Flat fenders

GutWrench

I would stay clear of the Nemesis ones. I actually like the look and their design offers easy cleaning, but they do not hold up to hits well.

You have damaged some Notorious Flares? Please tell! I was thinking about getting some of these! They have videos of them banging and scraping rocks and they appeared to hold up.

Jaydoc1

So if you've seen cut stock fenders used/abused on-trail, when they hit something, or even get caught by a tire, they flex and sometimes even get pulled off the body. The nice thing is that at that point they haven't been damaged themselves and and get pulled off before they damage the body/sheet metal of the JK. They can just be popped right back on.

The more rigid production flat fenders may damage the body/sheet metal of the JK because they don't give at all under impact. A good hit can damage the fenders themselves as well.

StrizzyChris

Will they flap a lot at highway speeds?

My fronts do, ever so slightly, move with the wind on the highway... but never what I would consider flapping and no noise with mine.

I have cut fenders they don't move on the a bit on the highway, I kept as much inner liner as possible to keep them strong and if you hit them on the trail they simply flex then pop back

Same here. My rears don't flap at all and I kept as much of the front bracing in place as I could to support them.

So if you've seen cut stock fenders used/abused on-trail, when they hit something, or even get caught by a tire, they flex and sometimes even get pulled off the body. The nice thing is that at that point they haven't been damaged themselves and and get pulled off before they damage the body/sheet metal of the JK. They can just be popped right back on.

^^^this^^^ I just had my rear fender ripped off by a boulder on the trail. No damage to the tub and only mild scuffing and damage to the fender as it folded like a taco and ripped off. The only thing broken were the clips holding the fender to the tub. Tony tossed me 7 clips to replace my broken ones and 2 minutes later I was on my way and no one can tell anything ever happened unless they look really close.

1403755050585.jpg

Dukes_of_C.Rock

Yep. I believe I will do the cutting route. I need to get a set off craigslist now. Thanks again everyone. The majority rules on the opinions.

You have damaged some Notorious Flares? Please tell! I was thinking about getting some of these! They have videos of them banging and scraping rocks and they appeared to hold up.

Their weakness is in the lower portion on the outside fold. I do not run these fenders but I was in a line of Jeeps with someone who does. We both knocked the same tree sliding off a rock in an off-camber moment. I had a little paint touch up to do and he bent the lip in. When he tried to pull it out the metal started to crack.

Someone told me they are now gusseting this fold to better support it but I have not seen any of these or talked to them so I don't know it that's true. If it is this point may but mute.

If you like the look, there is no denying cutting the stock flares is the way to go. I will add however that the "They will tear off with little to no body damage" comments really only apply to cut fenders. In their stock form, they WILL cause metal damage many times before they let go. It happened to me and I have seen it happen three other times as well.

As for the looks, I agree that it is all in taking your time. I have seen some that I thought looked REALLY good, and others that looked straight hillbilly. Oddly, While I hate painted fenders on JKs from the factory, I like the looks of them when cut. :thinking:

Edit to add I agree Strizzy's rig looks great!

Brankz

I have Poison Spyder Aluminum ones and really like them. I went with them because they include some bracing that ties them into the substructure and they don't just hang on the sheet metal. I have knocked them pretty hard on trees and they have held up well. There are a few other brands that have this but it is an option to add and they are not included. There are also some brands that just hang on the sheet metal and they will cause more damage than help when you hit them.

I would stay clear of the Nemesis ones. I actually like the look and their design offers easy cleaning, but they do not hold up to hits well.

I'm with you poison spider all the way I want to get a pair but I don't have 500 bucks to burn on fenders lol

2013CGJKU

Cut stock flares can look great if you do them right. Just tape em up and get a shape that you like and take your time.

1404997654000.jpg
1404997688440.jpg
1404997757869.jpg

Levi

2013 CG JKU 6-speed

DK'sJK

The down side to having flat fenders is all the extra space in the wheel well. I guess it comes down to your lift and tire size. Mine for instance 2.5" lift with 35's and now I want to go to 37's. 35's looked nice with the uncut stock fenders, but had the urge to tinker with the jeep.

Stegertime

Caught the Bug
I cut mine last weekend. I used a palm sander with fine grit sand paper to smooth out the edges. They turned out better than I expected. I figured it's a cheap mod. If I don't like it, I can buy new ones. Now, I'm going to keep them.

I'm liking this line of thought....I'm chopping mine now! :thumb:

SaddleTramp

I'm kinda curious as to what the color matched one look like cut to flatties, any one have those done up?

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1405056139.006766.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1405056162.192151.jpg

Not my rig but pictures of a buddies rig who did his a few weeks back. Turned out nice with a black edge where the cut was made.

There are a couple of other threads with more pics floating around here.

Tigereye10

Not my rig but pictures of a buddies rig who did his a few weeks back. Turned out nice with a black edge where the cut was made.

There are a couple of other threads with more pics floating around here.

Those don't look too bad, still not 100% sold on it yet, but it's still floating in the back of my head. Thanks :)

Top Bottom