Gladiator Tow Thread

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
We don’t really have full size pickups down here so it’s very normal to tow a 23 foot van behind rangers, hiluxs and other small dual cabs. I don’t think you would have any issues with what you’re proposing.

It won’t be as effortless as a larger vehicle but that doesn’t mean it won’t work.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Sitting at a Job waiting for an inspection... starring at a customers 16’ Airstream in his backyard...lol.. He uses it as an office. For sure man... like Ed said.. “live your dream”.. hope you can make it work.

View attachment 334434

I’m going to try. Thank you for the advice!

Yup - this^^ If you're really gonna do the Airstream, Sipafz, wait until the weather is really shitty to try out the camper. You'd really rather see how well the combo does in adverse conditions rather than find out in the middle of Kansas that you're driving a white-knuckle handful.

I’ve never been to Kansas. Is it really windy there?

This will probably go down with my wife picking the trailer that she can live with, like a 30’ [emoji849].

I think there’s a reason I see retiree’s pulling their jeeps behind their RV’s regularly and rarely see jeeps towing trailers. I wouldn’t want to tow anything more than my setup. The only exceptions I have seen have been an airstream Bambi a couple of times and several T@B’s. Neither of which are “live for months in” trailers. Given your “what we are going to do” plan, an RV with a towed Jeep sounds better, more comfortable, and easier then expecting miracles from a drivetrain ultimately not built for what you want out of it, or at least you will either have to sell the Jeep or downsize the trailer so far that the lack of comfort/amenities will kill that dream in short order.

If the wife decides that she needs more than 23’ then we will get a Ram. If 23’ is the one, I will probably try the Gladiator. If it’s not enough then we will get a bigger truck.

I get it, understand and respect the icon factor. But for permanent living and cost not a complete factor I would look at Bruder Expedition and at least try to rent one for a month

Haha, my wife would never go for that! That’s pretty much the polar opposite of an Airstream.

We don’t really have full size pickups down here so it’s very normal to tow a 23 foot van behind rangers, hiluxs and other small dual cabs. I don’t think you would have any issues with what you’re proposing.

It won’t be as effortless as a larger vehicle but that doesn’t mean it won’t work.

I think that agree with you 100%. I have nothing to base that on, but I’m digging it!

VerdiJeepLife

Wives always want bigger

The number one rule in our house, as mandated by me, has always been, "If Mama ain't happy, nobody will be happy".

The matra of "Happy wife, Happy life" has always served me well.

That being said, chances are that if you show your wife something bigger, she will want it. Most women are just that way, fact of evolution. So if you want her restricted to a '23 then don't show her a '30. If you want her in a condo, don't show here a bigger house, the analogies can continue over a beer sometime....but you get the idea.

Also, if you want a Jeep, DON'T show her one of the new top trip mega cab RAM Trucks... If she's going to be spending a lot of time in that vehicle, most women will want to luxury and quiet ride of the RAM where you won't even notice the trailer.

Also, Ford has an interesting rear steer option that compensates for trailer sway automatically... might be interesting as it provides some safety when towing
https://youtu.be/PIasViILfv0

Last edited:

Brute

Hooked
I’m going to try. Thank you for the advice!

I’ve never been to Kansas. Is it really windy there?

This will probably go down with my wife picking the trailer that she can live with, like a 30’ [emoji849].

If the wife decides that she needs more than 23’ then we will get a Ram. If 23’ is the one, I will probably try the Gladiator. If it’s not enough then we will get a bigger truck.

Haha, my wife would never go for that! That’s pretty much the polar opposite of an Airstream.

I think that agree with you 100%. I have nothing to base that on, but I’m digging it!

Is Kansas windy?...just ask Toto...

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Yup - this^^ If you're really gonna do the Airstream, Sipafz, wait until the weather is really shitty to try out the camper. You'd really rather see how well the combo does in adverse conditions rather than find out in the middle of Kansas that you're driving a white-knuckle handful.

Is Kansas windy?...just ask Toto...

What Ddays was really thinking:

IMG_9576.JPG

🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Also, if you want a Jeep, DON'T show her one of the new top trip mega cab RAM Trucks... If she's going to be spending a lot of time in that vehicle, most women will want to luxury and quiet ride of the RAM where you won't even notice the trailer.

I don’t have to worry much about her wanting a big truck as she dislikes them more than I do. That’s one of the reasons I would like to avoid it if possible. It would be just a tow vehicle and I’m having a hard time adjusting to the idea of using it more anything more than that. The thought of having to drive a huge, clunky, POS for every task or adventure is uninspiring. I love my Wrangler and I believe that I will love the JT just as much. I’m not going to easily give that up.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass

I was just on the gold coast. I only seen one f250. I was really amazed at what I seen towing trailers. What’s with those ugly el comino cars? [emoji23]

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
Since you have the time to wait, I would recommend seeing what the Diesel offers for towing capacity when it comes out. That may be your ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Since you have the time to wait, I would recommend seeing what the Diesel offers for towing capacity when it comes out. That may be your ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Sounds like the diesel will have less towing capacity? See post #16.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
As we dive deeper into this, my wife and I both are leaning towards the 27’ trailer. It has some features that the smaller trailers don’t have and storage is going to be really an issue so more is probably better.

I’m starting to warm up to the possibility of a RAM 1500 Rebel:

IMG_9592.JPG

IMG_9593.JPG

IMG_9594.JPG

IMG_9595.JPG

IMG_9596.JPG

IMG_9597.JPG

Towing info:

IMG_9602.jpg

The maximum loaded trailer weight of 7,600lbs plus the maximum loaded truck weight of 7,100lbs give a combined weight of 14,700lbs.

Total combined weight limit is 17,000lbs with a tow limit of 11,250. That gives me a 2,300 cushion or 13.5%. Going bigger is just more prudent even if it’s not more fun. Beside that the Rebel does have a decent sized sun roof and the 12’ Radio monitor is pretty nice.

Top Bottom