EVO D Ring mount - Frame weld cut OK?

wwood

Just got EVO Plush Ride springs and D Ring rear mounts.
Test fit the D Ring mounts and they are recessed quite a bit in the rear frame rails. I would like to cut the frame flush with the mounts but if I do all of the weld on the inside and top of the rails will be removed, that's maybe 20% of the total welds holding the cross member to the main frame rails.
Is is OK to cut this section of weld off? Don't have a welder and don't know a welder to patch it back up after cutting.
Don't really like the recessed look but don't want to mess up the strength of the rear frame members.
Thanks

Here are pics:
DSC09676.jpg
DSC09662.jpg

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
great question! mine currently sit the same way and havent cut them yet due to the weld. i didnt want to weaken that spot by any means since i do trailer a lot during the summer.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
it'll be close. on mine i cut into it and the other i left a little. i think i cut 1/2 inch. but i did weld up the side i cut.

If your not planning on running a receiver or adding/pulling anything with it I think it would be okay. If you plan to add a receiver and/or pull with it I would have it re-welded. When I trimmed mine the whole weld got cut off and I have a receiver so I welded it back up.

wwood

If your not planning on running a receiver or adding/pulling anything with it I think it would be okay. If you plan to add a receiver and/or pull with it I would have it re-welded. When I trimmed mine the whole weld got cut off and I have a receiver so I welded it back up.

Yes I will be running a receiver so I better get it welded back up. Can't do it myself so I will have to find a shop. Hate to let anybody work on my Jeep, just don't know of any reliable 4x4 shop in the Phoenix area. Anybody from AZ have a recommendation?

JKbrick

Yes I will be running a receiver so I better get it welded back up. Can't do it myself so I will have to find a shop. Hate to let anybody work on my Jeep, just don't know of any reliable 4x4 shop in the Phoenix area. Anybody from AZ have a recommendation?

Sounds like a great reason to purchase a welder! Someone once told me not only to unhook the battery but remove the gas cap. Not sure if that sounded like good advise to let gas fumes out

H8MUD

I cut mine to just before the weld. Doesn't sit completely flush but looks better than sitting 1/2-inch inside the frame.

Picture is after cutting and before painting it.

IMG_1363.jpg

wwood

I cut mine to just before the weld. Doesn't sit completely flush but looks better than sitting 1/2-inch inside the frame.

Picture is after cutting and before painting it.

Good idea, that is what I am going to do, cut up to the weld and leave the weld intact. If the D ring is still too recessed I will look into learning how to weld and fix it myself later.
Looks like I also have to cut the frame a little to get the flag-nut inside for the rearmost bolt.
Thanks for all the tips guys.

H8MUD

Good idea, that is what I am going to do, cut up to the weld and leave the weld intact. If the D ring is still too recessed I will look into learning how to weld and fix it myself later.
Looks like I also have to cut the frame a little to get the flag-nut inside for the rearmost bolt.
Thanks for all the tips guys.

Just take a prybar and spread the small opening a little so you can slide the nut...then hold the nut in place and after you screw the bolt, just push it closed. Hope that makes sense.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
On my jeep I was able to place the flag nut in the opening on the driver side a little bit and then tap it in with a hammer. On the pass side I tried the same but it was not opened as much so I tried the hole that is on the back side (towards the front of the jeep, by the muffler) and it fit like the driver side so I was able to tap it in. Didn't have to cut either opening to get the nuts inside the crossmember. Might check yours before you cut anything. Might work the same as mine, might not. They might be different.

As far as re welding the frame I didn't, but I need to recheck on how much I cut off. Seems like mine was welded further in on the frame but I could be wrong. Need to look and see if I need to re weld something before I tow and end up with a problem. Kind of glad I seen this.

wwood

Thanks again for the tips fellows. I will try prying or tapping the flag nut inside before I do any cutting there. Hopefully I can cut/grind enough metal off the main frame rail to get the D ring reasonably flush without removing too much weld. Don't know why EVO does not make the D rings a little longer since it looks like they fit too recessed in most/many Jeeps. Anyway they do look great!

BadApple

Letzroll Offroad, Absolute Offroad, Local Motors, 4x4 parts, Really anyone of these could do it pretty quickly for you and all are reputable shops and spread out around Phoenix. I would personally not your Desert Rat as they are garbage and there prices are high!

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Thanks again for the tips fellows. I will try prying or tapping the flag nut inside before I do any cutting there. Hopefully I can cut/grind enough metal off the main frame rail to get the D ring reasonably flush without removing too much weld. Don't know why EVO does not make the D rings a little longer since it looks like they fit too recessed in most/many Jeeps. Anyway they do look great!

yeah, just depends on your frame. mine i had to grind a little and enough to get my fat finger in there. no biggie.

Top Bottom