Expedition mods

Clark Collins

I have a slightly modded 2010 JKU auto with 33" tires and 3.73 gears. I eventually want to go to 35" tires. I've been thinking of a gear change to 4.88 and adding lockers to the dana 30 front and 44 back. I keep going back and forth between continuing to modify the 2010 or waiting until I can swap up to a new Rubicon. If I got a Rubicon I would want to put the 35s on without changing the gearing from the stock 4.10s. On this forum I see lots of folks running modified older rigs with the 3.8 engine that have been geared and running 35s and others with newer rigs with the 3.6.

I don't plan on doing any serious rock crawling, but would like a little more capability than I have now. I like the way I've got my rig set up for hauling gear with the rack, air-bags and under floor storage. I would need to do the same mods to the Rubicon if I got one. Forum posters sound pretty impressed with the 3.6 engine and 5 speed auto, so I'm kind of leaning toward waiting for a new starting point rather than modding what I've got. I also like the idea of the electric sway bar disconnects as mine are quick discos now so I don't use them as much as I think I would with the Rubi.

I've gotten lots of great ideas from the JK forums and would like some feedback on this to help me with this decision. I keep going back and forth and would like to hear what you folks think. This is my first Jeep and it is my daily driver.

Last edited:

Donny

I'll spend your money :)

Go buy a Rubicon 12 or newer...You just will not regret it. And many run 35's on the 4.10 and don't complain. I have a 13 Sport 4dr 3.73 auto...knowing what I know now would have done everything different. You sound like you are leaning more towards a "Overlanding" rig. 70% of my use for my rig is camping and fishing and exploring but needed rock climbing capabilities because I live in AZ and their is to much rock fun to be had!!! I now need to changeout my front 30 for a 44 and need lockers. Manually disconnecting doesn't bother me takes three minutes...

Donny

Clark Collins

I'll spend your money :)

Go buy a Rubicon 12 or newer...You just will not regret it. And many run 35's on the 4.10 and don't complain. I have a 13 Sport 4dr 3.73 auto...knowing what I know now would have done everything different. You sound like you are leaning more towards a "Overlanding" rig. 70% of my use for my rig is camping and fishing and exploring but needed rock climbing capabilities because I live in AZ and their is to much rock fun to be had!!! I now need to changeout my front 30 for a 44 and need lockers. Manually disconnecting doesn't bother me takes three minutes...

Donny
Did you have an older Jeep with the 3.8 before you got the 13? Is the 3.6 really that much better? I'm afraid to go test drive one until I'm in a position to trade up.

Are you running 35s with the 3.73 gears? I had been looking to purchase used Rubi axles for my 2010, but never did find any at the right price. Thanks for your response to my post!

More info from other forum members would be appreciated.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Are you running 35s with the 3.73 gears? .

i ran 35's on my 3.73's for a while and it honestly wasnt that bad. while it did feel like i lost some power i wasnt complaining. eventually you will want to regear but otherwise you will be fine with it. i think i saw a few others on here that have been on 35's and 3.73 for a lot longer than i have and still dont have plans to regear anythime soon.

Rottenbelly

Gears make a huge difference. That being said, I personally wouldn't even go less than 5:13's with 35's on a pre 12.
I run 5:38's with 37's and still don't like it out here in the mtns. I am actually thinking of going back to 35's.
Mine is a daily driver. I haven't driven a newer motor yet. I would hate to have to start my build over with what I have into mine.

munstie

Love mine on 5.13's with 35's. 3.73's weren't terrible, but the difference is night and day on and off road.

Sent from the Zone of Influence

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Did you have an older Jeep with the 3.8 before you got the 13? Is the 3.6 really that much better? I'm afraid to go test drive one until I'm in a position to trade up.

Are you running 35s with the 3.73 gears? I had been looking to purchase used Rubi axles for my 2010, but never did find any at the right price. Thanks for your response to my post!

The 3.6 is very livable with 35's and 4.10 gears. MTG and I drove his his loaded up Jeep ("Knuckles") from Reno to Moab, wheeled it, then drove it home. We hit 80 on the freeway with little effort and had plenty of gear for the trails. Now, add 37's to the mix and that all changes. If you drive in the mountains at all, I would recommend 5.13's with 37's and the 3.6. MTG moved up in tires, and gears, and Knuckles still runs well.

And yes, in my opinion, the 3.6 is that much better. MTG's 3.6 turning 35's with 4.10's had much more power than my 3.8 turning 33's with 4.10's.

Donny

I did not have a 3.8 jeep prior. But I have and do ride with others that do. The power is night and day to me. I am running 3.73 with 35" tires on a 3.5" lift with Poison spider bumpers front and back. Rubi front 44 is on my list but they are like finding gold in a cabbage patch. :brows:

Donny

Flyer

The 3.6 is a lot better, though still no torque monster or anything. With 4.10s and light 35s, it is bearable though some mountain passes become seriously annoying in 3rd and a quick automatic jump to 2nd (have to just go slower). Still, not bad. I drove the 3.8 and it was a pretty significant difference. 4.56 would be ideal with the 3.6 and 35s though a few would prefer 4.88s. While I am not saying it would be cheaper to get a newer JK, it may be easier and more fun to drive.

Last edited:

13gecko

I own a 2013 2dr Sport 6 speed manual with 37s and 5.13 gears and a 2009 2dr Sport automatic with 35s and 3.73 gears.

To me, the 3.6 is much more fun to drive. On the other hand I would say if you already have mods you like on your jeep, I would just go with 5.13 gears and save up for a V8 swap someday.

The cost of a V8 swap is really not bad if you compare it to the total cost of buying a 2014 rubicon. Although financing a new jeep would be easier, I would rather save and have a V8 powered JK. That way you have the jeep you want with more power. Just my thoughts.

Top Bottom