Evils' New Idea (A Slow Motion Build Thread)

Ldogg

Aev makes a fairlead plate but it would still be infront of it. I zip tied mine to the crash bar and it can move backwards a little to get out the way or can be cut on the trail if needed. I don't have an aev bumper.

Evilidea

Aev makes a fairlead plate but it would still be infront of it. I zip tied mine to the crash bar and it can move backwards a little to get out the way or can be cut on the trail if needed. I don't have an aev bumper.

For the time being front plate is goin to stay off until a cop says otherwise.

Evilidea

So, I been quiet lately but this needs said. Dropped my wife at SLC airport for business trip, decided what the hell I'm down here and dealership does free oil change. Got it back and 1 hood wrangler was not latched, oh well whatever secured it and home I went, about 250mi. Back to slc 5 days later to pick her up all seems fine and back to Wyoming. Next day back to SLC for a bday party for my 10yr old, half way there CE comes on, OK pull over look it over and oil is about 3 qt low no leaks and plastic cover is just tossed on top of motor backwards, ./sigh. Call up dealer after filling oil, drop wife and kids at her party and head over there rather angry but no dmg as of yet all good. CE is P306 cylinder head. Yes it will be replaced but prior to there horrible idea of an oil change no issues. Just aggrivates me especially since I insured that the 2012 MW3 ed JKU had the AC/AD heads. Anyway rage over just felt like giving this thread a bump up. Jeeps goin in Black Friday to be fixed. Lol also was told 3yr waiting list atm to fix the N28 recall for the TOC tube (really).

Evilidea

Got her back today, drove to SLC in a crappy rental Nissan Pathfinder in 6"+ of snow, Parleys was not fun. Got my Jeep hit up Cheesecake Factory and back over Parleys to Wy. Was such a better drive in the Jeep. What should have been 4-5 hr round trip was almost 9hrs of blizzard driving on I80. Even so, I am very happy to have her back and I can feel that she is running better than before. 15k miles and I got the cylinder head issue out of the way, lets see what is next huh :).

Kenny-g

Caught the Bug
Glad to hear they fixed it since it was them who screwed up. My Jeep dealership is neighbors to a Honda dealership so they share the same services facility...I hate having a Honda Techie doing the oil change on my rig. I have to get my soft top replaced because my zipper teeth came un-stitched from the body of the left side rear window. The window itself is fine but the zipper teeth are fawked. Will hopefulyl be here Friday so it can get installed before I have to leave for training in MS.

BlackKnight

can't remember where I've seen it, but you could use the two bolts on the sides of the fairlead and mount the plate off an adaptor two those plates..

I'm picturing something like below, and you could make it yourself with just some sheet metal and clippers.. if you tilt it back on a slight angle, it will protect the top of the winch and allow the air to slipstream to the radiator on the roads for better cooling/less turbulance.

PlateAdaptor.jpg

Kenny-g

Caught the Bug
can't remember where I've seen it, but you could use the two bolts on the sides of the fairlead and mount the plate off an adaptor two those plates..

I'm picturing something like below, and you could make it yourself with just some sheet metal and clippers.. if you tilt it back on a slight angle, it will protect the top of the winch and allow the air to slipstream to the radiator on the roads for better cooling/less turbulance.

View attachment 58780

I like this idea!

BlackKnight

I like this idea!

Thanks,

In my state we also have a two place restriction, though visability of the front plate can be restricted and is not fully mandatory. so for me it can be on a steep angle (45%) swept back, as long as it's there...

bob

Evilidea

So far in my small ass town all the cops just like my jeep so much they haven't bothered me about the plate so I let it sit in the back under the seat for now, til they bitch then yes something like what you said would be a great idea.

pvanweelden

here's what i did with my plate-
loosen the fairlead bolts, slip the plate between bumper and fairlead, tighten up bolts.
Then zip tie top plate holes to top of winch (as a just in case)
IMG776.jpg

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
I've not researched them, but I've seen rigs that used a slip on clamp to attach the license plate to the fairlead rollers. They'd just pop the license plate off when hitting the trail.

edit: I guess I should have looked at the pics first, then I would have seen you don't have rollers :p

I think this is what you were referring to, and yeah, looks like you've got to have rollers.

Tuffy Flip-Up License Plate Holder

Evilidea

Not really a build thing but...
I just got all new straps, snatch block, and other recovery gear, due to the fact that I left all of my recovery gear in my old ZJ when it moved to Montana with a friend lol.
Also grabbed some better grab handles and Daystar hood wranglers and a Hi-lift. Some quadratec floor mats and the slowest ever build thread as moved a cm or so.

Next should be armoring up a bit I think.

Top Bottom