Five reasons why internal combustion engines are here to stay

p38

Caught the Bug
Great article. I have a 6th reason, albeit not as scientific as the others - because crusty "old bastards" like me will do everything they can, for as long as they can, to keep them running.

Not to hog the forum, or climb on my soapbox - but I feel I am amongst friends when I say: I, for one, am tired of being labeled a "Capitalist Pig" and told I have no regard for the environment by a bunch of young, entitled liberals who have never worked a day in their life and think the best way forward is to "Tax the Wealthy" and hand out free shit to people who simply don't want to work.
No, I do not want to go for a ride in your Tesla, nor do I give a shit about how far you go between charges or the efficiency of your hybrid. I do not care what kind of mileage I get in any of my vehicles, and the only time I make a calculation is when I consider how many 55 gal drums of fuel to load on the trailer when we take the jeep to remote locations. In my career I made many long-range flights, both over-water and over-land, over flying areas where the options to stop for fuel were either non-existent or not advisable. Fuel planning, for me, has always been logistical, conservation being to ensure I make it to my destination - not so the world does not run out of fossil fuel. When challenged with my lack of regard for future generations, I ask, whilst puffing on a cigar, "What's your plan for when the sun burns out?" I find that shuts them up - whether from total disgust or bewilderment, I don't care - they go away and leave me alone.
As I grow older I find my opinions are not changing, it's my tolerance. When I was younger I would try to explain myself, feeling this would possibly enlighten others to consider a different perspective. Now, I view this as an intrusion into my cigar time; to the point of telling a young relative I had neither the patience nor the crayons to explain it to him. That went over well, now his mother doesn't speak to me - I should have thought of that sooner.
In a way I feel sorry for this new generation, they will never experience the thrill of going down a drag strip, strapped to 1000HP (or more). They won't know what it's like to stand 4 throttles up to take-off power and feel the ground shake beneath you as you roar down the runway. Granted, some of these electric cars have impressive acceleration, free of friction - they just don't sound right.
I grew up in the age of horsepower, "There is no substitute for cubic inches", NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT", "The only time you can have too much fuel is when you're on fire", were but a few of the phrases we heard repeated over and over. Hell, we had bumper stickers emblazoned with these words plastered to shop walls, tool boxes, cars, trucks, etc. When my buddy in High School bragged his 327 powered 55 Chevy got 6 miles per gallon, we asked what was wrong with it - mine got about 4.
Label me what you will, but I want a bag when I go to the supermarket, I burn wood in my fireplaces, I go hunting, I smoke cigars, and I DO NOT plug my vehicles into an electrical outlet.

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Great article. I have a 6th reason, albeit not as scientific as the others - because crusty "old bastards" like me will do everything they can, for as long as they can, to keep them running.

Not to hog the forum, or climb on my soapbox - but I feel I am amongst friends when I say: I, for one, am tired of being labeled a "Capitalist Pig" and told I have no regard for the environment by a bunch of young, entitled liberals who have never worked a day in their life and think the best way forward is to "Tax the Wealthy" and hand out free shit to people who simply don't want to work.
No, I do not want to go for a ride in your Tesla, nor do I give a shit about how far you go between charges or the efficiency of your hybrid. I do not care what kind of mileage I get in any of my vehicles, and the only time I make a calculation is when I consider how many 55 gal drums of fuel to load on the trailer when we take the jeep to remote locations. In my career I made many long-range flights, both over-water and over-land, over flying areas where the options to stop for fuel were either non-existent or not advisable. Fuel planning, for me, has always been logistical, conservation being to ensure I make it to my destination - not so the world does not run out of fossil fuel. When challenged with my lack of regard for future generations, I ask, whilst puffing on a cigar, "What's your plan for when the sun burns out?" I find that shuts them up - whether from total disgust or bewilderment, I don't care - they go away and leave me alone.
As I grow older I find my opinions are not changing, it's my tolerance. When I was younger I would try to explain myself, feeling this would possibly enlighten others to consider a different perspective. Now, I view this as an intrusion into my cigar time; to the point of telling a young relative I had neither the patients nor the crayons to explain it to him. That went over well, now his mother doesn't speak to me - I should have thought of that sooner.
In a way I feel sorry for this new generation, they will never experience the thrill of going down a drag strip, strapped to 1000HP (or more). They won't know what it's like to stand 4 throttles up to take-off power and feel the ground shake beneath you as you roar down the runway. Granted, some of these electric cars have impressive acceleration, free of friction - they just don't sound right.
I grew up in the age of horsepower, "There is no substitute for cubic inches", NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT", "The only time you can have too much fuel is when you're on fire", were but a few of the phrases we heard repeated over and over. Hell, we had bumper stickers emblazoned with these words plastered to shop walls, tool boxes, cars, trucks, etc. When my buddy in High School bragged his 327 powered 55 Chevy got 6 miles per gallon, we asked what was wrong with it - mine got about 4.
Label me what you will, but I want a bag when I go to the supermarket, I burn wood in my fireplaces, I go hunting, I smoke cigars, and I DO NOT plug my vehicles into an electrical outlet.

:usa-salute: :beer:

pop2tu

When challenged with my lack of regard for future generations, I ask, whilst puffing on a cigar, "What's your plan for when the sun burns out?" I find that shuts them up - whether from total disgust or bewilderment, I don't care -

That could not have been said any better!
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

jdofmemi

As I grow older I find my opinions are not changing, it's my tolerance. When I was younger I would try to explain myself, feeling this would possibly enlighten others to consider a different perspective. Now, I view this as an intrusion into my cigar time; to the point of telling a young relative I had neither the patience nor the crayons to explain it to him. That went over well, now his mother doesn't speak to me - I should have thought of that sooner.

This is truly inspirational 👍🍻⛽🇺🇲

wjtstudios

Hooked
I couldn't agree more. The only thing better than sitting behind 1, was sitting between 2.

View attachment 360079

Did you have one? I’ve always wondered because of your screen name. That is truly my favorite plane in the history of Aviation. Absolutely beautiful piece of machinery and history

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Murphyfish

Caught the Bug
P38 Lightning is gorgeous. Just remember, the A10 designers had her in mind when they had to build a plane around a gun and a “bath tub”. The A10 Warthog and the Marines Harrier were best CAS fixed wing ever. IMG_3007.JPG

p38

Caught the Bug
Did you have one? I’ve always wondered because of your screen name. That is truly my favorite plane in the history of Aviation. Absolutely beautiful piece of machinery and history

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

No, never owned one - just flew them.

Brute

Hooked
P38 Lightning is gorgeous. Just remember, the A10 designers had her in mind when they had to build a plane around a gun and a “bath tub”. The A10 Warthog and the Marines Harrier were best CAS fixed wing ever. View attachment 360100

I've always dug the P38...but the Warthog might be my favorite plane of all time...

Murphyfish

Caught the Bug
I've always dug the P38...but the Warthog might be my favorite plane of all time...

I can’t believe as effective as they were during the onset of Afghanistan that the military decided that they didn’t want this platform anymore.

Top Bottom