GraniteCrystal build thread

GraniteCrystal

Plasti-dip grill

Plasti-dipped the grill on Scout. Here is brief how to. It was really easy and the plasti-dip looks great. Curious to see how it holds up over time but hopeful since so many guys use it. Total time was about 3-4 hours but the vast majority of that is dry time between coats. I gave it about 45 minutes between coats and then let the last coat dry on overnight before putting everything back together.

Here is a shot of the product I used. Not many options at the hardware store so it's hard to get the wrong one, but thought I'd include anyway.
IMG_20160305_084109.jpg

Step 1: clean it thoroughly. I used my usual car wash product and warm water, then dried it off. Let sit for a few minutes to let any water evaporate off.
IMG_20160303_193323~2.jpg

Step 2: apply a light first coat of paint. Repeat with heavier coats for 2, 3, and 4. It'll look pretty wet after each coat, but after about 15-30min it flattens out nicely.
IMG_20160303_203222.jpg

The finished product after 4 coats and a night of drying inside where it's warm (nights too cold in CO for drying paint):
IMG_20160304_095455.jpg

Step 3: Reassemble everything
IMG_20160304_164432.jpg

IMG_20160304_164421.jpg

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Came out great. I experimented with my spare one time. I rushed however and might try again. Had a friend that applied that to his Camaro wheels and had no problems. It had been on for a couple of years.

GraniteCrystal

Came out great.

Grill look wicked, Great job !

Came out great. I experimented with my spare one time. I rushed however and might try again. Had a friend that applied that to his Camaro wheels and had no problems. It had been on for a couple of years.

Thanks guys!

Catahoula, I'm sure you could nail it the second time if you don't rush it. Very straightforward.

GraniteCrystal

Titan straps for the win! Secured two fishing poles on the rear cross beam of the roll cage. Trout beware.

Attachments

• 1457220446220.jpg
    1457220446220.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 602
  • 1457220456515.jpg
    1457220456515.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 649

Bunz-o-fun

Just went through your thread. Nice build and I love the bumper. I was looking for a mid width a while back and I was torn between the LOD and the JCR. Love the bull bar, gussets, lights and the finish turned out nice too.
The CB is on my short list and I may use your approach.

GraniteCrystal

Just went through your thread. Nice build and I love the bumper. I was looking for a mid width a while back and I was torn between the LOD and the JCR. Love the bull bar, gussets, lights and the finish turned out nice too.
The CB is on my short list and I may use your approach.

Thanks! I was also torn between the LOD and JCR. Planning on cutting the fenders soon which should help with the look a bit as well. Not a fan of how the lines don't match up right now.

Bunz-o-fun

Agreed. I've subscribed to a couple of threads about the fender trimming. I think Eddie may have done a write up too somewhere. Post it up once you are finished. Curious how you tackle the trim.

GraniteCrystal

Agreed. I've subscribed to a couple of threads about the fender trimming. I think Eddie may have done a write up too somewhere. Post it up once you are finished. Curious how you tackle the trim.

Absolutely. I try to always give a little write up of how I do these things in case it can help someone else.

Top Bottom