Evo coilovers for towing?

jivesis

What would the Evos be like for towing? I've got a Offroad camper and its tow bar weight is around 150kg. With my current synergy springs it sits quiet low in the rear and would need airbags. I want the coilovers to be soft for daily driving but what can I do when I tow? Could I crank them up a few inches when I tow?

With coils it's easy because the airbags would just sit inside the coil spring and just air them up when I tow.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
What would the Evos be like for towing? I've got a Offroad camper and its tow bar weight is around 150kg. With my current synergy springs it sits quiet low in the rear and would need airbags. I want the coilovers to be soft for daily driving but what can I do when I tow? Could I crank them up a few inches when I tow?

With coils it's easy because the airbags would just sit inside the coil spring and just air them up when I tow.

They don't crank up, but you could tighten the valve on them...but that's not really something you'd want to do on a regular basis. If you're going to consistently tow I'd recommend going with air bags and traditional coil/shock setup.

jivesis

They don't crank up, but you could tighten the valve on them...but that's not really something you'd want to do on a regular basis. If you're going to consistently tow I'd recommend going with air bags and traditional coil/shock setup.

How do u adjust lift height then..?

When putting the camper on I thought I might be able to raise the rear a few inches higher than the front so when the camper goes on it will come down and travel level....?

SFNick

How do u adjust lift height then..?

When putting the camper on I thought I might be able to raise the rear a few inches higher than the front so when the camper goes on it will come down and travel level....?

You can add more preload (height) to the coilover by moving the adjustment nut down but that would be a pain in the ass to do every time you tow something. I have heard of people just adding back in their coil springs, for extra support, when they are towing.

Lil Nasty

Have you run airbags before? It was a different setup, but on my last truck I had the Firestone bags for towing. You had to keep a minimum of 5lbs in them to keep from damaging them. If I remember the pressure correctly. Just that little bit of pressure added about 0.5" of lift in the rear and made the ride just a tick stiffer. I'm not trying to change your mind, just want you to be aware of everything beforehand.

utiadam

LOSER
Its not as simple as just tightening down the adjustments on the coilovers. Well, it is and it isnt.......You have to jack up the jeep so that there isnt a load on the coilovers before adjusting them and you will need to do it several times to get both sides even. Your best bet with the coilovers is to buy higher rate springs and just leave them installed.

jivesis

I only tow the camper once every few months.I don't won't to have a stiffer setup and compromise dd. I spose the only way to see is run the coilovers and find out how mush the sag with the camper on..

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
You could run a softer main spring and stiffer secondary spring then when u tow lower the adjuster collar that engages the secondary spring. You don't need to jack the jeep up to adjust those. Could be a good compromise. I lower my secondary collars to basically eliminate my primary when I tow as I also don't tow often either.

If you run 250 over 250 springs you have an effective 125 lb spring until you hit the collar then it goes to 250. You could maybe run 150 over 300 to get close to same effective rate normally. Close not same. Then crank the collars down when towing and you'd be running a 300 rate.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Give Andrew a call at EVO MFG. He can tell you what rates will work best for towing (he designed the kit).

Ddays

Hooked
Thread revival alert!

Anyone else happen to try towing a larger trailer while running coilovers since this thread started a couple years ago? Doing some long range planning. We are currently looking at trailers now so more than likely that's gonna happen. Just curious if towing the trailer (3000# or so) is going to put the damper on the possibility of coilovers on down the road.

Ajkaz

Anyone have any experience with this? I am in a similar situation, looking at EVO bolt ons in the rear, but want to ensure I can still tow my 1400# pop up every so often. Currently with MC 3.5" springs it tows great with only about 1.5" of squat.

dillard09

Anyone have any experience with this? I am in a similar situation, looking at EVO bolt ons in the rear, but want to ensure I can still tow my 1400# pop up every so often. Currently with MC 3.5" springs it tows great with only about 1.5" of squat.

What about getting a weight distribution hitch? I have one for my Raptor when I tow my 29' bumper pull. Even with the soft leafs on the truck the hitch keeps it pretty level.
I couldn't find a recent pic of it but here is my old truck hooked up to it with the weight distribution hitch. Its sits pretty level and still ride pretty smooth.

Attachments

• 20140509_150830.jpg
    20140509_150830.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 65

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
What about getting a weight distribution hitch? I have one for my Raptor when I tow my 29' bumper pull. Even with the soft leafs on the truck the hitch keeps it pretty level.
I couldn't find a recent pic of it but here is my old truck hooked up to it with the weight distribution hitch. Its sits pretty level and still ride pretty smooth.

That^^^^. Properly set up, you can take the squat away with the hitch.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom