First-timers trip to Moab: Impressions & experiences

Ddays

Hooked
haha, that's the one. "hunny, to the right. plenty of room to the right!"

That's a classic! I laughed so hard the first time I watched that my wife came into the room to ask what was so funny. The guy whistled almost the whole way down... She was an awfully good sport though.

That will DEFINITELY be on I do solo!

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
That's a classic! I laughed so hard the first time I watched that my wife came into the room to ask what was so funny. The guy whistled almost the whole way down... She was an awfully good sport though.

That will DEFINITELY be on I do solo!

This is likely going to be exactly what happens with my wife in a couple weeks when we go down it

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Nice post. I was reminded of my first trip to Moab. I got broken in on Hells Revenge. I was nervous and the wife was terrified to tears at one point. We were new to off-roading in general so this was a really intense trip for us. Now that we have more experience with riding on the trails, we look back and realize the scariness was mostly psychological and we weren't in as much danger as we thought we were. Still, the trails in Moab are nothing to take lightly and though a lot of people make it look easy, I have a healthy respect for the trails. Having the wife get in the drivers seat has helped ease her fears and now she has a lot more fun too. Moab is now our favorite place to wheel and we go at least once a year.

Sudz

Glad you finally made it out there and had a good time. :clap2:
I've done the drive 2X from Bucks County, PA.
windmills, windmills & more windmills...

Ddays

Hooked
This is likely going to be exactly what happens with my wife in a couple weeks when we go down it

LOL, I know I'm gonna nervous as hell but its one of those trails I just have to do. I'd love to hear how she does!

Nice post. I was reminded of my first trip to Moab. I got broken in on Hells Revenge. I was nervous and the wife was terrified to tears at one point. We were new to off-roading in general so this was a really intense trip for us. Now that we have more experience with riding on the trails, we look back and realize the scariness was mostly psychological and we weren't in as much danger as we thought we were. Still, the trails in Moab are nothing to take lightly and though a lot of people make it look easy, I have a healthy respect for the trails. Having the wife get in the drivers seat has helped ease her fears and now she has a lot more fun too. Moab is now our favorite place to wheel and we go at least once a year.

Thanks! I really wanted to do that trail too, but there's always next time. And I plan on it being several times. Yeah, the first trip down several of the roads were eye-openers, but after the second or third day it wasn't really as big of a deal. Respect is a great word to use out there. I think next time out I'll try to go when others will be there that are more experienced with that area. I'm sure that will ease some of the anxiety.

Glad you finally made it out there and had a good time. :clap2:
I've done the drive 2X from Bucks County, PA.
windmills, windmills & more windmills...

Thanks bud! Yeah, you have an extra 4-5 hours past me. :crazyeyes: Man, that is one helluva drive. I forgot about those windmills. There has to be a couple hundred of those things!
Edit - I just googled that wind farm and there are 155 total windmills now.

Last edited:

Ddays

Hooked
So some of the last impressions I thought about the past few days.

Moab is a great adventure town, not only for wheeling but for all outdoor activities. My daughters did the zipline deal at the place when you first get into town and loved it. It was a 2.5 hour long deal so its worth the price.

Razr/UTV's are everywhere. Saw a lot on the trails too. Several places rent them.

Rafting, kayaking, and the SUP's are all over the Colorado River but if you are going to rent these make sure you make reservations ahead of time! I did not and we missed renting kayaks or rafts - all booked up. There are several "adventure" rental places up & down main street that have all of these items available. Bicycles are big out there too. Quire a few bike tours available.

The place we stayed had horse riding available and that went over big with the girls & wife. They went in the evening and rode out towards Fisher Towers. I washed the Jeep :cool:

Moab Brewing rocks!

Lots of really good restaurants. Spoke, Moab Brewery and Sunset Grill up on the cliff are all really good. Be ready if you go to Sunset Grill - it's pretty pricey but we splurged the last night there. Food was excellent.

Then there are the National & State Parks.
We made it to Arches, Canyonlands (northern part) and Dead Horse Point. Didn't have time to get to Bryce Canyon or Zion. Honestly, if you went out & didnt get to wheel, these parks are worth the trip alone.

Bottom line is that this area is like one big ass playground. If you like the outdoors, you'll find something to like there. This is definitely a place to take the whole family. I thought Moab was primarily a wheeling town and that was it, but that's another thing I pleasantly underestimated.

Bottom line is that if you are thinking about going, get the hell out there man! Gas is cheap right now and looks to hold steady for the forseable future. Condo rentals are reasonable (one good place to check is VRBO) and you wont be disappointed!

Here are a few photos of what we experienced out there. Sadly the decent wheeling pics are on my daughters phone and she lives in Erie, Pa. Nothing that everyone hasnt seen already I guess.
Th third photo is the hike to see Delicate Arch. Worth the trip BUT DO IT IN THE MORNING!

7D_17753.jpg

7D_17767.jpg

7D_17769.jpg

7D_17777.jpg

7D_17969.jpg

0703160717.jpg

0704161155.jpg

0705161213a.jpg

0705161926.jpg

0706161219a_Pano.jpg

0706161303a_Pano.jpg

0706161420.jpg

So that's pretty much it. Hope you enjoyed it and got some useful info from this post. Better yet, I hope you get the chance to get out there if you haven't already!

Attachments

• 0703161544.jpg
    0703161544.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 181

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Right on man! Great summation of one of my favorite areas to visit. It's awesome that you made the long haul out west and got to experience some of its natural beauty. I'm in awe of the landscape every time I get out in it. It never ceases to amaze me. Nice pics and memories for you. To me these experiences are what life's all about. Nice pics too.

Ddays

Hooked
Love the thread and pics! Love to make it out to Moab.

You gotta get out there Pete! Its one of the most amazing places I've been to! Course you already live in an amazing place. So jealous of you guys out West...

Amazing pics, I hope to make it out there some day!

Thanks - and see above. Once won't be enough. You'll want to go back. Hell, it;ll be cool out there compared to SC. Damn its hot down there!

Sounds like a great trip. Planning on going out there next summer with my daughter of everything goes right

You'll both love it. So much to do besides trails. You have to get to a couple of the parks out there. My youngest daughter just started college this year and we already are planning our trip together when she graduates and gets
her own Jeep.

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
So some of the last impressions I thought about the past few days.

Moab is a great adventure town, not only for wheeling but for all outdoor activities. My daughters did the zipline deal at the place when you first get into town and loved it. It was a 2.5 hour long deal so its worth the price.

Razr/UTV's are everywhere. Saw a lot on the trails too. Several places rent them.

Rafting, kayaking, and the SUP's are all over the Colorado River but if you are going to rent these make sure you make reservations ahead of time! I did not and we missed renting kayaks or rafts - all booked up. There are several "adventure" rental places up & down main street that have all of these items available. Bicycles are big out there too. Quire a few bike tours available.

The place we stayed had horse riding available and that went over big with the girls & wife. They went in the evening and rode out towards Fisher Towers. I washed the Jeep :cool:

Moab Brewing rocks!

Lots of really good restaurants. Spoke, Moab Brewery and Sunset Grill up on the cliff are all really good. Be ready if you go to Sunset Grill - it's pretty pricey but we splurged the last night there. Food was excellent.

Then there are the National & State Parks.
We made it to Arches, Canyonlands (northern part) and Dead Horse Point. Didn't have time to get to Bryce Canyon or Zion. Honestly, if you went out & didnt get to wheel, these parks are worth the trip alone.

Bottom line is that this area is like one big ass playground. If you like the outdoors, you'll find something to like there. This is definitely a place to take the whole family. I thought Moab was primarily a wheeling town and that was it, but that's another thing I pleasantly underestimated.

Bottom line is that if you are thinking about going, get the hell out there man! Gas is cheap right now and looks to hold steady for the forseable future. Condo rentals are reasonable (one good place to check is VRBO) and you wont be disappointed!

Here are a few photos of what we experienced out there. Sadly the decent wheeling pics are on my daughters phone and she lives in Erie, Pa. Nothing that everyone hasnt seen already I guess.
Th third photo is the hike to see Delicate Arch. Worth the trip BUT DO IT IN THE MORNING!

View attachment 212298

View attachment 212299

View attachment 212300

View attachment 212301

View attachment 212302

View attachment 212303

View attachment 212305

View attachment 212306

View attachment 212307

View attachment 212308

View attachment 212310

View attachment 212311

So that's pretty much it. Hope you enjoyed it and got some useful info from this post. Better yet, I hope you get the chance to get out there if you haven't already!

like you I did my first trip out to Moab this yr , got the jeep back in mid april and when june came around I was on the road with it put over 4k miles in just under 10 days .. rolled out to Gila national forest to see some cliff dwellings then off to Death Valley N.P. to temps of 110 and more for a couple days before heading off to Moab where it wasn't much cooler ...hit up Canyonlands N.P. , ran Gemini Bridges before doing top of the world trail ... and just a lot of looking around enjoying the couple days I spent there before heading home to Texas ... from the looks of it I would say you all had a blast I know I sure enjoyed myself when I went and look forward to making it back up there when it isn't quite so hot :thumb:

JeepJeep75

Counting down the days until my wife and I get to go. Come on October 3ed! Everything I'm finding online says October is the best time to visit. CAN'T WAIT!!!!

Ddays

Hooked
like you I did my first trip out to Moab this yr , got the jeep back in mid april and when june came around I was on the road with it put over 4k miles in just under 10 days .. rolled out to Gila national forest to see some cliff dwellings then off to Death Valley N.P. to temps of 110 and more for a couple days before heading off to Moab where it wasn't much cooler ...hit up Canyonlands N.P. , ran Gemini Bridges before doing top of the world trail ... and just a lot of looking around enjoying the couple days I spent there before heading home to Texas ... from the looks of it I would say you all had a blast I know I sure enjoyed myself when I went and look forward to making it back up there when it isn't quite so hot :thumb:

Awesome! Yeah, I will probably go when it isn't so damn hot next time, but honestly I'd go in the Summer again.

Counting down the days until my wife and I get to go. Come on October 3ed! Everything I'm finding online says October is the best time to visit. CAN'T WAIT!!!!

Wow, that'd be great to go in October! Hope you post up your pics somewhere on WAL!

uberc4

You will enjoy Moab. It's an awesome place. Arches Natl park is ok. The best Arch that we could find was outside the park across the Colorado River (Corona Arch). Tons of great food choices too. The M.O.A.B. Burrito from Miguel's Baja Grill was on point especially with Lamb. Also, the best breakfast burrito I found was from Eklecticafe.

@chuck_slayton

You gotta get out there Pete! Its one of the most amazing places I've been to! Course you already live in an amazing place. So jealous of you guys out West...

Thanks - and see above. Once won't be enough. You'll want to go back. Hell, it;ll be cool out there compared to SC. Damn its hot down there!

You'll both love it. So much to do besides trails. You have to get to a couple of the parks out there. My youngest daughter just started college this year and we already are planning our trip together when she graduates and gets
her own Jeep.

You telling me, it's stupid hot here!!!! First summer I've owned a spiderwebshade and where the hell has it been my entire life! I don't use the AC and spend 95% of the summer top less and door less since it don't rain here!

Ddays

Hooked
You telling me, it's stupid hot here!!!! First summer I've owned a spiderwebshade and where the hell has it been my entire life! I don't use the AC and spend 95% of the summer top less and door less since it don't rain here!

LOL - my daughter is going to college in Columbia - holy humidity batman! Took her down a couple weeks ago & lost 15 pounds the first day!!

Top Bottom