Easy mod to allow larger battery mounting!

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
Majik,

That's the reason why I went with the marine 34M. I hooked my winch up to the "auxiliary" terminals.

-Matt

-Matt

Majik

Majik,

That's the reason why I went with the marine 34M. I hooked my winch up to the "auxiliary" terminals.

-Matt

-Matt

Well now that I've confirmed (from the posts presented above) that they also carry a marine group 31M, it's like having an extra half of a 34M in there, too! (135min vs 205min reserve and 1150 CCA vs 850) Thanks again for the find!

jeff_in_rc

Majik,

-Matt

-Matt

If the "auxiliary" terminals are anything like the side posts on a dual connection battery don't put your winch there, you could actually burn up the battery's internal connection as those connections are not designed for such a high current long duration load like when using your winch. I have read many posts on other forums stating that fact and they all got their facts from the batterys makers. Optima is one that states this fact when using a winch that comes to mind.

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
Jeff,

Thank you for the heads-up. Right now I only have the negative cable tied into the smaller negative (black) post. I have the positive cable attached to main positive terminal. Do you think that will be an issue.

Thanks.

-Matt

Majik

I actually think that the side posts on a side/top post battery are different. I believe that the dual top posts / aux posts on the Odyssey / DH Plat battery are one piece with the SAE posts, so the amp rating shouldn't differ. I have a call into Enersys (that makes the batteries) to verify this.

Those side posts on a typical dual post battery, IIRC, usually have a metal piece that wraps over the side to meet the terminal. The cover the whole thing with a plastic cover. It's been a while, though, since I saw a broken battery to verify this :)

I'll check on this.

jeff_in_rc

Jeff,

Thank you for the heads-up. Right now I only have the negative cable tied into the smaller negative (black) post. I have the positive cable attached to main positive terminal. Do you think that will be an issue.

Thanks.

-Matt

I think it could be a problem, my suggestion is to put the winch cables on the SAE posts.

I actually think that the side posts on a side/top post battery are different. I believe that the dual top posts / aux posts on the Odyssey / DH Plat battery are one piece with the SAE posts, so the amp rating shouldn't differ. I have a call into Enersys (that makes the batteries) to verify this.

Those side posts on a typical dual post battery, IIRC, usually have a metal piece that wraps over the side to meet the terminal. The cover the whole thing with a plastic cover. It's been a while, though, since I saw a broken battery to verify this :)

I'll check on this.

I remember reading that the side posts can handle the high current load of a starter that of course you don't use for very long but they will melt the internal strap if you try using your winch. Just try to help, not a PITA. :)

Majik

I think it could be a problem, my suggestion is to put the winch cables on the SAE posts.

I remember reading that the side posts can handle the high current load of a starter that of course you don't use for very long but they will melt the internal strap if you try using your winch. Just try to help, not a PITA. :)

You may be right because of that relatively thin metal strap that wraps over the side to the side posts. I was just trying to say that I don't think the aux posts on the batteries I'm using for this project are built like a battery with true side posts. I believe the SAE lugs and the screw on terminals on the Enersys batteries are cast together in one solid metal chunk, thus shouldn't have the limitations that the 'strap' on a top/side post battery would. I will check on this, though :)

And you're NOT a PITA! This is a fun discussion and a potentially useful, cheap mod, IMO! :)

jeff_in_rc

You may be right because of that relatively thin metal strap that wraps over the side to the side posts. I was just trying to say that I don't think the aux posts on the batteries I'm using for this project are built like a battery with true side posts. I believe the SAE lugs and the screw on terminals on the Enersys batteries are cast together in one solid metal chunk, thus shouldn't have the limitations that the 'strap' on a top/side post battery would. I will check on this, though :)

And you're NOT a PITA! This is a fun discussion and a potentially useful, cheap mod, IMO! :)

Well if the new batteries SAE and AUX posts are basically the same then your good to go. Let us know what you find please. I like it when we all can pass along info we have learned and people don't get all pissy, know what I mean!

Have a great day and weekend, mine starts in 27 minutes and lasts for 4 days!! Woo hoo come on 5pm!

Majik

Well if the new batteries SAE and AUX posts are basically the same then your good to go. Let us know what you find please. I like it when we all can pass along info we have learned and people don't get all pissy, know what I mean!

Have a great day and weekend, mine starts in 27 minutes and lasts for 4 days!! Woo hoo come on 5pm!

Will post the minute I find out. I will prob install my battery and finish the details for my 'Group 31 batt size mod' last tonight after I get off work, so keep an eye out for posts. It just makes me smile having the reassurance of such a large and durable battery given our uses...

Top Bottom