Fox Racing Shox JK 2007-14, 2.0 Performance Series ATS Stabilizer - worth it?

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Hi Eddie, I was researching and found this thread and saw your response. As I respect your opinion I thought I would describe what has occurred and my mechanics recommendation and solicit a response from you!

I got the 5:13 gears installed, and requested the shop rotate tires while they had wheels off. After picking up Ruby last week I noticed steering wheel wobble that had not been there before. Obvious conclusion was one of rear wheels was not properly balanced.

So I took it into my off-road performance shop in town and they rebalanced both wheels, but noted they were out of round a little bit. The owner explained that bead lock rims have a "weakness" in getting tire perfectly centered. He suggested that if problem continued, going to the Fox AHS adjustable stabilizer. The owner took a look at the tracker bar, Pitman, and rest of setup(I had changed out both bolts to 9/16 grade 8 and retorqued to 125 ftlb)

Returning from shop the steering wheel wobble, most evident from 40-50MPH is still there. So I got on line and found lots of opinions, most positive, about the Fox product. I saw your comment on if the front end is properly set up you can run without the stabilizer, but if issue is with wheels? I have at least three quarters of tread left on the 35" Nitto grapplers. My profile has info on rest of vehicle setup.

I am looking for solution to the steering wheel wobble, but if it is as I though initially a problem with front wheels, the easy solution is switch the wheels back to rear of Ruby.

The question I have is, will the Fox stabilizer get rid of wobble to be able to continue to rotate wheels?

Not the famous death wobble, but annoying and I am a perfectionist (wife has another term for it)

Thanks in advance!!

Thanks in advance

The Fox ATS steering stabilizer will NOT cure the wobble you are experiencing, nor will any stabilizer for that matter.

I am running 37" Nittos on Slabs along with the Fox ATS and recently rotated the tires and got the exact same issue you are describing. Rebalanced and noticed the tires up front had a noticeable wobble on the balancer. Discount Tire Direct swapped out two tires for me and all is good now.

You could try breaking down the two front tires/wheels and rotating the tire 180* on the rim followed by a rebalance. Might help.

Good luck! Vibrations and wobbles drive me nuts so I know how ya feel!

Hammmerhead

Im running 40 15.50's and the stock stabilizer. I really don't need anything above the OEM, but sometimes when you hit a bad sunken strip of blacktop from heavy trucks, its all over the place and is a little scary for the wife when she is driving. Will I gain any less pull like this from a beefier SS? Im running 20X12 rims plus 1.5" spacers. Its a lot of tire and the rig is wide, just don't know if I will get any relief from a better SS. Prob just need to save for PSC setup.

tgoss

Im running 40 15.50's and the stock stabilizer. I really don't need anything above the OEM, but sometimes when you hit a bad sunken strip of blacktop from heavy trucks, its all over the place and is a little scary for the wife when she is driving. Will I gain any less pull like this from a beefier SS? Im running 20X12 rims plus 1.5" spacers. Its a lot of tire and the rig is wide, just don't know if I will get any relief from a better SS. Prob just need to save for PSC setup.

I think this would be a waste of $400 for you. I would put that towards a hydro system that your rig would actually significantly benefit from.

Top Bottom