Dusty conditions - air filters

aro

Sorry if this was answered before, couldn't find any info...

I drove for hours behind other Jeeps in clouds of dust in the desert/mountains. (SoCal people must know exactly what I mean.) At what point should I change the A/C filter and engine air cleaner filter? I know what the manual says, but that's under normal conditions.

crowrb29

After a big trip like that it would be good to check it/replace it. The intake anyhow....

Last edited:

LeighP

If you've been running the interior fan (on fresh setting) while in dusty conditions, it may be worth pulling the filters out and having a look....maybe knock some dust out of them. If you weren't running the fan, then they shouldn't be too dusty at all.

As for the engine airfilter....pull it and have a look...only way to know for sure. Find a flat surface and knock the filter's dusty side against it to remove a lot of dust....you can back blow the filter with compressed air, but don't do this too often as it eventually degrades the filter material (so I'm reliably informed). You could use an AEM dry element air filter and simply wash it when dirty.......I swap in a clean factory element while I'm washing/drying the AEM filter element.

aro

Thanks, I'll check them both. I did run the A/C every time, set on recirculating (so that I don't get the dust inside).

jeeeep

Hooked
I carry a clean filter with me when wheeling in case it's dusty. I put the clean one in to drive home with then clean the other one and put it back in (that way I've always got a fairly clean filter on hand) I also use a pre-filter if I know it's going to be dusty conditions.

jeeeep

Hooked
What kind of pre-filter? Never used one.

I have an AFE CAI and can use a pre-filter with it. It's just a mesh weave that covers the air filter, IMO it helps in making the filter easier to clean each night during multi-day off road trips.

I tend to be OCD about knocking as much dirt as I can off the filter after wheeling in dusty conditions instead of letting it build up.

Top Bottom