Gladiator Diesel -- New 2023 What should be changed First???

So, I just picked up my shiny new gladiator diesel Rubicon less than 2 hours after they gave it the recall fuel pump. So what's first??

I am thinking I should take my 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers on Beadlocks from my 2016 Wrangler and swap them with the Rubi wheels. But wondering if the Rubicon wheels are backspaced okay since the new Rubicon actually has wider axles than the 2016 version. Another swap would probably be my LOD front bumper with the warn 8274 winch (although will render my front trailcam useless).

Now for suspension I want to grab the EVO coilovers but going to wait for someone to discount them even though I know EVO rarely get discounted.

Any suggestions for Bellypans??

How well do you think the stock axles can hold up to 37"s??

Oh.... Another item.... Any recommendation on programmers for the Diesel?? Something that may be able to pull more power, disable ESS, etc... ?? Also, be able to be quickly removed so the dealer can not detect it??

I think the 8274 looks crazy funky on newer Jeeps.
Yeah... And even harder yet to get a mount for it as it bolts from the front. But the line speed is unmatched to any newer model winch. It is interesting to see the crazy stuff that has derived from that design. My understanding is they have offroad races in the UK that involve massive amounts of winching to the point they have modified the 8274 design to almost be unreconizable. I typically would not link anything but I think it is interesting to see this: https://gigglepin4x4.net . That is a place I found many years ago but they are too far away (UK) to matter to me. But they have 8274 designs with quad motors and regeared to literally have you running with the winch line.

Also, though .. I have had my 8274 since 1994... The only thing I have replaced is the line and the solonoids. The production date code on mine is 1992. Those things last forever. Plus I have 150 feet of line on mine... Could probably fit another 25-50 more feet if I really wanted to.

bigcale

Caught the Bug
Skids, protect the diesel bits.
Crawled under my buddies last weekend to finally put a lift on and they have definitely saved him from hitting the filters multiple times. If you loose fuel pressure you are dead on the trail.

Skids, protect the diesel bits.
Crawled under my buddies last weekend to finally put a lift on and they have definitely saved him from hitting the filters multiple times. If you loose fuel pressure you are dead on the trail.
Yeah.... Figure i need to get a bellypan asap. Now seems to be what would be the best they seem to range from $2k to around $3.5k?? Most of them talk about not being compatible with Long Arm kits (may want one in the future). I like the Rockhard one but it is one of those that is incompatible with Long-Arm.

Also, what is the consensus Aluminum vs. Steel??

Vengeful One

Yeah.... Figure i need to get a bellypan asap. Now seems to be what would be the best they seem to range from $2k to around $3.5k?? Most of them talk about not being compatible with Long Arm kits (may want one in the future). I like the Rockhard one but it is one of those that is incompatible with Long-Arm.

Also, what is the consensus Aluminum vs. Steel??

Aluminum is much lighter, but without the UHMW over it, it can cause issues with hanging up on an obstacle. It also tends to be a bit more expensive.

Steel is tried and true. Heavier and tends to slide more easily when it encounters the earth in all it's forms. It will rust and will need a coating to prevent said rust. Paint, bed liner and powder coat all work to varying degrees. I have even seen one company that zinc coats their skid plates, which is intriguing.

Both are effective when purchased from a reputable company.

For my Ecodiesel I am going with steel. I figure if I am going to lose that 1.5" of ground clearance on the sides, I want something that slides easier and the Aluminum with UHMW is just not in my budget.

WJCO

Meme King
Aluminum is much lighter, but without the UHMW over it, it can cause issues with hanging up on an obstacle. It also tends to be a bit more expensive.

Steel is tried and true. Heavier and tends to slide more easily when it encounters the earth in all it's forms. It will rust and will need a coating to prevent said rust. Paint, bed liner and powder coat all work to varying degrees. I have even seen one company that zinc coats their skid plates, which is intriguing.

For my Ecodiesel I am going with steel. I figure if I am going to lose that 1.5" of ground clearance on the sides, I want something that slides easier and the Aluminum with UHMW is just not in my budget.
Welcome.

So, for Black Friday I took advantage of the sale at Artec for their Aluminum Bellypan. It seems their system is pretty solid to not snag on stuff and with the sale it was down to the same price as others. I will now look to purchase a sheet of UHMV and just cut it up to bolt to the bottom. I love the company out there that has that pre-done but considering I got my full bellypan aluminum for $2650 and theirs is something like 3500+ without the UHMW and another 1000 roughly to add that. I can pick up a 4'x8' sheet of UHMW in 3/8 for something around 400-600 that would probably cover it twice. just need to cut it up and make some nutserts into the aluminum to mount the plastic.

Will also see how my ATX Chamber Pros with 37x12.5 Nitto's Trail Grapplers fit on my JT without any lifting. I really want to get the EVO Coilover kit for my JT but until I sell my 2016 JKUR I don't have the 9-10k for the EVO kit.

jeeeep

Hooked
So, I just picked up my shiny new gladiator diesel Rubicon less than 2 hours after they gave it the recall fuel pump. So what's first??

I am thinking I should take my 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers on Beadlocks from my 2016 Wrangler and swap them with the Rubi wheels. But wondering if the Rubicon wheels are backspaced okay since the new Rubicon actually has wider axles than the 2016 version. Another swap would probably be my LOD front bumper with the warn 8274 winch (although will render my front trailcam useless).

Now for suspension I want to grab the EVO coilovers but going to wait for someone to discount them even though I know EVO rarely get discounted.

Any suggestions for Bellypans??

How well do you think the stock axles can hold up to 37"s??
IMO, the air flow on these newer Jeeps is more susceptible to air flow blockage from anything in front of it. Seems the design is such that it maximizes a smaller area of airflow.

I think the warn 8274 winch is a cool design but would make sure none of it blocks or redirects the air flow away from the radiator.

Top Bottom