cleanest I've seen and it's worth the money. There wasn't any trimming needed to accommodate my front coilovers either. As far as batteries, odysseys are far better than the Optimas but if you want to save a few bucks, the Sears Diehard Platinum is the same as an Odyssey.

Looks really good! At what point is dual battery needed? I only have a pair of A pillar lights and a CB running now, but am adding a winch now. Do I need dual battery yet?

Stegertime

Caught the Bug
Sorry, meant to quote CanvasJK

Ah ok, I thought it was a vague reply :) , but I do understand the idea of redundancy in electrical engineering. I thought you were basically saying it's worth getting dual battery to increase the reliability of the overall electrical system.

If you do have a more detailed reply to the original question of "when is a dual setup necessary" I'm eager to learn more. 😄👍🏻

Thank so much for the knowledge 🍻

Ah ok, I thought it was a vague reply :) , but I do understand the idea of redundancy in electrical engineering. I thought you were basically saying it's worth getting dual battery to increase the reliability of the overall electrical system.

If you do have a more detailed reply to the original question of "when is a dual setup necessary" I'm eager to learn more. 😄👍🏻

Thank so much for the knowledge 🍻

Ok, here's what I just told Will in a text. "You and I both have a manual trans. That's a problem in a long pull. We can't just put it in park and idle. We have to be in gear with the engine off or we'll drag ourselves to the problem. Anchoring off doesn't always work either. I dragged Mumbo AND my dads tractor the other day."
I was pulling down a dead oak tree. I'm not saying it's absolutely necessary to have a second battery but it does come in handy when you drain the primary one.

Stegertime

Caught the Bug
Ok, here's what I just told Will in a text. "You and I both have a manual trans. That's a problem in a long pull. We can't just put it in park and idle. We have to be in gear with the engine off or we'll drag ourselves to the problem. Anchoring off doesn't always work either. I dragged Mumbo AND my dads tractor the other day."
I was pulling down a dead oak tree. I'm not saying it's absolutely necessary to have a second battery but it does come in handy when you drain the primary one.

Got it, makes perfect sense. Thanks so much!

mastrcruse

Although it doesn't help now, today at truck fest Dallas I talked with the painless wiring rep. He said they are currently testing a full JK setup. It'll be a mounting bracket and all wires/solenoids setting the batteries in series all together in one nice package. He said, if all tests correctly, it'll be out by end of year. He explained that it'll be ready to drop in, put 2 batteries in and go. I believe they do a similar setup for the CJs already.

utiadam

LOSER
View attachment 143328 View attachment 143329 The Genesis tray is by far the cleanest I've seen and it's worth the money. There wasn't any trimming needed to accommodate my front coilovers either. As far as batteries, odysseys are far better than the Optimas but if you want to save a few bucks, the Sears Diehard Platinum is the same as an Odyssey.

I have the same kit and batteries but made my own wiring. The installation was surprisingly easy and just like mentioned before the bolt on coilovers went right into place. I don't have the G screen either but have been curious about it. It takes quite a while for both batteries to drain down to the point that the isolator separates them.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431869614.862066.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431869687.531983.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431869713.593112.jpg

mastrcruse

Sorry, doesn't matter what brand it is, it's not going to be anything close to plug and play.

Ya, don't doubt it. After researching some of the current options it's quite a process to get it all mounted and I doubt that would change. Below is there current CJ version. Just thought it was cool they had everything together and potentially releasing for the JK.

**looks like the genesis might be the same thing...all in one kit.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Slappy32

I have the Genesis tray as well and run Odyssey batteries. It was a pretty straightforward 2-3 hour install. You will have to cut the stock battery tray and re-use the air cleaner bracket part of it. I used a Makita Multi-tool to cut it and it did a perfect job.

IMG_1950.jpg

USMCvet

Banned

You know, I couldn't find the Diehards and had to go with the Odyssey batteries. I do like the Genesis.

David1tontj

You must be trying to stand outside your jeep while winching? I leave mine running, but sit inside with my foot on the brake most of the time- if I have a pull where I need to be outside monitoring things, I shut the engine off and leave it in gear. I haven't killed the battery yet. (Knock on wood) but I also haven't tried any crazy long pulls with the motor off.

-this issue is exactly why I am looking into getting line locks on my brakes- so I can leave the rig running in neutral and it's like I am inside standing on the brakes.

USMCvet

Banned
They sell them at Sears, and they're even cheaper if you order site to store from their website.

Drawback of living in BF Egypt. I did go through Sears website but couldn't figure out which of the Deep cycle version to buy. It's a moot point now.

Wardell

I've been looking into the Genesis Offroad setup too. I'd want theirs with the G Screen, but after shipping, exchange and customs it will end up being well over $1000 for me to get it. I think that's a bit out of my budget for a second battery.

I've also been looking at National Luna. They sell the battery isolators, monitors and a DIY kit, and you would just need someone else's dual battery mount to hold the batteries. There's a bit more work involved, but it could be another option.

Top Bottom