FlatTop Build

Flat Top

Two 2 years after buying and installing the harness, wiring and camera for a backup cam I finally get the head unit flashed only by this time the camera is toast. :crazyeyes:

Ordered a new camera and after re-routing the cable and drilling thru the EVO fascia plate we have video. I'm about 1/4 inch too low so the back of the camera is hitting the rear cross member and is unable to completely set flush but the view is great. Very nice to be able to see what's on the other side of that 37...

BU_Cam1.jpg

BU_Cam2.jpg

Flat Top

Agreed on the tire shops, not sure what they're thinking. Happens to me every time as well. As far as your positive dealership experience, please add that to our dealership review section. https://wayalife.com/forumdisplay.php/120-Dealership-Reviews

If enough people share positive experiences at a specific shop, Eddie and Cindy may add it as a Wayalife preferred dealership.

Thanks for the reminder on the dealership reviews. It's only one trip but any information normally helps out.

Flat Top

New gears installed - 5:13's. Still babying them for the break-in but can already tell a difference, no downshifting on overpasses!

I also unpacked the EVO cage, this thing is solid. Still missing the C-Pillar Cross-member and grab handles. Hopefully they will ship early next week.

EVOCage.jpg

On a related note, packages from EVO are love/hate. I love that I'm getting new stuff but I absolutely dispise green packing peanuts now. These things will be floating around my garage for WEEKS and I'll be finding them down the street for the next few days.... :grayno:

Come ON Man!

Flat Top

Tires done on Saturday thanks to help from my buddy from Keller. Breaking down the old beads was hell until we figured out the trick, definitely easier as a 2 man job.

20170626_180431.jpg

So 5.13 and new shoes in 2 days. Still breaking in the new gears but so far I am loving them. Cruising @ 65 with very few downshifts for overpasses and the Jeep does not wind up during acceleration. :thumb:

Tires are great, it's nice to have wet traction again! Just a slight bit more road noise over the Nittos as has already been said. :thumb:

To Do:
Waiting on last 3 pieces of the EVO cage before sending out for PC.
Ordered ProGrips last week and waiting for shipping notice from Dynatrac.
Gear checkup and new Ten Factory rear axle shafts on Thursday (hopefully).

85 days and counting..... :rock:

Flat Top

Damit! Time to call Truk-Lite

20170710_202749.jpg

On a positive note, the EVO cage is painted (less the C-Pillar brace and grab handles). Now when to install, at least 2 weekends away.

20170710_202648.jpg

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Damit! Time to call Truk-Lite

On a positive note, the EVO cage is painted (less the C-Pillar brace and grab handles). Now when to install, at least 2 weekends away.

Have you checked your connections to the headlight?

Flat Top

Have you checked your connections to the headlight?

Yes, I have the Truk-Lite anti flicker harnesses as well so to verify what went bad I swapped headlights and checked all connections. The issue followed the headlamp and not the harness.

I had one go out early this year. They provided me great service on a replacement.

So far the response from Truk-Lite has been awesome. Less than 2 hours after sending them an e-mail about the failure I had a response verifying my shipping address stating they were processing the replacement shipment. :clap2:
Hopefully today since this is my DD.

Flat Top

Cage in less the grab handles. Fairly straight forward as long as you don't attempt this by yourself on a 95+ degree 90% humidity day in Houston in your driveway without shade... :crazyeyes:

In my haste to get get the Jeep put back together, I stripped one of the C-pillar nuts that is welded into that rear roll bar. I was trying to draw the new cross member down to meet the bar (don't do that). I also cross-threaded and broke one of the A-Pillar bolts (dumbass). I should have listened to Eddie in the install video recommending you run a tap through the support bars. I did not have one large enough so I figured what the worse that could happen. :grayno:

The only real issue I had with the entire cage setup itself was lining up the 2 bolt holes in center of the cage (6 if you count the front center bar, rear center bar and b-pillar reinforcement). Once I drilled the front center bars the rear center bar and b-pillar reinforcement did not align. Drilling chrome molly, even just ovaling/enlarging existing holes can be a PITA.

Eddie's install video was MORE THAN HELPFUL, IS WAS GREATLY APPRECIATED. The instructions downloaded from the EVO Manufacturing website are fairly detailed but as in anything else seeing the process done in a straightforward manner made the instruction read easier.

Stock Cage
StockCage.jpg

EVO
EVO_Cage.jpg

Edit: One addition item I did was lengthen the mic harness lead. It's a three wire connection (red/white/bare ground) that was easy lengthened. I never like the mic position on the driver pillar so I think I'm going to move it to the center of the windshield beneath the switch bank.
JeepMic.jpg

Last edited:

Flat Top

The EVO dash-bar was completely covering up my headlight sensor in the middle of the dash leading my headlight to always be ON when in auto mode. I was able to unbolt and rotate the dash-bar out enough to remove and pop out the sensor. I lifted straight up and was easily unplugged. There was enough slack to move it forward of the dash between the windshield and dash rubber and plug back in. Not perfect and it's just wedged in-between the dash and glass but it will work for now until I figure something else out.

I was able to re-install the dash-bar without marking up the paint. :thumb:

DashSensor.jpg

I also finally go the replacement Truk-Lite last Friday. They responded quickly but I would have appreciated a little faster shipping than UPS ground.

Top Bottom