Front drive shaft break at 75 mph

thechrisjones

I think all of you are right the U-bolt probably wasn't torqued enough and I know locktite wasn't used. People make miskakes and I learned from this one, but the reason I posted this was for ADVICE for steps going forward with getting it fixed. Example, should I take it to the dealer or would that be a big NO because there is a good chance they may flag my jeep! Or others like big dr saying check the drive shaft to make sure it's not bent before putting it back on, AJ giving ADVICE such as using a paint pen, and wayoflife calling out the use of locktite. I could care less about comments such as OverlanderJK because they useless! But I do thank the other members for their advice and there stories about their mechanic doing something stupid as well. It nice to know I'm not the only one :)

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I think all of you are right the U-bolt probably wasn't torqued enough and I know locktite wasn't used. People make miskakes and I learned from this one, but the reason I posted this was for ADVICE for steps going forward with getting it fixed. Example, should I take it to the dealer or would that be a big NO because there is a good chance they may flag my jeep! Or others like big dr saying check the drive shaft to make sure it's not bent before putting it back on, AJ giving ADVICE such as using a paint pen, and wayoflife calling out the use of locktite. I could care less about comments such as OverlanderJK because they useless! But I do thank the other members for their advice and there stories about their mechanic doing something stupid as well. It nice to know I'm not the only one :)

You're welcome for being the first one to tell you it was installed wrong. Funny how you didn't like my comment but accepted the same comment from others.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Ah I now remember who you are. This is why you didn't like my response. Too funny! :cheesy:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=26921

So I just bought a 2015 jeep JKU hard rock and wanted to lift my jeep the right way. My friend told me the best way is to learn from others mistakes and to join this forum. I've used this forum for the past 4 months for advise with my build. I got lots for great advice from many members. I've bought a few things though members on this site as well. After reading how sensitive you guys were in the northridge winch give a way I'm sure glad I didn't write a review for a chance win even though a did learned about northridge via this website and spent over $7,000 dollars with them since December 2014. I'm very thankful for this forum. I will also say I have never asked for any freebies. I have a job that supports my hobbies. I feel people get scrutinized very quickly if you don't follow the proper steps when joining this forum. I've recently Found out there is a section in the forum called give us a wave. I never knew about this (I take this is my first strike 1). I also came across a forum topic with a zero.com promo for a winch of which I was and still am In the market to buy one and apparently me asking about the next time the next promo maybe be raised red flags (my strike 2). So before I become black balled on this forum will you guys tell me what else I'm doing wrong so I don't look like some jackass that members like to call out so quickly!?! Thanks for the feedback.

You're too much of a pussy I think.

thechrisjones

The only thing I learn from your post is that you an arrogant ass with nothing to say unless it's negative. Learn how to read then go back and reread the last three sentences of my post. You didn't answer my question you just rambled on bashing the person that lifted my truck, the fact he worked for snap on and how your Mr. badass and have gone thru many drive shafts... Well good for you! I really think you need to get a life bro. You respond way to quickly to post! South Cal has a lot of other things to do rather than posting on this forum 24/7.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
The only thing I learn from your post is that you an arrogant ass with nothing to say unless it's negative. Learn how to read then go back and reread the last three sentences of my post. You didn't answer my question you just rambled on bashing the person that lifted my truck, the fact he worked for snap on and how your Mr. badass and have gone thru many drive shafts... Well good for you! I really think you need to get a life bro. You respond way to quickly to post! South Cal has a lot of other things to do rather than posting on this forum 24/7.

It's a jeep not a truck.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Only when jack offs like overlandJK gets involved.

So that really doesn't answer my question does it? What I saw was he actually diagnosed your problem but because it came from him, it fell upon deaf ears.

As far as the bad ass comment because he's broken many shafts that sounds like experience in my book. However looks like you choose to see it another way.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I will quote the following to show you how I responded for the first time.

You probably didn't tighten it all the way or have it aligned properly when you bolted it on.

To which you responded that you have this badass friend that knows all and didn't install anything wrong.

Coast drive shaft.... I've put more the 4k miles on it with no problems. No vibrations or anything. One of the head mechanics at the jeep dealership is a friend of the family and we put the lift on together. He used to own a snap on truck run and has a garage shop behind his house with lift and all... He builds trucks and motorcycles from the ground up as a hobby, I feel like he has the experience

To which I responded making fun of you and him. You responded, blah blah blah.

Other people responded and told you it was installed wrong. To which you responded with the following,

So tell me again how I started with your friend is an idiot?

thechrisjones

So that really doesn't answer my question does it? What I saw was he actually diagnosed your problem but because it came from him, it fell upon deaf ears.

As far as the bad ass comment because he's broken many shafts that sounds like experience in my book. However looks like you choose to see it another way.

I didn't have a problem with his first comment on the U-bolts not torqued correctly. It was the bullshit after that I could careless to hear. My original post didn't ask how it happened. I know what happened I asked how to handle it. It's very simple. Your guys have a good rest of your day!
Cheers

JAGS

Hooked
You probably didn't tighten it all the way or have it aligned properly when you bolted it on.

Spot on.

Coast drive shaft.... I've put more the 4k miles on it with no problems. No vibrations or anything. One of the head mechanics at the jeep dealership is a friend of the family and we put the lift on together. He used to own a snap on truck run and has a garage shop behind his house with lift and all... He builds trucks and motorcycles from the ground up as a hobby, I feel like he has the experience

And the point being????

Cool story. Why post and ask for advice then? Why not ask the all mighty snap on truck owning mechanic?

Statement/opinion made. Relevant question asked.

I've broken a few driveshafts but carry on.

Fact relevant to situation.

I'm not fully understanding the sensitivities here. Just because we all respond differently doesn't mean anything. Overlander hit the nail on the head and you chose to dismiss it. So you still ignore he was right and you choose to thank others?? I'm confused.

I'd also like to add that for Overlander he might as well bring an ice cream Sunday along with as nice as he was in first commenting here.

If you thought that was arrogant or an ass, you are mistaken.

thechrisjones

I believe you two are missing the main point here. This guy owned a snap on truck! :eek:

Cool story. Why post and ask for advice then? Why not ask the all mighty snap on truck owning mechanic?

You must have over looked these... And for the final time I didn't ask what happened... I asked for advice for getting it fixed.... Crazy Eye... Read my fucking first post! Last three sentences! WTF bro!?!

JAGS

Hooked
I didn't have a problem with his first comment on the U-bolts not torqued correctly. It was the bullshit after that I could careless to hear. My original post didn't ask how it happened. I know what happened I asked how to handle it. It's very simple. Your guys have a good rest of your day!
Cheers

What?? When the facts are in black and white you can't change the story. Where below did you state that the u-bolt wasn't torqued and the locktite wasn't used. You had no clue and later said you trusted the experience of the installer, eluding that it couldn't be install error. This must be the shaft right? Also where below did you ask what to do next??? And next after what exactly??

You didn't. You said "does anyone have advice." That's an open ended question on the entirety of you post on broken DS.

To which several folks responded based on their experiences. Of which some have much more than others.

You are being far to sensitive, especially considering who was right and wrong in this thread. If you don't like Overlander, fine. But don't make this a battle on something that isn't there.

Well I finished my build took it out Sunday on some trails and left feeling good nothing broke.... Then about 40 miles in on the drive back home at around 75 MPH u-joint breaks at the front drive shaft and the transfer case! $250 dollars later I got it towed to the house. Take off the front drive shaft and the only damage I see is the 4 wheel drive cable and bracket is broken, exhaust manifold has a nice dent, heat protecter is twisted up pretty good, the insulation is tore up and my floor board is raised about 4 inches higher. I got a rubber mallet and beat the floor back down. I'm going to order a new bracket and 4 wheel drive cable and install it myself then thinking about taking it to the dealer and let them do an inspection. Does anyone have any advice? I drove it to the car wash today and it seems to drive fine.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
You must have over looked these... And for the final time I didn't ask what happened... I asked for advice for getting it fixed.... Crazy Eye... Read my fucking first post! Last three sentences! WTF bro!?!

Those were my last posts in this there dumbass.

And for the last time, if something isn't tightened enough the first time, fucking tighten it the second time! Wtf bro!?!

thechrisjones

Others told me what I should do going forward... Those are the ones that know how to read and process a question then answer. And I thanked them... It's that simple!

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Others told me what I should do going forward... Those are the ones that know how to read and process a question then answer. And I thanked them... It's that simple!

Seriously? Are you that fucking stupid?

If you get arrested for drunk driving do you really need someone to tell you how to not get arrested again?

Same for your bullshit question. Your shit wasn't torqued properly. How do you fix it? Torque it properly!

JAGS

Hooked
For what it's worth, I probably wouldn't re-use that shaft. To have it completely rebuilt and balanced could be as much as a new one. But that's just me.

Just to have my CVs replaced and balanced was more than I thought.

And, Overlander is right again, lol, tighten that shit next time or take it to a quality driveline shop for a decent install.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
For what it's worth, I probably wouldn't re-use that shaft. To have it completely rebuilt and balanced could be as much as a new one. But that's just me.

Just to have my CVs replaced and balanced was more than I thought.

And, Overlander is right again, lol, tighten that shit next time or take it to a quality driveline shop for a decent install.

Most shops rebalance for like $60. I would have no issues running that shaft again. But he might need someone else to tell him that.

JAGS

Hooked
Most shops rebalance for like $60. I would have no issues running that shaft again. But he might need someone else to tell him that.

Lol.

Ok, from the pics it looked like other shit broke when it snapped the u-bolts and spun free. Yeah, $60 for the balance is correct.

Oops. I mean screw you for giving the right balance fees. 😡😡 ha ha.

Top Bottom