Gear Break in Period

computeruser6

Actually the heating and cooling would make them brittle but that is just science. The strength is already there and if you are in charge of annealing your gears I would find a company that knows more about steel.

Sent from my HTC One using WAYALIFE mobile app

That's only partially correct. Excessively high heatup and cooldown rates cause brittle fracture, not simply heating up and cooling down. You might want to look into your science a bit more. The reactor plant I work on heats up and cools down as necessary for maintenance and required operations without becoming brittle as long as proper limits are followed.

I guess you need to lol what ever company you find cause steel reacts the same. The more you heat it the more brittle it gets. Lol

Sent from my HTC One using WAYALIFE mobile app

Actually steel becomes more ductile as it heats up and gets further away from brittle fracture limits, unless the heatup or cooldown rate is excessive. Whoever told you metal gets more brittle when warmer is way off and should be ignored. Brittle fracture is much more likely in low-alloy steels than something like 8620 used in ring and pinion gears. The reference transition temperature (point below at which failure shifts from ductile to brittle fracture) is around room temperature for low-alloy steel and much lower for better forms of steel. As long as excessive temperature changes do not occur brittle fracture is unlikely, especially with more ductile metals.

it is actually about heat cycles. the heating and wearing of the metal on metal strengthens the two while it is getting smooth. that is why they say to do 5 break ins or 5 heat cycles of no more than 20 miles. Yes the heat can cause the metal to warp so allowing proper cooling of the gears and oil will help prevent it. i wouldnt go off-roading untill you hit the 500 mile mark. proper break in will strengthen the gears even more so then they are out of the box

The metal won't get stronger, it's about avoiding excessively fast temperature changes and possibly an excessive peak temperature. Here's what Dynatrac recommends for a gear break-in.

Top Bottom