Front axle shaft question

nbunga

Caught the Bug
So if I have a front axle shaft u-joint go bad I should be able to pull it take it apart just put the outer shaft in and run that way till I get a replacement right

Sitting at a loves truck stop in Burlington, CO. No spare u joint of course

CalSgt

Hooked
So if I have a front axle shaft u-joint go bad I should be able to pull it take it apart just put the outer shaft in and run that way till I get a replacement right

Sitting at a loves truck stop in Burlington, CO. No spare u joint of course

I think with no inner shaft you could puke your diff fluid out through the axle tube, not totally sure on that.

Might have better luck just pulling the outer piece, there's another thread where someone ran without the stub shaft.

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/60326-Adjustable-ball-joints-JL

nbunga

Caught the Bug
I think with no inner shaft you could puke your diff fluid out through the axle tube, not totally sure on that.

Might have better luck just pulling the outer piece, there's another thread where someone ran without the stub shaft.

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/60326-Adjustable-ball-joints-JL

I thought about that. I shoved a towel down the tube hoping that would keep anything in there but I got everything back together and I’m getting ready to hit the road now so we’ll see.

Only about 1000 miles til home. [emoji51]

wjtstudios

Hooked
Damn that sucks Andy. I would try baddestcross’s tennis ball idea to keep the fluid in and then keep checking the fluid level at gas stops.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

bmkrinne

That totally stinks, Andy. Optional path would be to pull both front axle shafts and remove the front drive shaft for additional insurance. At this point your front diff will be out of play and oil level will not matter.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

zimm

Caught the Bug
I guess that cool EVO shift knob/axle hole plug "SBS" isn't made anymore? I thought I found new gizmo to buy.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Just pull the entire shaft and stuff something in the end of the tube. I have used wadded up grocery bags before. You will be able to drive home like that. The tighter the fit the less leakage you will have.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jdofmemi

Sucks you had more trouble on the way home.

As above, just stuff something in the tube to keep the oil in. Rag, tennis ball, whatever you can find.

I've drove 300+ miles home like that. 1,000 should be no problem.

Safe travels my friend.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
You can pull the whole shaft if you haven’t. No need to put the stub shaft back in.

Edit: I guess this is almost a day old. Hopefully you aren’t still sitting at the truck stop. lol

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

nbunga

Caught the Bug
Well I ended up having to pull both shafts. Right after I put my tools away I checked the passenger side and it was missing a cap. Plugged the tubes with some cloth face masks I grabbed from the airport. Made the rest of the trip fairly uneventful. Guess it’s time for an upgrade.

jesse3638

Hooked
Well I ended up having to pull both shafts. Right after I put my tools away I checked the passenger side and it was missing a cap. Plugged the tubes with some cloth face masks I grabbed from the airport. Made the rest of the trip fairly uneventful. Guess it’s time for an upgrade.
Glad you found a good use for masks!..haha

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom