Got some jeep money... need help spending it!

TwtPunk08JK

I ran a 2.5" Rough Country budget boost for about three years while I was saving up to for more.
A budget boost is good off road, but on road you may run into death wobble.
I'm currently running the TeraFlex 6" long arm kit on 37" tires.
If you want something for just now, go with the budget boost, however, if you want something for the long haul; go with a long arm kit.

Sent from my EVO using WAYALIFE mobile app

Mallard8767

Here's what I've "narrowed" it down to (even though I really haven't made any additional decisions :banghead: )

Level 8 Trackers 15x8
35x12.5x15 duratracs

And one of the following lifts...
FT 3" economy with bilsteins and front track bar
TF 2.5" with bilsteins and front track bar
RK 2.5" with bilsteins and front track bar

Anyone have experience running these lifts without adjustable arms? How was the driveability? Also, anyone have good things or bad things to say about the ride and durability of each manufacturer's springs (aka sag)? How do they hold up with bumpers and winch? Finally do any of these correct the factory rake?

Eddie, how was your experience with the FT 3"? Also I'm pretty sure you helped install a 3" economy and did a write up, any remarks?

Thanks again!
Jonathan

Sent from my SCH-I535 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

suicideking

Here's what I've "narrowed" it down to (even though I really haven't made any additional decisions :banghead: )

Level 8 Trackers 15x8
35x12.5x15 duratracs

And one of the following lifts...
FT 3" economy with bilsteins and front track bar
TF 2.5" with bilsteins and front track bar
RK 2.5" with bilsteins and front track bar

Anyone have experience running these lifts without adjustable arms? How was the driveability? Also, anyone have good things or bad things to say about the ride and durability of each manufacturer's springs (aka sag)? How do they hold up with bumpers and winch? Finally do any of these correct the factory rake?

Eddie, how was your experience with the FT 3"? Also I'm pretty sure you helped install a 3" economy and did a write up, any remarks?

Thanks again!
Jonathan

I have an RK 2.5" MT with Bilsteins. RK springs are progressive rate (wound tigher at the top) so they help compensate for sagging. Teraflex are not progressive rate, so will sag more. Plus RK lifts run taller than Teraflex.

Tackerdown

Banned
I have an RK 2.5" MT with Bilsteins. RK springs are progressive rate (wound tigher at the top) so they help compensate for sagging. Teraflex are not progressive rate, so will sag more. Plus RK lifts run taller than Teraflex.

I have a problem with this progressive rate spring. If you have a spring wound tighter at the top and less at the bottom wouldn't extra weight just cause the bottom to compress more to compensate for the stiffer top? :thinking:

Mallard8767

I have a problem with this progressive rate spring. If you have a spring wound tighter at the top and less at the bottom wouldn't extra weight just cause the bottom to compress more to compensate for the stiffer top? :thinking:

Well....

I'm not sure how it actually applies to the ride but spring force linearly increases based on the spring rate and distance compressed. So I would assume that the section with a smaller numerical rate would compress first and with less force until the higher rate section compresses due to an increased force. I think the trick would come from overlapping the compression distances/forces. Like I said I know the theory just not how the real world plays out. I think it would mostly affect ride comfort with small forces aka on the street.... I don't think it would affect spring quality or sag over time.

suicideking

I think the reason for it is the tighter wound coil up top allows less flex. Figure the Jeep is not flexing most of the time, so the tighter wound springs are stronger and support the weight which results in less sagging.

EDIT: Wondering myself, so did a search. Found a great explanation by Metalcloak. Start a this thread, post 193 and continues to the next page:

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71064&page=8

Last edited:
Top Bottom