Front Axle Options

What size tires are you running? Sounds like you’ve got a pretty well set up front end already. Looks like maybe you have some inner C gussets as well? I’m going to step up to 37s on my next time around, and I plan on maybe welding some home made trusses and stiffeners on the stock rubicon axle housing and saving my money for 60s down the road. The desire for full floats creeps up on you...

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Im currently on 37s and do have the gussets done. I’ve read mixed things on trusses so I’d personally skip those and just wait for tons. That trip i did to Moab last month really made the itch for tons strong.

There was two small tears in the metal close to the bolt head. I wound up having the holes welded closed for the time being since some other expenses came up.

Im currently on 37s and do have the gussets done. I’ve read mixed things on trusses so I’d personally skip those and just wait for tons. That trip i did to Moab last month really made the itch for tons strong.

Yea if you have a buddy who can do the work or just practice a little with a 110 mig welder, you can definitely just keep adding steel to your stock axle housing to keep it alive haha. Don’t get me wrong, the PR44 sounds awesome if you got the coin to upgrade incrementally.
What are the negatives about trusses? Just curious. I have a coworker who’s been running 37” Toyos for years on his stock rubicon axles and his front passenger tube is visibly bent up. Another friend of mine also spun his rear diff last year trying to bump his way up Cleveland rock on 38s. Seems like a little truss action would be a perfect solution.

Yea if you have a buddy who can do the work or just practice a little with a 110 mig welder, you can definitely just keep adding steel to your stock axle housing to keep it alive haha. Don’t get me wrong, the PR44 sounds awesome if you got the coin to upgrade incrementally.
What are the negatives about trusses? Just curious. I have a coworker who’s been running 37” Toyos for years on his stock rubicon axles and his front passenger tube is visibly bent up. Another friend of mine also spun his rear diff last year trying to bump his way up Cleveland rock on 38s. Seems like a little truss action would be a perfect solution.

That’s what ended up happening. I’ll keep an eye out after every outing, so I think I’ve gained some time.

IIRC if the welding isn’t done right the housing can warp. I’ve thought about getting one done as well but ima try and take it easy until I can afford axles.

That’s what ended up happening. I’ll keep an eye out after every outing, so I think I’ve gained some time.

IIRC if the welding isn’t done right the housing can warp. I’ve thought about getting one done as well but ima try and take it easy until I can afford axles.

Ah gotchya. Yea I could see where you’d have to jump around with the heat input.

14ACES

I trussed my stock rubicon axles along with c gussets, and lower control arm skids. I went with Artec for the truss. I know my upgrades don’t replace having tons. But so far its has held up to everything I have thrown at all while wheeling with 39’s. If done properly a truss is cheap insurance.

I trussed my stock rubicon axles along with c gussets, and lower control arm skids. I went with Artec for the truss. I know my upgrades don’t replace having tons. But so far its has held up to everything I have thrown at all while wheeling with 39’s. If done properly a truss is cheap insurance.

Word. Thanks for the experience. Sounds like an accurate forecast for my future...It looks like you’re stock lockers have held up so far as well. And you and I both have a ‘16, so your axles have been beaten as long as mine haha.

14ACES

Word. Thanks for the experience. Sounds like an accurate forecast for my future...It looks like you’re stock lockers have held up so far as well. And you and I both have a ‘16, so your axles have been beaten as long as mine haha.

Everything has held up. It doesn’t take the place if a well build 1 ton axle. And when they finally give me grief I will upgrade the axles.

wjtstudios

Hooked

Everything has held up. It doesn’t take the place if a well build 1 ton axle. And when they finally give me grief I will upgrade the axles.

Even though my first set of upgraded axles were 60s, they still had OEM front unit bearings. They were the weak link in the assembly and I had to replace them ever year after a lot of abuse on the trail. Just keep checking them as they get used for play.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Top Bottom