Evo Mfg Gen 2 Rock Sliders??

iRonin

those look pretty slick, but I'm happy to rock the gen 1s - hell I'm still rockin' an original 1/4 ponder from before the update to support the Warn Zeon :)

Benito

Caught the Bug
Fill them with expanding foam and sand off the excess before you paint. Problem solved. ;)

Will that work? Won't the foam fill in the "EVO" letters?

I tried this, it didn't work out so well, maybe I was using the wrong foam?? But I squirt it in their and it seemed like it was going to work but then all the foam would just come out. It would t cure inside the frame.... So I taped the letters and tried again, it seemed like it was going to contain it but then in the morning all the foam came out from between the tape. It just made a mess. Both times w/wo tape covering the letters the foam would come out and expand to softball sizes. Almost like it needed air to expand properly. Today (24 hours later)I scraped out the foam that was between the letters and once I did that their was some of the goo still inside the rail that seeped out once I flipped them over to paint, once it came out it expanded... I used "Great Stuff"

Benito, Post some pics of the skins all mounted up. Thanks.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1461722152.509944.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1461722178.890654.jpg

I just got the rails primed tomorrow I am going to spray them black

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
So, does anyone know a way, if I go with the skins now, and decide a few years from now that I don't want them on, or to change things up, or whatever, if there is a way to cover up the holes/nutserts?

Exodus 4x4

So, does anyone know a way, if I go with the skins now, and decide a few years from now that I don't want them on, or to change things up, or whatever, if there is a way to cover up the holes/nutserts?

I don't think there's any divorcing skins. Once you drill that first hole it's petty much a lifetime commitment. I did the sides and the rear corners and personally would never go back if I could.

Benito

Caught the Bug

Extensive and expensive body work would be the only way I bet. I put silicone behind mine so if I want to remove them for any reason it is going to be that much more difficult.

Evil

Just like everyone said, you dont want to go back! I had some minor rock rash on my driver side lower just under the door and got a quote for 8500 bucks just to fix it. That is the only reason I went with the skins and sliders, if everything was straight, I would have went with sliders only and been done.

JeepJeep75

What do you guys think about just sliders without skins or corners? I'm definitely going to be putting EVO sliders on, just not sure I "need" the skins...

scull20

What do you guys think about just sliders without skins or corners? I'm definitely going to be putting EVO sliders on, just not sure I "need" the skins...

It's certainly be done before. I believe the thought process for the skins (beyond being cosmetic) is to protect the body from impacting the sliders during significant impacts. If you watch a few of the Wayalife JKX videos, you can see that there is movement there occasionally.

The corners are going to offer some extra trail protection from rocks, trees, etc (and again, are also cosmetic). They also serve as a mounting location for the evo tire carrier. Without the corners you CANNOT install this carrier...keep that in mind.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug

I ran just the sliders on my last rig. For where I am currently at, it worked great. I never had any issues with damaging or scratching the body under the sliders. My concern would be if I was doing a lot of wheeling in the desert, rocky trails or any fast stuff. That would increase the chances of rocks kicking up and possibly damaging the rocker panels, and that is where I think the EVO skins would be great!

My last rig:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1462045876.246086.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1462046021.486698.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1462046284.365333.jpg

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I don't think there's any divorcing skins. Once you drill that first hole it's petty much a lifetime commitment. I did the sides and the rear corners and personally would never go back if I could.

Extensive and expensive body work would be the only way I bet. I put silicone behind mine so if I want to remove them for any reason it is going to be that much more difficult.

Just like everyone said, you dont want to go back! I had some minor rock rash on my driver side lower just under the door and got a quote for 8500 bucks just to fix it. That is the only reason I went with the skins and sliders, if everything was straight, I would have went with sliders only and been done.

Thanks for the replies gents. I figured that was the case, but being that I have never run skins, I wasn't sure. I like the protection and look they offer, but not sure yet if I want to drill a bunch of holes into this rig. It's a commitment for sure lol!

sweno

Dont mind the look of them at all. Wonder if they would of pulled through all of the 2door ones into the Gen 2 stock yet?

Exodus 4x4

but not sure yet if I want to drill a bunch of holes into this rig. It's a commitment for sure lol!

Honestly, you don't even think about it after you get them mounted. The hard part for me was making sure I had everything lined up just before I drilled the first hole. I did a ton research before and made sure I had all my ducks in a row so that when it started it went smooth. I'm glad I did it too, because last trip out I actually got some use out of them. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1462072368.438321.jpg
I didn't even know this had happened until I got back to camp. Trust me, you'll never not want them on there.

asullivan920

what front bumper is that?

I ran just the sliders on my last rig. For where I am currently at, it worked great. I never had any issues with damaging or scratching the body under the sliders. My concern would be if I was doing a lot of wheeling in the desert, rocky trails or any fast stuff. That would increase the chances of rocks kicking up and possibly damaging the rocker panels, and that is where I think the EVO skins would be great!

My last rig:
View attachment 201010
View attachment 201011
View attachment 201021

what front bumper is that?

Thanks

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
They copies designs of companies who have been around for a while as well.

I personally have yet to see a front bumper like that one. I searched for quite a few months and still haven't seen one close enough I would call a copy of anything else. I would say the closest thing to the look of it would be the Artec Nighthawk or EVO Pro series, but IMO they are each distinct enough I wouldn't consider any of them a copy of each other.

Top Bottom