Good Basic Tool Kit

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Great advise. Since I have a sport, rear locker, I'm pretty much on the easier hard trails. Swapping a u joint out is beyond me. On those kind of trails I'm running with people who could help. When I run on my own it's more intermediate trails. So I'm thinking something like a 150-200 piece tool kit, plus some of Eddies recommended tools where I could at least limp back to a main road.

A u joint can let go anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I have a cheap Harbor freight 301 piece tool kit I got maybe 6 years ago now that was only $130 at the time. Has most of the tools you need. One area tho it lacks is box wrenches.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I guessed that would be the case but how often does that happen on easier trails? I'm in shape to walk a ways.

If you’ve ever seen a pickup on the side of the road, with the driveshaft hanging down, he probably lost a u-joint. In other words, it can happen anywhere, not just during wheeling. It isn’t really that complicated to fix. I fixed one at 14 years old, with no internet, and no mechanical experience.

YellowFever

This thread brings up a question I have. What is the minimum mechanical ability one should have before going out on the trail? Are there repairs you should practice in your driveway before going out?

WJCO

Meme King
This thread brings up a question I have. What is the minimum mechanical ability one should have before going out on the trail? Are there repairs you should practice in your driveway before going out?

I think having a basic understanding for steering, suspension, and brake systems is important. Just so if something were to happen, you could figure out a way to hopefully get it back together and off of the trail safely. Example would be if you had a leaking brake hose, you can pinch it with vice grips to stop the leak, or the ability zip tire or wire tie a loose steering part to get you off of a trail, etc. Those aren't ideal repairs but they'll at least keep the rig going for a little bit. Knowing how to remove a front axle (and carry the tools) is important IMO.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
If you don't have the knowledge wheel with a group. Chances are there is someone who knows what needs to happen to safety get you off the trail. If by yourself and you have to walk out, at least try to winch yourself out of the way so that your broken rig isn't blocking a trail for others.

Coop

Caught the Bug
If you don't have the knowledge wheel with a group. Chances are there is someone who knows what needs to happen to safety get you off the trail. If by yourself and you have to walk out, at least try to winch yourself out of the way so that your broken rig isn't blocking a trail for others.

Wheeling with a group that has a few who have mechanical skills and experience is smart. I would imagine a fairly high percentage of Jeepers do not have mechanical skills to do much trail repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Nearly everyone that I ever wheel with has the knowledge and experience to do most trail repairs. Perhaps this is just coincidence, or the fact that people in the repair field tend to know others in the same or similar type of profession.

Define what “trail” means to you. Should you go on a an overlanding trip through the desert by yourself? Hell no. Run some two tracks, for sure. You don’t need to practice any repairs, just start doing your own maintenance and the knowledge will come. Nothing is really that complicated, you’d be amazed the amount of help and supervision you can get with a 6 pack.

Top Bottom