GM 4.3 engine swap?

GAdawg88

Custom engine swaps take a TON of work and research. Why would you go to the trouble of removing a V6 only to put another V6 in there? As far as making parts, not sure what you mean. but as far as custom mounts, adapters, that's a probability. I don't know of anyone who has done something like this. A V8 swap seems to have a higher demand for aftermarket support.

^^ Second this motion ^^
Additionally, if you look up the specs for the GM 4.3 and the engine you currently have, you'll find that you really gain nothing with this swap but a few extra pounds, no significant power advantage. If a swap is inevitable in your buil, there are alot of small block V-8 out there that will fit in the same hole the 4.3 would, as the 4.3 is fairly wide for a V-6. Swaps are a true money sucking pain in the ass modern in vehicles because of all the ECM issues that go along with them, especially if an auto tranny is involved, not to mention all the clearance issues due to the tighter tolerances inside the engine bay these days. Just my two cents. I'd definetely stay away from the "coveted" 4BT swap too. I have a buddy that has a 4BT swap in an 06 LJ, and the damn thing will rattle your effing brains out, and you just about need a respirator to live in it with the top off. Sounds cool though, like an old Massey Ferguson Tractor.

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
I saw one of those 3.8 common rail swaps and it's cool to see one but it didn't do well in the jeep. Lots of drama behind that build. It was done by Bruiser conversions. You can read all about it in the "calling out bruiser conversions". I would add the link but don't have those skills on my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Lil Nasty

So the specs on that engine show 267 ft/b torque and the 3.6 VVT V6 has 265ft/lb. As someone that's driven but never owned a diesel, would someone like me really be able to tell any difference? I understand that's at a lower RPM but how would that translate in real world situations?

The low end torque is something that's hard to explain. Add to that diesel turbo boost.[emoji7] my mother drives a diesel VW Jetta that's 14 years old during the week. It's a fun little car with something like 170-190 ft/lbs. Diesels are making the most torque when "lugged" vs newer gas engines "screaming" for torque.

Ddays

Hooked
The low end torque is something that's hard to explain. Add to that diesel turbo boost.[emoji7] my mother drives a diesel VW Jetta that's 14 years old during the week. It's a fun little car with something like 170-190 ft/lbs. Diesels are making the most torque when "lugged" vs newer gas engines "screaming" for torque.

Probably the closest I would be able to relate to is the difference between a two stroke & 4 stroke bike I guess- Its a seat of the pants feeling that the engine will just keep pulling and not bog down. Low end grunt for the lack of a better explanation maybe?

NavyJeeper

I mean if your thinking of doing an engine swap why not go diesel[emoji1] I mean it's gonna be a lot of work like if you went with 4.3 but at least you'll get a work hoarse out of it... Cummins is working on a crate engine program right now for jeeps. I just saw it on dirt everyday.

Lloydsmale

same RATED hp but after driving my jk for a while id say jeep is pretty optimistic with the 3.6 motors hp rating. Like I said the 4.3 club cab 4x4 Silverado with 343s would easily show taillights to my 2 door 3.6 jk with 3.73s. Personaly looking at the paper figures id say jeep is hiding about 30-40hp somewhere where I cant find it.
:thinking: Huh?

Granted, the 4.3 does have roughly 45 ft/lbs more torque than the 4.6 (roughly 305 vs 260) but is that small of a difference worth trying to jam a square peg into a round hole? Good luck if that's what you end up doing but why not put your time & energy into a LS swap where there is pretty good support out there if needed & really make the changeout worth the effort? I can appreciate wanting to be different but man you are really gonna have a battle with that swap.

Ddays

Hooked
same RATED hp but after driving my jk for a while id say jeep is pretty optimistic with the 3.6 motors hp rating. Like I said the 4.3 club cab 4x4 Silverado with 343s would easily show taillights to my 2 door 3.6 jk with 3.73s. Personaly looking at the paper figures id say jeep is hiding about 30-40hp somewhere where I cant find it.

Maybe back in the 60's & 70's I'd agree with you on that but no way manufacturers get away with inflating numbers anymore.

And there's a shitload of variables that affect acceleration; tranny ratios, final drive ratio, weight, blah, blah, blah. I'm not saying the 4.3 isn't a good motor, just saying that for the negligible gains made the headache don't seem worth that much effort to be different. :twocents:

highoctane

Caught the Bug

It's been awhile since I've seen acceleration specs on the 3.6 JK,but I'm pretty sure it's in the high 6 second range 0-60, and 15s in the 1/4 mile. Not fast by today's standards, but 20 years ago the Mustang GT could barely muster those numbers. For some reason I have a hard time believing a v-6 chevy truck could.

5280Sapper

My thoughts on the Bruiser Conversions.
It would be better to hold out for the new JL if you really want a diesel

Sometimes thats not an option for people though.... I wouldn't ever purchase a kit from anyone personally lots of wasted money there... but majority don't have the skills to do a swap also.. I posted the video purely to display the new Cummins crate motor.

2Cross

Caught the Bug
Sometimes thats not an option for people though.... I wouldn't ever purchase a kit from anyone personally lots of wasted money there... but majority don't have the skills to do a swap also.. I posted the video purely to display the new Cummins crate motor.

I understand. Cummins are nice

Top Bottom