gunrock trail, yalwal and bawley point

dunstan74

over the last three weeks I've spent some time wheeling and exploring a few different places close to home on south coast of new south wales and though I would share with every one here on wayalife.

first off ill start with a trip that took me and my girlfriend along with a work friend and his family up into the Illawarra's escarpment and through the gunrock falls trail.

after turning off onto gunrock falls trail from the main road.
View attachment 67714

after about half an hour driving through the bush we reached the top of the falls and had some lunch before continuing on our way.
View attachment 67715 View attachment 67716 View attachment 67717

coming down a small rocky ledge that lets you drive over the top of the falls.
View attachment 67718

water crossing on top of falls.
View attachment 67721

about to go for a swim on the way back through.
View attachment 67719

taking a different route back to the road we had to cross a rocky stream that cut through the bush.
View attachment 67720

that's about it for gunrock trail.

Yalwal.

Yalwal is the site of a former gold mining town that gold was discovered in the 1850s and open cut mines operated throughout the area until the pressures for material supply in world war one forced operations to cease and most of the town stripped for resources. the remaining buildings suffered its fate at the hand of one of Australia's most devastating natural forces, fire. the whole town was completely destroyed and with no plans to rebuild it, ruins of the town now lay underneath the manmade danjera dam that is part of the Shoalhaven water supply.

it does take long after setting up camp for the neighbours to come down from the tree looking for an easy meal.

DSC_0801 (800x533).jpg

working our way down the powerlines track

DSC_0843 (800x533) (2).jpg

stumbled across this on our afternoon bushwalk. anyone guess what it was originally?

DSC_0907 (800x533).jpg

ruin of an old stamping mill from the gold era.

DSC_0935 (800x533).jpg

another shot.
DSC_0936 (800x533) (2).jpg

about an hour into the bush we finally found what we were looking for, an abandoned mine.

DSC_0956 (800x533).jpg

DSC_0960 (800x533) (2).jpg

DSC_0962 (800x533).jpg

walking back to camp we stopped in to check out an old grave yard. the oldest head stone reads from 1854.

DSC_0971 (800x533) (3).jpg

DSC_0974 (533x800).jpg

and finally a secret look out that is four wheel drive access only and not known to most.

DSC_0859 (800x533).jpg

DSC_0858 (800x533) (2).jpg

This was my first time at Yalwal and all I can say is that its such an amazing place with endless opportunities to explore historic sites that time has forgotten. cant wait to take on a few of the harder trails it has to offer in future.

bawley point.

after back to back trips around the south coast, me girlfriend and I thought why stop anytime soon? so it was to be four days of camping/hiking/spear fishing and wheeling in one of the most peaceful places I know. balwey point.

shot of the beach leading to nuggan head land (home to one of the worlds best bodyboarding waves during the winter)

DSC_0998 (800x533).jpg

top of durras mountain showing where bush meets sea.

DSC_1011 (800x533).jpg

more neighbours looking for food.

DSC_1043 (800x533).jpg

and another little critter waiting for some dinner to walk past.

DSC_1062 (800x533).jpg

seeing as there arnt any wheeling photos we managed to get heres a shot of my jeep in the car park.

DSC_0993 (800x533).jpg

sunset through the gum trees.

DSC_1017 (800x533) (2).jpg

well that has been the last three weeks of my adventures cant wait to watch my jeep and the size of our journeys grow in the future. i want to say thanks to wayalife for offering this site to us and thanks to everyone on here for making this community great. the jeep way of life has changed mine for the better that's for sure. :standing wave:

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Very nice photos of a cool off road adventure. At first glance I was trying to figure, where in the U.S. are we? It's early in the morning here so after a little coffee and noticing right hand drive, marsupials, and snakes this time of the year it had to be somewhere "down under." Thanks for posting.:thumb:

dunstan74

Thanks linebacker glad you liked them. Yep the land down under haha id love to do a trip around America you have some amazing counrty over there. And not to mention what you can build your jeeps up to be and still drive it on the street.

Top Bottom