Getting Jacked - A Trail question

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
Your JK will weigh much more than 4,000 without occupants and gear. Mine is around 5,000 without occupants and has a D30, 35s, sliders and front bumper only. You will be well past 5,000 when ORE is done with you I would bet.

I suspect you are right. I wonder, where can someone get their vehicle weighed? I just think it would be strange to hit up the truck scale stops, right?

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Truck scale would be perfect. More people do it than you would think. Or swing out to my work one afternoon and we can run you across the scale at the pit.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Oh and when I say truck scales, I mean private scales like at a truck stop. I wouldn't go Cruze through an inspection station. HP might not like that.

jeeeep

Hooked
I suspect you are right. I wonder, where can someone get their vehicle weighed? I just think it would be strange to hit up the truck scale stops, right?

you might try your local dump, the local dump here has scales and I've gone and weighed my Jeep there before

Brute

Hooked
I think it looks cool, but with only a capacity of 3,800 pounds, very limited use for our purposes. I figure my JK will weigh about 4,000 pounds without occupants or gear. I can only imagine the pain in realizing that one cannot lift their JK on the trail with this item. I could be wrong, but better to have something and not need than to need something and not have it. Cool idea though for a off-road racing vehicle.

You don't need to lift the entire weight of the vehicle...just a portion of it

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
I thought I had seen a show where a regular bottle jack had been modified for off-road use. Add a v-notch top cap and a more secure base. Something along the lines of this, but a bottle jack rather than a scissor jack.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1462219358.565494.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1462219369.858636.jpg

jeeeep

Hooked
I thought I had seen a show where a regular bottle jack had been modified for off-road use. Add a v-notch top cap and a more secure base. Something along the lines of this, but a bottle jack rather than a scissor jack.
the Safe Jack i described earlier is a bottle jack and either synergy or poly performance makes a cradle you can weld on a bottle jack.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
Truck scale would be perfect. More people do it than you would think. Or swing out to my work one afternoon and we can run you across the scale at the pit.

You know, I might just take you up on that one my friend. Let's discuss later.

Oh and when I say truck scales, I mean private scales like at a truck stop. I wouldn't go Cruze through an inspection station. HP might not like that.

Right? That would be so funny. The story would go something like "So there I was driving through the truck scales despite several warnings and lights. When I got my read out, I just continued onward and then there were more lights and this time sirens behind me. I guess they just wanted to make sure I got home okay but then....."

you might try your local dump, the local dump here has scales and I've gone and weighed my Jeep there before

That is a very good idea. Thank you.

12 ton seems like overkill to me. :thinking: The price point also seems very high. I was also looking at the Safe Jack kits like this basic kit for $179.

http://safejacks.com/collections/bottle-jack-accessories/products/basic-bottle-jack-kit

Is there a reason why a 6 ton jack would not be more than sufficient?
You don't need to lift the entire weight of the vehicle...just a portion of it

I have a 2.5 ton jack and I can tell you it does not lift 2.5 tons at all, barely raises a corner of my vehicle. So I suspect that the rating is not always accurate. I also note that when using said "2.5 ton jack" it takes a lot of work. The higher rated jacks are leveraged for easier work. So when I am pumping a 12 ton jack, it is easier per pump than a 2.5 ton or a 6 ton jack. The relative weight ratings between the two almost dictate a much easier stroke. Also, there is greater material strength in general, which is important when the jack may be fully extended. I am no expert, but I remember my physics classes and hydraulics for the sake of discussion here.

As for the basic Safe Jack Kit, that is the same price as the $188 12 ton jack that I provided in a previous post. But I see that the Safe Jack gives you more, such as a 3 inch extension, flat jack pad, canvas bag and bottle screw adapter, a very nice kit. In looking around, I like the jack bases. But the problem for me, and maybe it is personal, these are Chinese made. Check the manual it says "Printed in China".

Top Bottom