Evo leveling kit

mds22

Thanks for the synergy link. I guess now that we are getting into the details, will adding shock extensions cause a need for an exhaust spacer or possibly an aftermarket drive shaft since we can now get some additional articulation from the package?

I don't have exhaust spacers or driveshaft. I believe a half inch or so more and I would probably need to.

That's one reason I went with my set up over the longer shocks. With the Ranchos for 3" of lift I believe I would have needed to add spacers or take a chance on tearing my boot.

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
No exhaust spacer is needed even with shock extensions.

If you get new shocks you still don't need the spacer.

A 1" bumpstop isn't a bad idea as is can help eliminate the chance of over compressing your coils and making them go "solid". The cheapest spacer you can get is a hockey puck and mount it on the axle side

mds22

A 1" bumpstop isn't a bad idea as is can help eliminate the chance of over compressing your coils and making them go "solid". The cheapest spacer you can get is a hockey puck and mount it on the axle side

If I get the Rancho 9000 for 3" of lift (next size up) I wouldn't need exhaust spacers or new drive shift?
Curious why you say that.
I've always heard you would need exhaust spacers or a new drive shaft with a 3" coils and those shocks, what would change running them with a leveling kit? I understand the angle of the DS is different but that doesn't change the fact that the drive shaft will come into contact with the exhaust cross member when the shocks are fully extended which when that happens you run the risk of tearing the boot.
Not saying you are incorrect, I just don't understand the logic.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
If I get the Rancho 9000 for 3" of lift (next size up) I wouldn't need exhaust spacers or new drive shift?
Curious why you say that.
I've always heard you would need exhaust spacers or a new drive shaft with a 3" coils and those shocks, what would change running them with a leveling kit? I understand the angle of the DS is different but that doesn't change the fact that the drive shaft will come into contact with the exhaust cross member when the shocks are fully extended which when that happens you run the risk of tearing the boot.
Not saying you are incorrect, I just don't understand the logic.

Your going to unseat your coils big time if you get the ranchos for 3" of lift.

Shock extensions are not long enough to allow you ds to hit the exhaust. Hell I ran a 2.5" terrorflex with the proper length shocks and my ds never hit the exhaust.

The Evo leveling kit doesn't make you sit high enough to make you need a new ds or the spacer. It only raises you up about 2" in the front and rear and once you throw some weight on them it's going to sag a bit. Even if it did make you sit high enough your better off just replacing the ds over doing a spacer.

mds22

Your going to unseat your coils big time if you get the ranchos for 3" of lift.

Shock extensions are not long enough to allow you ds to hit the exhaust. Hell I ran a 2.5" terrorflex with the proper length shocks and my ds never hit the exhaust.
Please get that I'm not arguing, I have no experience with this. I'm just trying to understand the math.

RS999329 Rancho 9000xl 3" or ride height has an extended length of 25.28"
Rubicon shocks have an extended length of 22.75", plus teraflex shock extensions 2.5" equals 25.25"
So they would be virtually the same length.

I know the ride height isn't high enough to worry about the DS, I'm only talking about tearing the boot. I get that your experience was positive, but I don't get why is it recommended for one but not the other? I'm stressing bc if that's the case that shock extensions are ok, I'm swapping my shocks out for the 3" Ranchos

It can't be just mine didn't tear. If so we are back to "my d30 didn't break with 40s, you'll be fine"

trexburn

Just wondering, If you can run 35s with this kit why would one get a coil + shock kit to clear them. Is a coil+ shock kit better as in on/ off road performance. And if your only going to do a 2.5 lift is price difference worth it.

Sent from my QMV7B using WAYALIFE mobile app

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

With the longer shocks I had on the leveling kit I tore the boot on the driveshaft and it came pretty close to contacting the exhaust shield. I would say spacers are a good long term part to save that driveshaft. The bump stops are pretty much a must with longer shocks.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
With the longer shocks I had on the leveling kit I tore the boot on the driveshaft and it came pretty close to contacting the exhaust shield. I would say spacers are a good long term part to save that driveshaft. The bump stops are pretty much a must with longer shocks.

Did you get both front and rear driveshafts? If not, which one failed?

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

Did you get both front and rear driveshafts? If not, which one failed?

I havent gotten either one replaced yet just due to cost :crazyeyes: the front shaft is the one that will contact the exhaust shield. I had 1.5"-3" shocks on the leveling kit though. My front shaft hasn't failed, yet, just tore the boot for the slip joint.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Do you think the Rancho 5000 are considered better than a rubicon shock? all else equal i'd prefer to run what I have.

I would say yes. There is a video online that compares different types of shocks. Can't remember, but will try to find for you.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
Has anyone tried running rancho shocks on the front, ones that would come in the 2" sport package, and stock rubi shocks in the back with the evo rockstar skid?

trailless

Caught the Bug
Has anyone tried running rancho shocks on the front, ones that would come in the 2" sport package, and stock rubi shocks in the back with the evo rockstar skid?

A little different but I ordered a set of synergy front lower shock brackets that raise the mount by 2" and the evo rock stars. I'll be installing them sometime next week before heading up to windrock. I'll report back after.

Top Bottom