EVO oil pan skid

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Exact same thing happened to me.
Put the oil pan skid on - no problems
Put the tranny skid pan on - constant leaking
Got tired of the oil stains on the driveway and just yanked it off - so it sits in my garage, not sure what to do other than the entire tranny pan taken off and putting new RTV on along with the tranny skid pan.
If it leaks after all that then I'll make a planter out of the skid pan.:thinking:

Actually, the tranny skid pan I purchased from Northridge came to me bent, I tried pounding out the dent and I think I'll call EVO to try and get a replacement before totally giving up.

Here was my previous thread:
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?9581-EVO-Transmission-Skid-2011-JKU

Like I said before, you just needed to give us call so we could take care of it? I thought you said it did not fit because of the bent flange. Why would it be the oil skids fault it's leaking if its not installed?

If you broke the seal trying to install the skid, then yes you need to reinstall it with RTV

Last edited:

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I did notice the steel that butts up against the pan wasn't a 100% flat. I figured it would be ok.........I hope.

I however was discussing with a mechanic at work about the issue I ran into over the weekend on the aluminum block. He didn't seem to think it's a smart idea to bolt a steel plate against a aluminum block. If it did get hit at what force could it take and at what point can the bolts hold since the bolts are now shorter? I'd hate to have those bolts shear off, cracking the aluminum block....... Just a thought

It's not against the block, it's against the factory oil pan.

If your hitting the skid that hard wheeling you might want to try picking better lines or use a spotter.

pastorwug

Like I said before, you just needed to give us call so we could take care of it? I thought you said it did not fit because of the bent flange. Why would it be the oil skids fault it's leaking if its not installed?

If you broke the seal trying to install the skid, then yes you need to reinstall it with RTV

Yes you did and I called this morning and spoke with Mel. All is well, I also contacted David at Northridge and he arranged return through EVO.

Yes, I will be removing the pan and resealing with RTV when I try again.

pastorwug

I did notice the steel that butts up against the pan wasn't a 100% flat. I figured it would be ok.........I hope.

I however was discussing with a mechanic at work about the issue I ran into over the weekend on the aluminum block. He didn't seem to think it's a smart idea to bolt a steel plate against a aluminum block. If it did get hit at what force could it take and at what point can the bolts hold since the bolts are now shorter? I'd hate to have those bolts shear off, cracking the aluminum block....... Just a thought

The oil pan should be between the skid and the engine block or the tranny, and in both cases the OEM pans appear to be steel.

JK's JK

Banned
It's not against the block, it's against the factory oil pan.

If your hitting the skid that hard wheeling you might want to try picking better lines or use a spotter.

Don't get me wrong Chris. I'm not arguing about the design of the skid plate. I'm stating a point that the factory bolts holding the factory transmission pan is at a certain length of bolt into a aluminum block and is no longer there. I talked with a mechanic that I work with and he seemed not to think it's wise for a 10lb plate to be on there into a aluminum block. I have not wheeled this jeep yet since I have had it for two weeks. I do plan on driving smart and hope to Jesus I don't hit my transmission.

Last edited:

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Don't get me wrong Chris. I'm not arguing about the design of the skid plate. I'm stating a point that the factory bolts holding the factory transmission pan is at a certain length of bolt into a aluminum block and is no longer there. I talked with a mechanic that I work with and he seemed not to think it's wise for a 10lb plate to be on there into a aluminum block. I have not wheeled this jeep yet since I have had it for two weeks. I do plan on driving smart and hope to Jesus I don't hit my transmission.

Not taking offense, but we do have an engineer who designed the skid. He's well aware of the stresses it can take.

Top Bottom