Evo ProTek skids install

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I think MTG and I installed pretty close to the first or second one of these kits. We read the directions wrong and actually lifted the tranny off of the bolts. That was fun. ;)

dunstan74

I ended up lifting my transmission off the bolts aswell...you dont want that hassle realigning them haha

Silver Surfer

Biggest thing is work your way back and take the oem cross-member off.after that the install is easy I did mine on a 12 2dr I jacked up my transfer case up a couple inches to get the trans plate to mount on. the transfer case bolts are a PITA to get off and on. 16 swivel will help a lot gloves also if you value your knuckles at all.

dillard09

That is a great write up by Eddie! I just have to get that cross-member skid cut and I think I'll be fine.

Best way to cut skid? Sawzall?

Last edited:

LeighP

Thanks for the heads up on the 16mm wrench....just ordered one. My ProTek skids are "in the mail", should be hear next week. :)

dillard09

Got the skids installed except the crossmember skid. I have to say the 08 was very easy. The tranny skid is just the bolts on the tranny pan just like the oil pan. Pull the bolts, put up the skid, and bolt back up. The tranny did leak a bit when I pulled the bolts but got it back up. Ole Betsy is down at ORE for a retorqe and a locker issue and they are going to modify the crossmember skid and install it for me. Thanks for your your input and help guys!

ForumRunner_20150720_122202.jpg

USMC Wrangler

I'm installing these very soon on my 13 JKU. 16mm ratcheting wrench and the auto trans skid are due to arrive today. The other two skids are already here. Thanks for this thread in addition to Eddie's write-up and answering my silly questions on the thread I started... :thumb:

LeighP

Fitted the engine skid section on the weekend.
Was straight forward, that tip on the masking tape over the corner holes is a time saver. :)
The rest of the skid components will go on after the dealer service at the end of the month.....don't want them to complain they couldn't check something because the skids were in the way, lol.

LeighP

Added the rest of the EVO Pro-Tek skid system today....the trans and exhaust/crossmember skid.
Not too difficult, but some of the nuts you have to remove are bloody tight. The Wayalife published "how to" thread is awesome......EVO could take some suggestions from that for their instructions....which aren't brilliant.
The flex head 16mm wrench is a 'must have"....would have been a bear to get those trans mount nuts without it.

USMC Wrangler

Well done!

Edit:
I used the fixed ratcheting version. I will be adding the other one to my tool box before my first transmission service.

Last edited:
Top Bottom