Failed Fox Shock

dixondave

Most shocks are the limiting factor in down travel so I don't think that would be an issue. Limitimg straps are typically used when shock travel it too much causing driveline bind or coils to unseat and fall out. Maybe a bad casting or something. As mentioned I feel this is more of an isolated incident. OP should tell his buddy to call Fox.

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

He did contact Fox when it happened the first time on the left front and Fox was awesome and sent him a replacement part. I am almost certain they will stand behind there product again now that occurred again on the right front.

SSRuger

If your downward travel is only limited by the shocks then they are possibly taking all the weight of the axle when drooped. So shock being too short is definitely a possibility
Most shocks are the limiting factor in down travel so I don't think that would be an issue. Limitimg straps are typically used when shock travel it too much causing driveline bind or coils to unseat and fall out. Maybe a bad casting or something. As mentioned I feel this is more of an isolated incident. OP should tell his buddy to call Fox.

Sent from my SM-N975U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sharkey

Word Ninja
What is supposed to limit down travel then? Stock jeeps do not come with limiting straps or any other kind of stops.

Exactly. Unless you have limiting straps there will always be some part of the suspension limiting down travel. It could be the shocks, the sway bar/links (depending on the setup) or possibly even brake lines (which would really be stupid).

I think the common limit to down travel in most setups is always going to be the shocks, which I don’t think is really an issue in normal suspension cycling at slow speed. It’s a bigger issue when your vehicle is leaving the ground a lot or the suspension is bottoming out at high speed.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

jesse3638

Hooked
Exactly. Unless you have limiting straps there will always be some part of the suspension limiting down travel. It could be the shocks, the sway bar/links (depending on the setup) or possibly even brake lines (which would really be stupid).

I think the common limit to down travel in most setups is always going to be the shocks, which I don’t think is really an issue in normal suspension cycling at slow speed. It’s a bigger issue when your vehicle is leaving the ground a lot or the suspension is bottoming out at high speed.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE
Yeah excessive bottoming or topping out at speed could damage the shocks or cause the end to rip off like that.

Top Bottom