Evo high clearance long arm question.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
I was curious about how you got the jeep that high too. A stack of wood is truly scary. Jack stands look pretty beefy though.

I would use an engine lift to raise the jeep instead. Surely you can find one to borrow or maybe rent. Might still be a little iffy (depending on the weight rating). I would probably use a two ton at least.

Good luck and be careful.

jeeper52

LOSER
I was curious about how you got the jeep that high too. A stack of wood is truly scary. Jack stands look pretty beefy though.

I would use an engine lift to raise the jeep instead. Surely you can find one to borrow or maybe rent. Might still be a little iffy (depending on the weight rating). I would probably use a two ton at least.

Good luck and be careful.

Yeah i didn't like doing it that way but the railroad ties were the only thing i had on hand at the time. I like the engine hoist idea but how would you keep it stable without tipping?

RMC2

Caught the Bug
Yeah i didn't like doing it that way but the railroad ties were the only thing i had on hand at the time. I like the engine hoist idea but how would you keep it stable without tipping?

Only do one end (of course) at a time. You would have three points of support. Two wheels or jack stands on one end and the hoist on the other end. I would use a chain from both of the shackles or frame ends with the hoist centered on the jeep.

Since you are already in the air: after you get the axles and wheels on, lift one end and pull the jack stands from that end, then lower the jeep. Go to the other end, lift, pull the jack stands, lower. If you just want to lower the jeep closer to the ground (to put the axles back on or the wheels or whatever) you can do the same idea. Lift, shorten jack stands on one end, lower. Go to the other end.

You will always have 3 or 4 points of support at all times.

I hope I explained that well enough.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
Yes, one like that. You wouldnt need the load leveler, just the normal hook. Then a chain from side to side on your bumper/frame rails. Hook the hoist to the middle of the chain. I guess you could use the load leveler and hook up the same.

You could also run the chain to the middle of your bumper if it is stout enough. I have to look back at the photos.

The engine hoist gives you a higher lift than your floor jack, but you have to hook on somewhere. I would also shorten the length of boom up to the shortest length that will still give you the travel needed. Same idea as a crane boomed out to far.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
I didnt see any bumpers. On the front, use the frame ends. Do not use the flimsy front cross member. On the back, you could use the hitch or rear crossmember. That is a strong crossmember.

Just had a thought, after the wife asked what I was typing. Did you put the floor jack on top off the railroad ties. Or the rail road ties on top of the floor jack?

A solid stack of solid rr ties with the floor jack on top wouldn't be as scary. That is called cribbing. I wasn't thinking of that, because I have used wood blocks too. Done both ways before, that why I know it is scary. But never went as high as you did. Cribbing is a pain.

Rent or Borrow a hoist if you can. Buy one if you see other uses.

jeeper52

LOSER
I didnt see any bumpers. On the front, use the frame ends. Do not use the flimsy front cross member. On the back, you could use the hitch or rear crossmember. That is a strong crossmember.

Just had a thought, after the wife asked what I was typing. Did you put the floor jack on top off the railroad ties. Or the rail road ties on top of the floor jack?

A solid stack of solid rr ties with the floor jack on top wouldn't be as scary. That is called cribbing. I wasn't thinking of that, because I have used wood blocks too. Done both ways before, that why I know it is scary. But never went as high as you did. Cribbing is a pain.

Rent or Borrow a hoist if you can. Buy one if you see other uses.

Yeah i actually had to do it both ways. I placed the jack on ties and then used 1 tie on the jack to get the height that i wanted. Thanks for sharing about the engine hoist. I think thats what im going to use to lower it down.

Top Bottom