Freedom top and doors leak

WJCO

Meme King
Over the last year I've had a small puddle on my front passenger floor mat after a rain.... This week the Drivers side started leaking as well... I added some rubber seal I had to the A-pillar and it seems to have fixed the problem.... We've had heavy rain all day and not one drop on the floors. I am going to find a better looking rubber and re-do it... but for now, it's working.

My jk8 still leaks like the titanic. I’ve tried every trick

Ours does it too. Just happy to drive Jeeps. #fuckthepriusevenifitdoesntleak.

JJ151

Damn. Seems like a lot of headache and hoops to jump through. Good luck.

Took like 5 min. Lol

If I lived in SoCal like you it wouldn’t be an issue. But here in Western Oregon it rains over 35” per year on average and is generally wet from October through June so a leaky hardtop is a pain especially since it’s my daily driver.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I can’t get mine to stop leaking. I’ve tried about every combo of rubber, foam, caulk. Can’t get the damn thing to stop.

TrailHunter

Hooked
If I lived in SoCal like you it wouldn’t be an issue. But here in Western Oregon it rains over 35” per year on average and is generally wet from October through June so a leaky hardtop is a pain especially since it’s my daily driver.

Good point.. we only have 2 seasons here. Summer & Drizzle. [emoji51]

JAGS

Hooked
My soft top started leaking last winter. Seems to leak the worst when parked at hm in our slanted driveway. Leaks a bit at the A, B pillars and rear of the back door where the ST frame is.

On the New Years run, parked on the flat lot at the hotel, didn’t leak. And that was decent rain overnight. Crazy shit.

Might look at adding some weather stripping. Or maybe just sell it and have the new owner do it. [emoji6]

Shadow's_Jeep

Caught the Bug
Over the last year I've had a small puddle on my front passenger floor mat after a rain.... This week the Drivers side started leaking as well... I added some rubber seal I had to the A-pillar and it seems to have fixed the problem.... We've had heavy rain all day and not one drop on the floors. I am going to find a better looking rubber and re-do it... but for now, it's working.

View attachment 319068
I've had a leak at my A Pillar on the driver side the past two years, so after seeing this post. I went too the auto parts store and found this single bead rubber seal to give it a try. 20190115_163559.jpg 20190115_163828.jpg

His: 2009 Wrangler Unlimited X
3.8- 6 Speed Manual
Her's: 2016 Renegade Latitude
2.4,9 Speed Automatic.

TrailHunter

Hooked
I've had a leak at my A Pillar on the driver side the past two years, so after seeing this post. I went too the auto parts store and found this single bead rubber seal to give it a try.

Cool... hope it works... if not, try bringing the weatherstripping a little lower... more over that rubber section near where you stopped it... If mine leaks again, I plan to redo it so it continues all the way to the bottom of the door. Basically I am trying to create a dam that keeps the water from sneaking inward towards the interior.

jeeeep

Hooked
if the 3piece top is leaking at the center handle and you're still using the targa top mounting knobs, make sure they are not too tight.

When they are too tight they cause the front of the tops to lift just enough to let it leak across the front edge.

These knobs:

Mopar-1CJ57DX9AD-Targa-Top-Mounting-Knob.jpg

I've also been fighting a passenger side leak that I found was coming thru the lower side floor panel mounting tabs. The push pins have a foam backing with a sticky backing to the metal but came off when I pulled the panel off to run wiring along the floor. No issue on light rain days but on heavy rain days, it let in enough water to fill the front passenger and flow over to the rear passenger.

It's been driving me crazy trying to locate the leak but I sat in the Jeep during a heavy storm and could see the stream of water coming from that mounting hole.
I put some silicon on the push pin to seal it up, no more leak. I was surprised how much water and how quickly it was coming in thru that push pin hole.

kep01

Were having the same problem with ours. This didn’t start until the Jeep spent the summer with the top and doors off. Now when it rains I have to shop vac out water the next day. Good news is I sat in it the other night in the rain and watched where it’s coming in around the doors

bmkrinne

Were having the same problem with ours. This didn’t start until the Jeep spent the summer with the top and doors off. Now when it rains I have to shop vac out water the next day. Good news is I sat in it the other night in the rain and watched where it’s coming in around the doors

Where is it coming in on yours?

bmkrinne

if the 3piece top is leaking at the center handle and you're still using the targa top mounting knobs, make sure they are not too tight.

When they are too tight they cause the front of the tops to lift just enough to let it leak across the front edge.

These knobs:

View attachment 319164

I've also been fighting a passenger side leak that I found was coming thru the lower side floor panel mounting tabs. The push pins have a foam backing with a sticky backing to the metal but came off when I pulled the panel off to run wiring along the floor. No issue on light rain days but on heavy rain days, it let in enough water to fill the front passenger and flow over to the rear passenger.

It's been driving me crazy trying to locate the leak but I sat in the Jeep during a heavy storm and could see the stream of water coming from that mounting hole.
I put some silicon on the push pin to seal it up, no more leak. I was surprised how much water and how quickly it was coming in thru that push pin hole.

Can you post a picture of the push pin location, please? Thanks!

longarmwj

Mine leaks on the front corner of the drivers side door. In a drunken mess one night i decided to run silicon on the weather stripping.....except i missed the weather stripping and it looks like a three year old smeared petroleum jelly all over the door frame.....gotta love tequila.

Oh! And it still leaks.

Top Bottom