Gas mileage

KennyFrench

The following are things you can do to increase gas mileage, but only a little.

- Coast to a stop whenever possible.
- If you'll be sitting in traffic without moving for more than 5 minutes - while waiting for a train to pass, for instance - shut off the engine.
- Go without the A/C whenever possible.
- When mall crawling, pull through parking spots - avoiding backing up.
- Keep tires inflated to the proper pressure.
- Don't "warm up" your Jeep in the mornings.
- Change your air filter every time you change your oil.

Doing all these things might bump you up 1 mile-per-gallon which doesn't sound like much, but at 3.59 a gallon (at least here in the 'Plex) it helps.

gtony12

Caught the Bug
Seriously, the only way to decent (subjective to each person) fuel mileage is:

- Keep the entire jeep stock. Meaning: no larger tires, no aftermarket armor, nothing that adds weight or lift kits that will exposing non aerodynamic parts like axles etc.
- If keeping it stock is not a viable option: regearing axles to match tire size and calibrating trans shift point (for automatic trans) or short shifting (manuals trans) as much as possible
- Do not drive over the speed limit. On hwy's try to keep it under 65mph
- No aggressive acceleration, especially from stop lights or stop signs.
- Always run it with the hard top on (soft tops, and no top, has more drag)
- Never take the doors of (also increases drag)

Basically, do everything opposite of what most of us do while we are driving our jeeps and by doing so you will have better fuel mileage, but you will have less enjoyment of your jeep.

Nice Greg that sum's it up!:thumb: = to no Fun!:yup:

SteelBadger

LOL
I hear you. Having 4 vehicles helps. I always steal my wife's car to commute in. Something to be said about 40 mpg.

Too true. A car like that makes a lot of sense as a commuter....unfortunately not everything I do makes good sense. Hence, the Jeep as a DD.:D

jhires

For the most part I see 18mpg out of my '13 JKUR. But I also try to keep it that high. Not having a heavy right foot helps. Drafting helps. Heck, I even draft my wife in her '14 JKR and see +2mpg better than her on the same trip, though, it has cost me a couple of windshields when her Jeep throws rocks at mine. Drafting any type of large hauler really helps. I've seen 22mpg after following a bigrig for 100+ miles.

But sometimes you just have to do things that will lower your mileage. I will not leave my doors and top on just to save gas on a sunny day. Nor will I enter a freeway at 40mph instead of the speed of traffic because I couldn't bring myself to put the pedal down and get up to speed.

And sometimes It's just fun to drive "spirited" :D Then I am more likely to see 12mpg.

Clark Griswold

I have added an advanced lubricant to my 13 JKU that has 33" tires and a 2" lift, I get 17.5 in town and recently between 19 and 20 on the highway running 70 for about 150 miles. This is with a Trek Top NX installed with the rear windows in. This stuff is being tested by Chrysler and several other places, I just happen to work with the mad scientist who developed it and I tested it for him. I put it in my 14 Grand Cherokee as well and get 21 to 22 in town.

Bacon

I have added an advanced lubricant to my 13 JKU that has 33" tires and a 2" lift, I get 17.5 in town and recently between 19 and 20 on the highway running 70 for about 150 miles. This is with a Trek Top NX installed with the rear windows in. This stuff is being tested by Chrysler and several other places, I just happen to work with the mad scientist who developed it and I tested it for him. I put it in my 14 Grand Cherokee as well and get 21 to 22 in town.

6-7 months later...any update on this magic elixir?

Wolf Man

Seriously, the only way to decent (subjective to each person) fuel mileage is:

- Keep the entire jeep stock. Meaning: no larger tires, no aftermarket armor, nothing that adds weight or lift kits that will exposing non aerodynamic parts like axles etc.
- If keeping it stock is not a viable option: regearing axles to match tire size and calibrating trans shift point (for automatic trans) or short shifting (manuals trans) as much as possible
- Do not drive over the speed limit. On hwy's try to keep it under 65mph
- No aggressive acceleration, especially from stop lights or stop signs.
- Always run it with the hard top on (soft tops, and no top, has more drag)
- Never take the doors of (also increases drag)

Basically, do everything opposite of what most of us do while we are driving our jeeps and by doing so you will have better fuel mileage, but you will have less enjoyment of your jeep.

^X2!!!!!!!

Virgil

I see people all the time spend hundreds of dollars on parts to get better gas milage.
Half to full mpg better.

Figure after about 200k miles or so after the mod, the money saved on gas will finally start to be profit :)

That being said, when my wife drives the jeep, she gets 14, when I drive it, I get 18.
No mods gonna fix that other than taking the keys away from her. It's the same thing in my truck though, she just does not drive smooth.

toxicwaste29

I get about 22 on the highway when going around 55. When I go about 70 I only get 19ish. We here in ohio have weird high speed drops.

BitBucket

My 2014 JKU stock gets 22-23 on the freeway at 55. Around 18 at 70, and about 17 as a daily driver. But I have to say the less mileage I get the more fun I have, doors off, top off, crawling and what not. Best bumper sticker ever "Enjoy your Prius, I need the gas!"

Onslaught_jk

I'm getting 18-19 in town and freeway on my 2012 jku sport with 37's @ 24psi running superchips 91 tune and corrected tire size. Just ease into the throttle and coast when stopping

bkac

Caught the Bug
I'm getting 18-19 in town and freeway on my 2012 jku sport with 37's @ 24psi running superchips 91 tune and corrected tire size. Just ease into the throttle and coast when stopping

What gears are you running? That's almost unbelievable it's so good.
My 2014 with 37's and 5.13s with 28psi got 10 around town and about 10.1 on the highway, hand calculated. Lol

Onslaught_jk

My 2014 with 37's and 5.13s with 28psi got 10 around town and about 10.1 on the highway, hand calculated. Lol

Haha I'm on stock gearing, the tires came up for a price I couldn't say no to, I was in disbelief and with 3 full tanks doing the calculation by hand it's true

bkac

Caught the Bug
Haha I'm on stock gearing, the tires came up for a price I couldn't say no to, I was in disbelief and with 3 full tanks doing the calculation by hand it's true

Well then don't regeared or do anything! :)
My 15 completely stock with auto and 3:73s only gets 17.5 highway with cruise set and 15.5 around town.

Onslaught_jk

Well then don't regeared or do anything! :)
My 15 completely stock with auto and 3:73s only gets 17.5 highway with cruise set and 15.5 around town.

I was thinking of going 3.73 but idk now lol I don't wanna drop my mpg much more than what it's at if I don't have to

yokev

This is the internet. You gotta remember that when you read wild claims.
There isn't one vehicle on the planet with 37s averaging that kind of mileage.
You could install a Cummins and it still wouldn't get it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom