Gibson Headers

I bought a set of Gibson shorty's for my previous vehicle (99 F-150) and had the same issues. Exhaust leak was at the pipe/header connection. It couldn't be resolved even by a custom exhaust shop.

I hope your situation turns out better than mine did. Good luck!

Overall "build thread"
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?26097-I-guess-it-s-the-quot-Super-Stocker-quot-build

DIY trail/tube door build http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?24449-My-DIY-Doors

Thanks! Gibson has been great with their tech support. I will have it dialed in tonight ready for tomorrow's run.

parati ad omnia!

Cool man, not arguing anything you have said. But you have been pointing out that you are having difficulties in getting things to seal. Using some sort of paste to get a good deal is only a bandaid. There might also be ongoing heat issues as others have mentioned. Using insulating wrap to keep the spark plug wires from melting is another bandaid that will not last. Also mentioned is rough idling. My belief and opinion, not fact, is that there is very, very little improvement to be gained for giving up a good sealing, smooth running engine. I love headers, I really, really do. I just feel that they aren't worth the headache and hassle on the 3.8 or the 3.6 jeep motors. You mentioned a race car with "stock parts" on it, well how long do those race car parts last without constant maintenance and attention? Not nearly as long as stock parts on a stock motor do. Putting race car parts on a jeep means you will FOREVER be messing with those parts getting them to work for longevity. I admire your perseverance with the project you have and I really hope it works out for you. It's my opinion that these headers will be a constant pain in your ass though.

Totally agree I'm not arguing either!! The 3.8L just sucks all around. I just want to get just a lil lower end torque until I can re-gear and potentially do a V8 swap. I hear that has its drawl backs also. But damn I love this Jeep. :-0.
I've had Gibson headers before and I didn't have any problems at all. Gibson said the expanding and contracting will form the seal and yes the paste is a bandaid until that happens. Fingers crossed... I really appreciate your input. It's good to have knowledge people give advice. I hope they are not a pain in my ass for much longer. If they are, stock manifolds will be re-installed. [emoji51]

parati ad omnia!

JeepJeep75

Totally agree I'm not arguing either!! The 3.8L just sucks all around. I just want to get just a lil lower end torque until I can re-gear and potentially do a V8 swap. I hear that has its drawl backs also. But damn I love this Jeep. :-0.
I've had Gibson headers before and I didn't have any problems at all. Gibson said the expanding and contracting will form the seal and yes the paste is a bandaid until that happens. Fingers crossed... I really appreciate your input. It's good to have knowledge people give advice. I hope they are not a pain in my ass for much longer. If they are, stock manifolds will be re-installed. [emoji51]

parati ad omnia!

Cool deal! Best of luck to you sir!

Okay final write up. I have ran the headers for a few weeks now. I have seen about 1.5 miles gain in mileage. I had to tighten bolts as stated by Gibson. 50, 100, 150 miles. I had a check engine light come on because one of the nuts had backed off and caused an exhaust leak. After tightening the nut and discounting the battery, the light went out. I had a spark plug wire come loose, I'm sure that was an error on my part. So far I'm happy with the install. I will keep them on for a while longer to see if any problems accrue. If not they will stay on. Thanks for everyone's input. It was very helpful. Hope to meet everyone at some point on a run. Happy Jeeping!!

parati ad omnia!

JeepJeep75

Good to hear HMB08JKU. As long as they make you happy it's all worthwhile. [emoji106] So, how about the sound? Does it sound better, more tinny, raspier?

Top Bottom