Dumb question

CanadianJK

Hearing some hate for the feature, thought of offer my 0.02 on the subject:

In the winter there are times when starting in 2nd is better than 1st. I prefer the auto shifter to the old PRND21 dealio.

Also mountain driving, why burn brakes up what you can just down shift and let the gearing maintain your pace?

I think that was 0.04.

Let me know what you think

Edit: just thought, ever have a brake failure in an auto? I'll keep the feature!

Last edited:

Clem319

Hearing some hate for the feature, thought of offer my 0.02 on the subject:

In the winter there are times when starting in 2nd is better than 1st. I prefer the auto shifter to the old PRND21 dealio.

Also mountain driving, why burn brakes up what you can just down shift and let the gearing maintain your pace?

I think that was 0.04.

Let me know what you think

Edit: just thought, ever have a brake failure in an auto? I'll keep the feature!

I did have a brake failure after about a 3 hour trail ride and then hit the pavement down a 13% grade. I had to e brake to stop.. I let the brakes rest and then put in automatic 1st gear and rose that bitch to the bottom. I hit 60-65 rpms and it never "auto shifted" out of gear.

hogtyed

I haven't had the pleasure to drive an auto jeep but I'm sure they have to be better in the rocks. Hopefully with the new gears I won't stall as much

Damn I thought I was the only one who stalled on rocks, hills, & backing up.:evil snicker:

Ranger4011

It will not go above whatever gear you select, and will shift like normal up to whatever gear you select.

I do find that it will shift down on its own though!! Once again the CPU thinks it knows better

Sent from this little chumjigger here in my hand.

xkid

It will keep your transmission in 1st gear or whatever other gear you want. I've found it extremely helpful and it took me about 4 hours into my first trail with the new jeep to remember the feature. Also was extremely helpful down a steep grade when my brakes were already overheating.

Thanks. I'm going to try it next time.

liljohn850

I've been stalling Jeeps since 88 :rock:

Can we make old people jokes here?!? Please?!?

As for the decent control, I've used it going down some gnarly shit here in Hawaii. It lets you not use the brake. But I struggle trusting it. It keeps your moving but at a very slow pace

GMAN5

Cheating. And on the rocks, they are superior to a manual and this is coming from a guy who loves manuals.
I'm in the same boat. I thought manual was the ONLY way to go in a Jeep for 20 years. Well, I now have a manual. I plan on working my way up to the rocks.

OF4WD #8232

CanadianJK

Anybody ever use that button for steep down hills?

You have to be in 4lo and 1 for the hill decent control to work. At least that's the only time it's ever worked for me

I have used it quite frequently. Mostly just because I can, but occasionally because it allows me to focus on steering and not locking up and losing balance.

It will work in 4Lo and AUTO for sure. IF you noticed it only worked in 1 then maybe that's a manual issue? Or else if you choose to select a gear in your auto it won't function until you're a) in first b) back in auto.

All in all I think once a good understanding is reached with all these features they are very useful and invaluable in some scenarios. Once again, my 0.04 :beer:

SaddleTramp

Anybody ever use that button for steep down hills?

Haha, didn't even know I had that feature until you posted that, just went out and saw the button.

Is there a way to use the bump shift option when in 4lo? I'd like to be able to shift up when on longer runs vs. waiting for it to rev up and do it automatically but when I've tried it didn't do anything so figured it (tap shift) was disabled when in 4lo??

Of course I could go dig out the owners manual and probably find out too, ;)

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I have used it quite frequently. Mostly just because I can, but occasionally because it allows me to focus on steering and not locking up and losing balance.

It will work in 4Lo and AUTO for sure. IF you noticed it only worked in 1 then maybe that's a manual issue? Or else if you choose to select a gear in your auto it won't function until you're a) in first b) back in auto.

All in all I think once a good understanding is reached with all these features they are very useful and invaluable in some scenarios. Once again, my 0.04 :beer:

Oh I know it will work on an auto that's what I was talking about lol I have an auto. I ment dropping it all the way down to 1. I have a 2011 so I don't have the fancy bump shift lol

Top Bottom