Frustrated!!

jeeeep

Hooked
I recently bought a 2010 Wrangler JKU in Ohio. Took it to a local Jeep dealer to get inspected in my home state of Pennsylvania. The dealer says I need $2000 worth of work. The rear brakes and rotors are “falling apart”, E-brake pads, ball joints, and axel joints all need replaced to pass the state inspection. Since I purchased a vehicle a month ago, I called the dealer and Ohio. He doubted that all of that actually need it done. So they picked up the jeep and took it back to Ohio.
The Ohio guy calls me and tells me I’ve been duped. The rear brakes were fine at 6:32 of an inch. The rotors were fine as well. The ball joints we’re OK. They are replacing one of the axle joints and the E brake pads. Then he says he’ll take it across the border and have it inspected for me before returning it.
Now on one hand I’m glad they are taking care of the work and getting it inspected for me. On the other hand I don’t know which dealer to believe? Is my local guy trying to rip me off because he knew I bought it out of state or is the Ohio guy just trying to get out of replacing some parts that are borderline?
Obviously I need a safe vehicle But being a very novice mechanic myself I wouldn’t know Which parts are bad to look at them. Very frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

you have one dealer (the one you bought it from) that wants to save costs yet keep you happy and the home dealer that wants to make a profit.

brake pads are always replaced in pairs, front or rear (both sides at the same time). since you had worn e-brake, the shop would want to charge you to replace all components on both sides since they already had them torn apart = $$$. This happens at every single brake job I've ever dealt with, which is why I do them myself.

Same with axle joints - willing to bet they figured may as well take care of ball joints since it would need to be taken apart that far to deal with the axle u-joint.

You don't need to be a mechanic, but you should educate yourself on what these type parts actually look like when worn. next time you take it in for worn out brake pads they will inform you that you should turn the rotors and replace parts not actually needing replacement but they look good to show on a bill = $$$ as if they did a lot of work.

If you can't tell what is really needed, they'll just tell you it needs it.

You don’t need to learn everything and buy 100 grand of snap on tools. You just need enough knowledge to call bullshit. For instance, does the vehicle brake well and not make noises? Then it doesn’t need all new everything. For the e brake if you’re driving in a parking lot and pull the lever does it come to a stop in a reasonable distance? Axle and driveshaft joints shouldn’t have play, and you can learn to check that pretty easily and crawl under to see it. And my favorite way of all, at least if you’re using a mechanic and not doing it yourself, when they tell you what’s wrong say “ok cool, can you show me?” Take a walk out under the lift and they’ll point it out and show you the play in a joint or they can show you a worn out brake pad etc. Make local Jeep friends, you’ll learn lots.

zimm

Caught the Bug
First off, kudos to the first dealership. I can't believe they took the jeep back and did all the work. Lucky for you.

Second, avoid that local dealership. Jeeps are so simple to work on, find an independent shop. Ask around, or check out yelp and angie's list.

If you're not sure how to check your brake pads, your not a "novice mechanic". I would say you're starting at ground zero. Once you see where to look, it's very easy. When brake pad material is as thin as the backing plate, time for new brakes.

On any used vehicle, and especially a Jeep, the next thing you should be planning is to change all fluids (engine oil, transfer case, axles). Air and cabin filters. On a 2010, it's a good idea to flush the brake fluid too.

Check the back of the serpentine belt on the engine to see if there any cracks going across the ribs.

There are write ups and videos on how to do all of that if you poke around.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Sorry you didn’t like my answer, but truth be told, there’s a lot more to owning a Wrangler than driving around with the top down on the weekends. Buying new and keeping it on the street will minimize the need for extensive maintenance...

^^^^ You have to be prepared to spend a little money. If you can’t buy a new one, you’re going to spend some, either paying mechanics, or buying tools to do it yourself.

Oversized tires, and the wheels required to run them, put a lot of stress on brakes, ball joints, and bearings, even if you only run on pavement.

I learned that here. I also learned how to replace all of those parts, here. It was all done in my driveway, by me (a pharmacist). Buy what tools you need, or rent them. I actually enjoy working on them, and I’m by no means, a mechanic.

Gadget

Caught the Bug
Keep in mind that tools are an investment not an expense, you don’t have to buy them all at once, just pick up a few here and there as you need. Lot of information on here about good brands so ask away.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

jamo922

First off, kudos to the first dealership. I can't believe they took the jeep back and did all the work. Lucky for you.

Second, avoid that local dealership. Jeeps are so simple to work on, find an independent shop. Ask around, or check out yelp and angie's list.

If you're not sure how to check your brake pads, your not a "novice mechanic". I would say you're starting at ground zero. Once you see where to look, it's very easy. When brake pad material is as thin as the backing plate, time for new brakes.

On any used vehicle, and especially a Jeep, the next thing you should be planning is to change all fluids (engine oil, transfer case, axles). Air and cabin filters. On a 2010, it's a good idea to flush the brake fluid too.

Check the back of the serpentine belt on the engine to see if there any cracks going across the ribs.

There are write ups and videos on how to do all of that if you poke around.

I do know how to check brakes. But since I just bought the vehicle I mistakingly assumed the dealership sold it in safe working condition. If they tell me the brakes are bad, fine I can Handle that. But ball joints and axel joints would be a big job for me which I’m willing to does well. Unfortunately I need to drive the thing and can’t have it up on jacks for two days while I goof my way through the job. Also I can’t be driving it around PA without the inspection sticker or the cops are sure to snag me.

jamo922

Thanks for all the advice. Sorry I was a bit salty at first. Just annoyed by my own lack of knowledge and ability to determine what exactly needed repaired. I’m thankful the dealer I bought from was willing to make things right. I’m going to take this rig one job at a time and get the tools I need as I go. Although some jobs like ball joints look overwhelming, I’m sure I can get them done safely and correctly. I appreciate all your input!

Judesign

Caught the Bug
That’s the right attitude. We’ve all been new to turning wrenches. I swear your first set of ball joints is a fucking right of passage. You’ll invent cuss words. But in the end it will be worth it and you won’t get screwed over as much.

jesse3638

Hooked
Keep in mind that tools are an investment not an expense, you don’t have to buy them all at once, just pick up a few here and there as you need. Lot of information on here about good brands so ask away.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app
A friend and general contractor have me some advice that his dad, also a GC, gave him. He said everytime you have a project buy a new tool or two you will need. I've followed that for the last several years and now have quite an extensive tool collection, both mechanic's and home improvement. Definitely takes the sting off. Black Friday at most big box stores are a great place to find deals on a comprehensive mechanic's tool kit.
Thanks for all the advice. Sorry I was a bit salty at first. Just annoyed by my own lack of knowledge and ability to determine what exactly needed repaired. I’m thankful the dealer I bought from was willing to make things right. I’m going to take this rig one job at a time and get the tools I need as I go. Although some jobs like ball joints look overwhelming, I’m sure I can get them done safely and correctly. I appreciate all your input!

Growing up we were forced to learn how to do more with less as we did not have a lot of money. I attribute my desire to fix everything myself from my dad. He was always learning and figuring out ways to fix things himself. I remember our old wooden garage door basically fell apart. He used a couple strategically placed ratchet straps, some wooden gussets, screws, and adjusting the tensioning rods with me pushing, pulling, or holding this or that and fixed it. By the time I was 13-14 years old I was building full scale skate ramps (curved transitions, not wood propped on blocks..haha), rebuilding small engines and trying to get old dirt bikes running. It was so much better than video games..haha. Being 37 now, highering, and working with a lot of kids out of high school, the lack of mechanical aptitude is crazy. Not trying to knock you just saying its never too late to learn if you have the desire. Learn all you can and have fun.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

jamo922

A friend and general contractor have me some advice that his dad, also a GC, gave him. He said everytime you have a project buy a new tool or two you will need. I've followed that for the last several years and now have quite an extensive tool collection, both mechanic's and home improvement. Definitely takes the sting off. Black Friday at most big box stores are a great place to find deals on a comprehensive mechanic's tool kit.

Growing up we were forced to learn how to do more with less as we did not have a lot of money. I attribute my desire to fix everything myself from my dad. He was always learning and figuring out ways to fix things himself. I remember our old wooden garage door basically fell apart. He used a couple strategically placed ratchet straps, some wooden gussets, screws, and adjusting the tensioning rods with me pushing, pulling, or holding this or that and fixed it. By the time I was 13-14 years old I was building full scale skate ramps (curved transitions, not wood propped on blocks..haha), rebuilding small engines and trying to get old dirt bikes running. It was so much better than video games..haha. Being 37 now, highering, and working with a lot of kids out of high school, the lack of mechanical aptitude is crazy. Not trying to knock you just saying its never too late to learn if you have the desire. Learn all you can and have fun.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Good because I’m 39 lol. I can do a lot in the world of home improvement but working on cars/jeeps is pretty new

Eddie Alvarado

Well since the dealer that sold it to you pick it up replaced the parts needed then taking it to get inspected. I would give him the shops name and there inspection sheet that you took it to. I'm S.A.E. certified in parts sales and installing .I really dislike tech's that shaft a customer because they bought the car somewhere else.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using WAYALIFE mobile app

A.J.

You would be surprised how many ASE certified Master techs are YouTube certified too. Between that and the how too videos on this forum you should be able to figure out basic maintenance and a whole lot more. Also remember ASE just means they can pass a test on paper. Real “mechanics” are harder to find. Integrity is also sometimes hard to find.

Ok so two mechanics with combined years of experience longer than I’ve been alive and I’m supposed to learn more than them by watching YouTube or something? I get that I should educate myself and I do with each issue that arises but aside from changing professions to become a mechanic I’m not sure what I can do to learn what parts need replaced and which ones don’t. The biggest job I’ve ever done myself is brakes and rotors and I was mighty proud of that. May not seem like much to most of you but it was for me. Anyways thanks. I just need a trustworthy mechanic.

I feel you. Especially because I'm a chick, and mechanics automatically assume I'm an idiot. Despite the fact that I've worked on vehicles for a living and I've been wrenching my own motorcycle and vehicles since I was like 15... whenever possible, anyway. They have even tried to sell me parts that weren't even on my year model vehicle.

So, last time I moved and had to find a new mechanic, I just went to a few different shops to get quotes on a problem I'd dealt with before (thermostat)- I knew what a new one would cost, and exactly how long it took to change it out. Then I just picked the guy who didn't treat me like an idiot and who gave me the most accurate quote.

Good luck [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Top Bottom