Gussets ordered - do I need offset/adj ball joints?

teamahh

It was explained to me that cupping occurs from worn suspension parts. The main characteristic of "cupping" is a wavy or cup shape on the inside of the tires. You can feel it raise and fall when you run your hand over it and when it is bad enough can see it as well. I had a lowered mustang with bad struts, wore out a set of tires quick. If the excessive wear is even around the entire tire that is an alignment issue.

Hmm never heard of wavy tire wear. Not exactly sure what you mean by that. Mine is pretty even across the tread of the tire, it only very slightly seems like there is less tread on the inner edge of the tires compared to the outer edge. Wish I had a gauge to actually measure it

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Not much play in the wheel, if any that is noticeable. But the unit bearings are definitely stock, sitting on non gusseted and 35s for quite some time now. I guess it wouldn't hurt to upgrade those while I'm in there doing the gussets. I'll give those a shot and see if they help my camber. I saw the nice write up on here, will order a set of those. Thanks jknikos for the insight! I'm learning something about my Jeep every day on here

Yea doesn't hurt to put on some new unit bearings while your installing the gussets and ball joints. Your going to have it all apart anyway. Here is the unit bearing write up Wayalife did. I would suggest using the timkin unit that he uses in his write up. It's super cheap thru Amazon.
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=19332

BdugJK

Hmm never heard of wavy tire wear. Not exactly sure what you mean by that. Mine is pretty even across the tread of the tire, it only very slightly seems like there is less tread on the inner edge of the tires compared to the outer edge. Wish I had a gauge to actually measure it

Ah thought I read that you had cupping. Just for future reference is a picture I pulled from the world wide inter web. west_houston_vw_tires_2.jpg

teamahh

Ah thought I read that you had cupping. Just for future reference is a picture I pulled from the world wide inter web. View attachment 206918

Let me rephrase then, to be more clear. The tire wear I am experiencing looks like 'camber wear', where the tire has more inner wear than outer. In my mind, it sounds like cupping, as in similar to what a cup looks like. My mistake, should have used the world wide inter web first.

IMG_20160605_171940_zpsfm0z96ph.jpg

teamahh

update: Gussets welded as of a week ago. New unit bearings in as of yesterday. Now I just need to go back to alignment shop and see if the unit bearings improved my camber at all. Though i don't think I'll be worrying about it anymore. Sounds like mine isn't too bad compared to others.

Top Bottom