Evo Bolt on Coil over Kit

benatc1

Hooked
looking to go with this kit, hopefully within the next 6 months if all goes well. what kind of noise are we talking? Creek or squeak? or something different?

Squueky, creeky, springs going kadonkin. Its not that bad.

I guess as long as it's not that bad, then it's not a huge deal- unless it's drives one crazy..

Mine are loud enough I need to take it to EVO so they can check out the rear coil overs. My front ones make a little creak or two but the back is driving me crazy.

The AGM sliders will probably fix the noise with the rear coil overs but I just can't believe King would find this acceptable and I just dropped $5k on this and shouldn't have to spend more.

Sent from my SM-G935V using WAYALIFE mobile app

you'd think that'd be the case but I've always heard coilovers make some noise, sucks your rear ones are so loud

Totally normal on anything with a dual or triple spring set up.

why is that? I honestly don't know a whole lot about coil overs/dual/triple spring set ups

Sent from my SM-G928V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Evil

Wonder why the back is so noisey? Front isn't bad. Looks like I will have to go with the AGM sliders then.

Its hard to say without being the one that set them up. I posted a search link someplace that had a damn good set up guide on coil overs, your going to need to search for it though. Google Crawlpedia. Now, where you start to where you finish might be completely different but everyone's terrain and Jeep and equipment are different. The rears are generally nosier then the front because of the weight on the fronts. My fronts pop sometimes when crawling and in the dirt and when I'm turning hard in a parking lot on flat ground. If the noise bugs you that bad, just replace the rear sliders and see if your OK with it before you go dumping 400 bucks into new sliders. Also ask for a recommendation on where to set your stop rings if you haven't already set them.

Yep. It's the nature of coilovers. Undoubtedly, they're going to make noise. You might also want to adjust your preload...talk to evo, they'll help you out.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

This right here. If you have a chance to talk to Mel, he can get you to a good starting point.

These fuckers right here sounded like a old man on speed, rocking on the porch, playing metal on a banjo smashing it through the front window but damn they worked great back in the day. :rock:
358c.jpg

HazMatJK

Well I haven't done any wheeling yet...maybe that will make it all better lol!

AGM sliders and turn up the stereo haha!

Too bad it sounds like this... _57_d46eacb2aa7d0d3d666d8427f5d9d2ac877dceb4.jpeg

jagrubb99

I guess as long as it's not that bad, then it's not a huge deal- unless it's drives one crazy..

you'd think that'd be the case but I've always heard coilovers make some noise, sucks your rear ones are so loud

why is that? I honestly don't know a whole lot about coil overs/dual/triple spring set ups

It is my understanding that the way the spring on a coilover work, you have an upper and lower spring on each shock body, isolated from each other by a slider. As the shock cycles through and the springs compress and rebound, the slider moves on the shock body to compensate for the change in spring length as the suspension cycles. The noise I believe comes from the slider moving against the small rings around the shock body, if the shock body were smooth, i would think the noise would be much less but from what I understand those rings are used to set preload. Sorry if none of this makes any sense as I am still learning about this stuff too lol.

Sent from my XT1031 using WAYALIFE mobile app

HazMatJK

[quote name="HazMatJK" post=807265]Wonder why the back is so noisey? Front isn't bad. Looks like I will have to go with the AGM sliders then.<br />
<br />
Sent from my SM-G935V using WAYALIFE mobile app[/QUOTE]<br />
<br />
Its hard to say without being the one that set them up. I posted a search link someplace that had a damn good set up guide on coil overs, your going to need to search for it though. Google Crawlpedia. Now, where you start to where you finish might be completely different but everyone's terrain and Jeep and equipment are different. The rears are generally nosier then the front because of the weight on the fronts. My fronts pop sometimes when crawling and in the dirt and when I'm turning hard in a parking lot on flat ground. If the noise bugs you that bad, just replace the rear sliders and see if your OK with it before you go dumping 400 bucks into new sliders. Also ask for a recommendation on where to set your stop rings if you haven't already set them. <br />
<br />
<br />
[quote name="Mike_JK_Houston_711" post=807268]Yep. It's the nature of coilovers. Undoubtedly, they're going to make noise. You might also want to adjust your preload...talk to evo, they'll help you out. <br />
<br />
<br />
Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app[/QUOTE]<br />
<br />
This right here. If you have a chance to talk to Mel, he can get you to a good starting point. <br />
<br />
These fuckers right here sounded like a old man on speed, rocking on the porch, playing metal on a banjo smashing it through the front window but damn they worked great back in the day. :rock:<br />
attachment.php

Hahaha perfect description!!!

Thanks for the advice, will try new sliders and lowering the pre-load. My rear is only at 1.5 inches so I can't go much lower.

benatc1

Hooked
It is my understanding that the way the spring on a coilover work, you have an upper and lower spring on each shock body, isolated from each other by a slider. As the shock cycles through and the springs compress and rebound, the slider moves on the shock body to compensate for the change in spring length as the suspension cycles. The noise I believe comes from the slider moving against the small rings around the shock body, if the shock body were smooth, i would think the noise would be much less but from what I understand those rings are used to set preload. Sorry if none of this makes any sense as I am still learning about this stuff too lol.

no thank you, very helpful, I appreciate the explanation!

Evil

I think with the Kings having threads on the entire shock body, it makes it nosier then most. I have been told that it looked like the slider was binding on the shock body from the guy behind me while going over some messed up terrain at a slow rate of speed. IMO this is what causes the clanging twaingie sound. almost like one spring went so far, then the other one kicked in. I tried to run out and get a video but that damn thing wouldn't make any noise. Figures :D If you look at the Sway-Aways I posted a pic of, the lower half of the shock body where the slider cycles is smooth, it still made noise.

Well I haven't done any wheeling yet...maybe that will make it all better lol!

AGM sliders and turn up the stereo haha!

Too bad it sounds like this... View attachment 233612

Id put coilovers on this and smash this bitch out too :thumb:

Ive done a bit of wheeling on this suspension and it still makes noise, rocks, dirt, in the mud, snow etc. I guess it just doesn't bother me because I've had coil overs on everything.

Your on the right track. The top rings set pre load and ride height. The inner rings AKA gas stops, spring stops, stop a coil and activate the second coil. So when the upper coil is stopped, the lower kicks in.

looking to go with this kit, hopefully within the next 6 months if all goes well. what kind of noise are we talking? Creek or squeak? or something different?

seemed pretty straight forward when you showed me your rig over the summer, can't be to hard with a bit of know how and some good directions.

You totally have this one Ben!!! Took me two days on the last one. Going to do my dads in a week or so.[emoji23][emoji23]

Wedging :cheesy: You know, when you lift the tub off the frame and slide the rear bracket in between. You can weld it all on if you wish. Motech had a red JKU all done up and all of the bolt on kit was welded in, thing was bad ass.

I wasn't saying you can't, I was just saying you don't have to. I wanted to make sure those reading this are informed. BTW, neither of my rigs with this set up have made much noise. I love the ride and ability to change my rig up as needed. Most of all the FLEX!!!

Evil

I wasn't saying you can't, I was just saying you don't have to. I wanted to make sure those reading this are informed. BTW, neither of my rigs with this set up have made much noise. I love the ride and ability to change my rig up as needed. Most of all the FLEX!!!

The beauty of it is you can, but you don't have to. The only thing I welded on mine and a few others I have installed was the track bar bracket to the axle. I don't want to be married to it because I see going to a DTD in a few years and I can unbolt this and run it on the beater Jeep. I agree with you 100% on the ride, flex and adjust-ability:thumb:

JoeB

Thanks!! And doesn't sound to bad I guess. Probably famous last words. LOL. So was it worth the effort? Does it give you a better ride on washboard roads or dips?

Sent from my LG-H918 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom