Front or rear lockers?

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Yeah locker and all components besides gearing. I thought it was a bit high also.. How hard is the install? Is this something I could manage on my own?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE! B-l2ab!

Based on my personal experience in building sports cars, in my opinion, if you are asking this question I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself. Diffs are sensitive things and I generally wouldn't want to mess with it. I am fairly mechanically inclined including tearing and installing motors and I don't mess with transmissions and differentials.

B-rab

Based on my personal experience in building sports cars, in my opinion, if you are asking this question I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself. Diffs are sensitive things and I generally wouldn't want to mess with it. I am fairly mechanically inclined including tearing and installing motors and I don't mess with transmissions and differentials.

Yeah I feel the same way lol.. I did all my work on my mustangs but when it came to my 4.10 gears installed I went to the professionals.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE! B-l2ab!

1yellowjk

depends on the locker, lunch box style can normally be done in the home garage. Depending on what you have now will dictate what needs to be done, that being said I will NEVER attempt gears/diff work on my JK and I NEVER pay for installs. :)

Emptybrass

I said the same thing a few years ago. Then it started with a gear change then a traction lock rebuild then a complete rear end setup. My advice is get the right tools do some reading or YouTube watching and get some help. My opinion is differentials are pretty basic but scary if the only thing you have ever done is a fluid change. You will be ok

Emptybrass

Also a reputable 4x4 shop has always told me that a selectable locker belongs in the front and a LSD in the rear.

This is my first jeep so don't flame me. I am going to put a eaton Elocker in my rear

Devallee

Side question here but has anybody seen a jeep with a permanently locked rear? Sort of like a prerunner setup? Just curious. I know it probably wouldn't be the best on a DD but what would be the positives/negatives to being locked on the trail at all times? Is there a time when you would actually want or need to be unlocked vs locked? Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question but I'm just curious

Emptybrass

I still new here and to the jeep club but unless you trail ride 95% of the time a spool would be a bad idea. Parking lots will be much harder to maneuver, tires chirping when taking stop sing turns. Will wear your tires much faster. Cops around here don't like squealing tire noises and will pull you over, even if you didn't do anything. Try explaining to them what a spool is:-/

Devallee

I still new here and to the jeep club but unless you trail ride 95% of the time a spool would be a bad idea. Parking lots will be much harder to maneuver, tires chirping when taking stop sing turns. Will wear your tires much faster. Cops around here don't like squealing tire noises and will pull you over, even if you didn't do anything. Try explaining to them what a spool is:-/

What if it was just a trail rig? I was wondering if there would be a downside to being locked the whole time on the trail. I know it wouldn't be something you wanna drive on the street that would be annoying haha

Emptybrass

I'm sure others with more experience can chime in but again with tight turns on the trail and wheels moving at different speeds it might be a problem. I could see how it may hurt you as we'll if you have 1 tire with a good grip and the other trying to find something spinning and losing the good grip. I would look at a Detroit or other type of tooth style locker.

Rob

Also a reputable 4x4 shop has always told me that a selectable locker belongs in the front and a LSD in the rear.

This is my first jeep so don't flame me. I am going to put a eaton Elocker in my rear

I would prefer an auto-locker over a limited-slip in the rear if I were going to go non selectable. I really dont like the way auto lockers push when your on slick surfaces (like ice/snow) and limited slips are pretty useless on the rocks so Id much rather have selectable over either. I think your making a better choice. Not sure about the reliability of the Eaton as I have no experience with them.

Top Bottom