EVO Lower control arm failure and Bolt Torque

zimm

Caught the Bug
Well to sum this up, these aren't control arms failures. First one lost a loose bolt. Last one was a bracket getting ripped off the frame. So both are "mounting failures".

Oh, and OP, you're arms are on backwards. :bleh:

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Well to sum this up, these aren't control arms failures. First one lost a loose bolt. Last one was a bracket getting ripped off the frame. So both are "mounting failures".

Oh, and OP, you're arms are on backwards. :bleh:

Fact!

There is no backwards when there are joints on both ends and a bend in the middle.

I can almost guarantee that if installed backwards, the control arm will contact the axle mount under articulation just because of the diameter of the tube. If installed with adjustable end on the axle mount as stated in their instructions, the threaded portion of the rod end fits in the mount opening. Plus they say to make the control arm a certain length, then make any additional adjustment from the adjustment collar. This ensures there is still enough clearance between the arm and the control arm axle mount. Either way, as the control arm gets adjusted, the bend may or may not be in the “middle” anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
EVO arms are Johnny Joint on both sides. Threaded joint with adjustable collar at the axle side and welded joint cup at the frame side.

We do not use bonded rubber.

We don't use that bonded rubber crap!!! I love it. Another lesson to be learned here folks. Buy American Made quality parts from vendors who stand behind their products!!!

This is why the recommendations here are what they are. It's not "fan boy" recommendations. It's real world this stuff rocks recommendations.

Thanks EVO for helping resolve this with amazing support and no nonsense!!!

Coop

Caught the Bug
I’ve seen several other guys put them in backwards including yours truly. The foolish reason is because we wanted the grease zirks pointed down. Bad mistake. I sheared one off first trail after install. You only make that mistake once and accept that you have to drop one end of the arm to grease the Johnny joints.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
I’ve seen several other guys put them in backwards including yours truly. The foolish reason is because we wanted the grease zirks pointed down. Bad mistake. I sheared one off first trail after install. You only make that mistake once and accept that you have to drop one end of the arm to grease the Johnny joints.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yeah I think Eddie had a post that solved having to drop a control arm. I’ll have to dig it up.

Coop

Caught the Bug
I think the solution is to replace the straight zerk fitting with a 90 degree fitting. Not personal experience, but I remember reading that on here somewhere [emoji848] I forget which thread

Yea the 90s help on one end but not the other. Just can’t get to the zirk. The other proposed solution was the low profile fitting. This can shear also, but they are really hard to get to take grease. I have them on Dynatrac’s lower ball joint. Waste a lot of grease on these and never know if you lubed the joint.

Sam. My control arms are on exactly like yours. I don’t see how I could have read that wrong while installing my lift and nothing binds.
Just wondering what you heard about that or if you even asked when you called EVO. I mean I guess they could be backwards but hell its been fine for two years. lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom