Front DANA 60 axle swap

Army_Vet

Banned
Ok then.... Most of the "wear items" on a junkyard axle are shot.... Believe me, I though I could get away with keeping the old ones, and I couldn't... And a new axle would come with new wear items, so I don't see why that doesn't matter..

As for the locker, if you don't want one, you are still paying for an open carrier.. Something has to hold the gears, so why not make it what you want.

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

so if i bought an axle with the wrong ratio and i needed to change the gears; i need to purchase a new carrier too?

Now like i have said, its just an opinion on how things need to be worded.

and then again my thoughts on a JY 60 swap is; the person doing it would be doing the bulk of the work, not dropping off at a shop and paying for someone else to do it.

David1tontj

so if i bought an axle with the wrong ratio and i needed to change the gears; i need to purchase a new carrier too?

Now like i have said, its just an opinion on how things need to be worded.

and then again my thoughts on a JY 60 swap is; the person doing it would be doing the bulk of the work, not dropping off at a shop and paying for someone else to do it.

Ok, it doesn't matter what your junkyard axle comes with... The total price to make it what you need... And replace the worn out parts on an axle that's at least 20 years old ends up being close to the same as a new axle.

For example: the new axle is 100% new..
The old axle NEEDS all new "wear items" to be on the same level as the other axle..

As far as the locker goes... He wants one! Doesn't matter what axle he pays to put it in, he needs it in the list..
**(I am assuming his price for the new axle already includes a locker)**

** this is the part I think we are disagreeing about.

Army_Vet

Banned
Ok, it doesn't matter what your junkyard axle comes with... The total price to make it what you need... And replace the worn out parts on an axle that's at least 20 years old ends up being close to the same as a new axle.

For example: the new axle is 100% new..
The old axle NEEDS all new "wear items" to be on the same level as the other axle..

As far as the locker goes... He wants one! Doesn't matter what axle he pays to put it in, he needs it in the list..
**(I am assuming his price for the new axle already includes a locker)**

** this is the part I think we are disagreeing about.

Again.... when I hear a person wanting to do the JY swap, my assumption is that the bulk of any work will be done by the owner. assume a JY axle runs you 1k.... there is no way you will need 7k in parts to make it brand new. Im sure the DIY'er will need some shop support, which will add cost.
Now if you're paying a shop to make it brand new then your point of view is valid.

CRAZYCASEY

JK's JK said:
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?10303-Junkyard-axle-swap&highlight=dana+junk+yard This is what I found about the topic that has already been brought up. Junk yard axle swaps are not easy. They also are not cheap. Just in the front Dana 60 Ihave: Junk yard axle: $800 Gears n such 300 Machine knuckle and add high steer arm $350 Locker $600 New ball joints $200 Custom tie rod $200 New break pads and turn rotors $100 Brackets $500 Have the front unit bearings milled for 35 spline axles $200 35 spline outer stub shafts$ 300 Drive flanges or warn hubs $250 About $3800 in parts and 40 or so hours of labor. I may have left something out but thats close. It's amazing all of the little problems you run into. Just having to move the frame side track bar forward 1.5 inches is a real pain when you have already spent 35 hours working, cutting, grinding and welding. If you are not capable of doing it yourself I'm sure a shop would charge 80 bucks an hour it might only take them 30 hours but that's another 2400 bucks. Look for a rubicon take off axle and save some $$$ not to mention you can do the swap in your garage in about 3 hours. Oh did I mention I also had to buy new wheels....

Just a little update on my front axle quoted above. I have been running it for 18 months now and it has held up great. I have had a few additional expenses in that time. First I have had issues with my tie rod and PSC ram. I had run the ram off of the axle housing to the tie rod. Bending the tie rod upwards on rocks while trying to turn can cause the ram shaft to bend. I went through 2 rams before I figured out that this is what was causing the issue. I also bent the ram mounts once and had to build a stronger set up. I have since added a drivers side high steer arm and changed the ram mount to run the ram off of the knuckle this also allowed me to move the tie rod up a couple of inches but required me to build a very beefy skid plate for the ram. I have spent another 600$ and a 15 or so hours doing this.

I will say this again If you can't do it yourself or don't want to spend the time doing the work buy a built axle. I'm starting a build on a TJ for my son this spring and I'm on the fence weather to build or buy. I will probably build so he can learn how to do everything but if it were mine I'd be headed to my favorite local shop to order something I could bolt in!

Top Bottom