Getting tires soon, have two questions

OsiViper

Getting 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers soon and putting them Pro Comp 7069 wheels.
I'm getting the tires from Discount Tire Direct, is the warranty worth the cost? It's $250 for 5 tires, seems like an awful lot for something I may never use.

Is it worth it to take the TPMS sensors out of the old tires and put them in the new ones? It's gonna cost a fair bit to have 5 tires mounted and balanced. But if I decide to take TPMS off I'll have to pay for them to remove the sensors as well as re-balance the 5 stock tires.
I plan on selling the stock tires and wheels after new ones are on.

Serg5000

Warranty is one of those things that you have to decide for yourself. You may need it and not have it. Or you may have it but never need it.

What's the cost of one tire?? If the cost is close to $250 I would rather save the money and use it to purchase a new tire if the need should arise.

TPMS those things suck ass. I had mine in until we were out on a trail and a friend whom was infront of me had a rock roll into the rim and snap off the sensor stem. The very next day I went to the tire shop and had them removed. I then ordered a ProCal programmer to get rid of the light on the dash for low tire pressure.

The is just my opinion and some of the things I did. Good luck deciding what you should do.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Like all insurance, the tire warranty is a good deal if you have to use it. Otherwise you're just wasting money. :yup:

I'd skip the TPMS unless you rely on it to know if your tires are low. Otherwise it cuts into your $ from the sale of the tires and you have an annoying light on your dash every time you air down. Unless you live in a place where they are required and you have inspections.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I am a firm believer in the tire warranty. However don't let them swindle you for 5 tire warranty. Buy a warranty for 4 tires and call it a day. You won't realize it is worth it until you have a sidewall puncture or another non-repairable failure.

Recently Overlander had a sidewall puncture on his Nitto Mud Grappler and they replaced it for him no problem.

I would imagine that $200 bucks now will more than cover one warranty replacement in the future.

X2 on what MTG said about the TPMS.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
x3 on the tpms. It's worthless to swap. Just keep it in and sell the tires as is with it.

As far as the warranty I got it with my mud grapplers cause you never know when you will pop a sidewall while at the mall :cheesy: but seriously it's a good investment. $50 a tire now or $300+ later

Sent from my iPhone

Brankz

Get it! Just think this way, what happens if you brake or you get some nails on your tires, you will have to buy a new 37 that will cost you 350 plus.

JKFlyer

I wouldn't. I think the warranties are prorated based on mileage and that will be up to whoever inspects it . In other words, if u think u r getting 250 back, u may just get 50 or 100 at end of day

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

MTG

Caught the Bug
I wouldn't. I think the warranties are prorated based on mileage and that will be up to whoever inspects it . In other words, if u think u r getting 250 back, u may just get 50 or 100 at end of day

^This is wrong information...at least through Discount Tire.

If a tire covered by the Certificate for Refund, Repair or Replacement fails due to a defect or an unrepairable road hazard, and still has legal tread (3/32") remaining across the tire, and it has been in use less than 3 years from date of purchase, Discount Tire will give a refund of the full purchase price, together with the applicable sales tax and give you the option to purchase the same new or comparable tire at the refund price, with the payment of any applicable sales tax. There is no prorating, no disqualification for any reason such as run-on damage and no mileage adjustment. It is the very best tire certificate program we know of

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoCertificate.dos

JAGS

Hooked
4 tire insurance is the way to go...unless you plan on doing a 5 tire rotation. The ins is based on serial number in most cases.

The 4 or 5 tire rotation is a whole other convo covered in other threads.

- Jason

Maertz

Banned
if i were to do mine again id get balancing beads instead of having a shop balance them with weights, all it takes is for one to fall off or the tire to slip on the rim. id also skip the tpms.

Top Bottom