Fuel Leak Found! Now what?

Charlie Mike

So I was greasing up my driveshafts last night, and while I was rolling around under my Jeep I started to see some sort of liquid collecting on the rear joint of the front lower control arm. Gave it a little sniff and it was clearly gas. Did some more looking around and found the fuel leak at the 90 degree fuel line connection on the passenger’s side just above the cross member. Sad day. :sigh: I'm taking it to the dealer today to see what they say. Hoping they can just get it replaced before the weekend. Had a wheeling day trip planned for this Sunday. But I'm thinking for later, if it could happen once, it could happen again. Any upgrades out there for this fuel line? Braided lines maybe? Never done anything like this before. Is it easy to replace?

Fuel Leak 2.JPG

Fuel Leak 1.JPG

Also, I remember seeing a thread not too long ago that described a fire starting on the passenger's side. Then it quickly engulfed the entire jeep within seconds. If I were a betting man, I'd bet it was similar leak. And with one small spark from God knows what, boom, lights up like a drunken high school bonfire.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
i have no experience with this but i would say braided lines may be a good idea. and yea maybe that was the cause of the fire you mentioned. if soo good catch on your part to prevent it

I think the fire started near the engine compartment and on automatics if memory serves me right.

Now for your leak. You probably have a pin hole leak in the line or the T fitting. Clamp all three lines and replace the T. Braided lines are good but not really necessary. For what you are going to pay for braided lines I would run stainless tubing if it that big of a concern. Braided lines are rubber hoses wrapped in braiding. Braided lines are also used in areas where people can look at them like the engine compartment.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom