Flat Fender choice

Guascone

There's always the two schools of thought around "cheap, tear-able, replacable" stock/plastic and "expensive but sturdy" steel aftermarkets. To each their own, but one pseudo myths you'll hear about steel is that if you get a good enough impact it will crush in/leave body damage. Anything's possible with enough force, but the "good ones" out there like Poison Spyder come with additional sub-frame brackets that sit behind the sheet metal, in line with the flare, and butt up against the inner frame, which means load is transferred past the quarter panel sheet metal. I've used my rear steel crusher flares countless times as a tree/rock pivots for swinging around tight spaces and it's really saved my hard top and rear quarter panels from getting munched.

Interesting point of view!

Thanks

JoeB-JKURX

Strongest Steel Bumpers

Is Poison Spyder the strongest steel tube fender out there? Seems that, if you hit something with enough force to push cut fenders into the tub, the tub will suffer. If you have something solid (like was described) that, somehow tied into the frame, it would keep you off the obstruction. I have steel Metalcloak Overlines that seem solid but will confess that I probably would not have bought them if I had joined this forum before I bought them (I most likely would have cut my stockers).

JoeB-JKURX

Why don't you like your metalcloaks I've had them on for a couple months and I love them it was an all around good experience

I like them fine. They were expensive, however, and took almost all day to install. I wasn't even aware that folks trimmed the stockers. If I'd known, I'd probably have gotten gears instead.

tonytony9

Io sono riuscito a tagliare i miei paraurti dopo una rottura. I paraurti del MCE sono "flessibili" e i paraurti del Bushwacker sono buoni ma non flessibili.

Guascone

Io sono riuscito a tagliare i miei paraurti dopo una rottura. I paraurti del MCE sono "flessibili" e i paraurti del Bushwacker sono buoni ma non flessibili.

Complimenti per il tuo italiano!

In italian language the fenders are named " parafanghi".
"Paraurti" means bumper.

In any case thanks for the feedback.

[emoji482][emoji482][emoji482]

Jmjnewbold

There's always the two schools of thought around "cheap, tear-able, replacable" stock/plastic and "expensive but sturdy" steel aftermarkets. To each their own, but one pseudo myths you'll hear about steel is that if you get a good enough impact it will crush in/leave body damage. Anything's possible with enough force, but the "good ones" out there like Poison Spyder come with additional sub-frame brackets that sit behind the sheet metal, in line with the flare, and butt up against the inner frame, which means load is transferred past the quarter panel sheet metal. I've used my rear steel crusher flares countless times as a tree/rock pivots for swinging around tight spaces and it's really saved my hard top and rear quarter panels from getting munched.

I've heard that pseudo myth several times. I think with smittybilt the load would probably be transferred right onto the body. Do you know if brands like metal cloak, JCR, or crawler conceptz run sub-frame brackets like Poison Spyder does?

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Pseudo myth? I watched it happen on the Rubicon a few years ago and with poison spyder flares. Was the damage unbearable? No. But there was absolutely damage and if memory serves, it was a hit against a tree. Hardly something that I would consider extreme and certainly not even a flop.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Pseudo myth? I watched it happen on the Rubicon a few years ago and with poison spyder flares. Was the damage unbearable? No. But there was absolutely damage and if memory serves, it was a hit against a tree. Hardly something that I would consider extreme and certainly not even a flop.

Pseudo myth = term used by fanboys when what they've "heard" hasn't happened to them?

I remember those PSC flares and yes it was a tree. I guess that's why they call them "crusher" flares?

Que "my friends-husband-cousin-who works in the industry rolled his jeep with brand X and they were just fine comments."

Last edited:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
... and don't get me wrong, I love the look of the PS flares. I just remember looking at the body lines after that "hit" and thinking how pissed off I would be.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Pseudo myth = term used by fanboys when what they've "heard" hasn't happened to them?

I remember those PSC flares and yes it was a tree. I guess that's why they call them "crusher" flares?

Que "my friends-husband-cousin-who works in the industry rolled his jeep with brand X and they were just fine comments."

It was just before Little Sluice and we noticed it at the top, right? I also remember thinking "how the hell did he do that?"

MTG

Caught the Bug
It was just before Little Sluice and we noticed it at the top, right? I also remember thinking "how the hell did he do that?"

That's what I recall. Still not sure what he did.

Agreed on the looks of them too. If I recall one of your favorite people with a yellow jeep hit his on JKX. Can't recall if there was any body damage, but what a bummer to have to repaint them after every run or so.

Top Bottom